Subvert Central

Full Version: What do YOU start yer tune-writing with?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yeah Macc, we KNOW!!! Drums

Everyone else? Twisted

I used to find a break I liked, cut it up bla bla bla, then find one or maybe 2 more, then go looking for some vocal sample(s) that create some kind of atmos or energy with the breaks while they're looping over.. then go look for some melodix (strings, pads, whatever) to try and establish the er... 'key' of the track (sorry, no-musical-training Massive say Aye!), then... go look for some bass.

But then I changed my tack! Now I'm trying to keep it more minimal, so I work up from other more riff/rhythm-based sounds (incuding bass), and build the drums around them instead... seems to be a better approach for offsetting the slide into orchestral madness that usually occurs when I'm trying to make tunes.. Roll
depends. it can be anything really.

i usually get something down (beat, bass, atmos, synthline, whatever) and if things start to fall into place then i keep working at it and if nothing does then i give up and start again (or try and add stuff for ages and get pissed off, then give up).
Yes Naphta, usually it is drums, but I have started quite a few tunes because I have had a distinct idea for a riff, bassline, or whatever. Then I program it and usually end up removing half the notes cos it sounds cheesy, and work from there.

Smile
i do start with drums too 80% of the time but, some times just hihats or a melody and get about 10 tracks running together,
some of my best tunes (imo) have started with just hats and strings depends on the nature of the tune for me though,
depends, some times the drums and get them sounding ok then add the rest, but sometimes i can start with a nice pad or some crazy sound then loop it and start adding the rest
I seem to end up writing melodies and fx first, but seem to scrap it cos I can't get it to sound how I want.

So at the moment I am trying something different and writing the drums and bass first, then see how I want the melodies to work with that structure.

Though I do have some idea of the sounds I want to get in there anyway.
Ahem... not a producer but this might hint at the way I should begin to produce!

Started a track 2 weeks ago with me mate Bee.

We cut up a Bernard Purdie break arranged it and then came up with an 808 bass riff.

Went back to the tune last weekend and added a synth bell-riff I came up with... then decided that it didn't actually suit the bassline so we ended up coming up with a new bass riff aswell!

Added a few dark atmosphere's (really horrible!!!) to go with the bells and now I'm beginning to think that the drumkit (and pattern) doesn't suit the rest of the tune...

Baffled
Code Wrote:Added a few dark atmosphere's (really horrible!!!) to go with the bells and now I'm beginning to think that the drumkit (and pattern) doesn't suit the rest of the tune...

Baffled

Why not bounce all the atmospherics and use them to start another tune, with drums you think fit better.

Then go back to the tune with the purdie break in and write something round it that fits??
most tunes i make all centre around a hook i.e. a riff with bass and drum and anything else that goes into making it sound interesting.when i have a basic 4 bar riff then i build around it to make the tune.
Lately I've been starting things off with a pad or a sound...vocal...chord progression...whatever. Something that establishes the mood or atmosphere of the piece. Then its a toss up between picking a break that works or playing with bass sounds and patterns.
Logos Wrote:Why not bounce all the atmospherics and use them to start another tune, with drums you think fit better.

Then go back to the tune with the purdie break in and write something round it that fits??

This is a very good idea. So many of my newer efforts are compilations of breaks from one tune, vocals and pads from another etc. etc. This way, good ideas needn't go to waste!
Yeah, I have recently made a 'sound and midi dump' folder for all the stuff from shit tunes, so it doesn't go to watse.

It's filling up disturbingly quickly.....
I used to always start a track with the drums. But nowadays I usually start with the bass, which works quite ok because you can lay down both the basic harmonies and rhythm at once and then build the track from this foundation. There are exceptions of course, sometimes I just run across a sample, sound etc. that tickles my inspiration and start from that.
Logos Wrote:Why not bounce all the atmospherics and use them to start another tune, with drums you think fit better.

Yeah - could do that...

not sure if it's the kit itself or the pattern that isn't fitting... haven't heard the thing in a few days now!

I'm thinking a break pattern change might fix things... we'll see.
Macc Wrote:Yeah, I have recently made a 'sound and midi dump' folder for all the stuff from shit tunes, so it doesn't go to watse.

It's filling up disturbingly quickly.....

search and *.wav or m8 thats how i find my long lost stuff and then drag out the ones i want into a folder
in fact i seached for all my old cubase .all files and found 400 of them feckers Icon_eek some of em are from the atari
i never start with beats

most of the time i just hear something in my head (besides the evil voices telling me to kill everyone Twisted ) and try to get that sound down

than i try to find the beats that could fit in, etc...
Naphta Wrote:What do YOU start yer tune-writing with?

lifting the piano lid Smile
90% of the time I always start with pads, the other 10% of the time I start with drums. Smile
Usually I start with drums, make a melody, and write the bass around that. However, this is the simplified version. I usually start with drums, add bass, scrap the drums, change the bass, add new drums, write a melody, change the melody, write a new bassline, add more drums, take some drums away, etc until I have a finished track.
cloak and dagger Wrote:usually i start with drums, make a melody, and write the bass around that. however, this is the simplified version. i usually start with drums, add bass, scrap the drums, change the bass, add new drums, write a melody, change the melody, write a new bassline, add more drums, take some drums away, etc until i have a finished track.

Hahaha Xyxthumbs
macc Wrote:Hahaha Xyxthumbs

drum & bass = trial & error Oops :d
well, for me it's;

drums = Xyxthumbs

bass = error.

but, yeah :d
break/ drums then bass!!
never with drums.......

i try to find some atmos that are so interesting that they get me going.
usually i start layering atmos and find out what goes with what.......

if it sounds good enuff, then imma dig out the break.

after that i usually have to admit that only subby basses fit the tune Hahaha
Pages: 1 2