Subvert Central

Full Version: MP3 players and in-ear headphones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Subvertles, i need your valued opinions

I am thinking of buying a Cowon iAudio D2, they look like the nuts cracks:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/...review.php

im pretty much gonna buy one unless someone can give me a reason not to?
they play loadsa file types, they arnt drm encumbered, you dont need special software etc and they play video too! Grin

I also want to get some new swanky headphones, i dont know much about good hi-fi headphones though. i dont want to spend a ton on them, maybe £30 max and i dont like those ones that go right in your ear and 'inject' the sound, i just dont feel safe when using those and crossing roads Baffled
So if someone could suggest some decent normal in-ear headphones id be most grateful

cheers Smile
I think you should buy an iPod with an irritating picture of U2 on it. Then buy the expensive, cheaply made headphones Apple offer.
Sir Loris Of Crowthorne Wrote:I think you should buy an iPod with an irritating picture of U2 on it. Then buy the expensive, cheaply made headphones Apple offer.

I was thinking about it, its certainly an option to consider.
Its just annoying that Apple dont offer a Stereophonics version of the ipod, i would definatly buy one... then again, i could just buy the U2 one and load it up with 80gb of Stereophonics tunes to get the best of both worlds! Lol
what kinda price is this thing, look nice \m/
£145 for 4gb

the good thing is that it takes SDHC cards so you can slip in another 4gb card for another £15 or so off ebay Smile
yo! i actually spent loads of time with the iAudio U3. i worked for SRS labs and there's a bit of DSP in the iAudio units by BBE that's supposed to make MP3s sound better. i did a bunch of tests on the BBE DSP bit. the mp3 enhancement isn't great but everything else was top notch. the headphone preamp is much nicer than what they put in the ipod and you have loads of control over the DSP and the sound. as an audio geek that is very important to me. i actually ended up jacking the iaudio player when i left the company (good times).

i have an ipod but i use the iaudio player more often. the only thing i can think of where the ipod wins is the controls. can't beat the scroll wheel. also the itunes integration is kinda nice. unless the D2 is different from the U3, you only have this little joystick and it's a pain to skip to the middle of a song or a dj mix...

re: earbuds, i don't know. shure and etoymitic (sp) make some really dope and really expensive ones, but other than that. i would like to know what you find out about earbuds...
ooh touchscreen, that's nice. the D2 looks fucking hot. it has the BBE dsp stuff and looks like a tits headphone amp. my U3 doesn't handle AAC but supposedly the D2 does. yeah. actually i want one too.
Homerdrool

only thing is 4gb is a bit small. those ipods have such massive disks. but if you're like me, neither 4gb or 40gb is enough to house your entire mp3 collection anyway.
records in WMA Icon_sad
In the way of in ears, in my experience of using and selling em, I found the "injecting" type are the best for a full range sound.

I use a pair by Shure, they are now branded as the gaming edition, but they're brillo pads
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Produ...2g_content

They come with a selection of fittings for all ears too Smile
cable is nice n thick aswell
Sennheiser CX 300 (thanks John).

Best in ears I have heard, but again they are the 'injecting' type. Just pop one out when you cross the road Wink
instead of in-ears, i opted for sennheiser hd-25-1...they're over ear (better for you anyway) and great bass response for their size...
hmmm, i might cry.
I cant find any other headphones that look nice that arnt the 'injecting' ones which im scared of and also find very uncomfortable for long periods of time, i have some sony ones i got with my phone, used them at work for a while but now just use some batter old ipod ones.
it just seems a waste to have a nice sounding player (albeit mp3 Lol) and bog standard headphones.
I seen some sennheiser ones that look ok'ish for £15 or so, the most expensive ones i could find (obviously i looked for the cheapest price on them though) Baffled
ordered the player today, should arrive tomorow, I opted to pay the extra few quid to get next day delivery Grin
think im gonna mull on the headphone sitch for a while though Baffled
Macc Wrote:Sennheiser CX 300 (thanks John).

Best in ears I have heard, but again they are the 'injecting' type. Just pop one out when you cross the road Wink

i got these and theryre pretty good for those type of phones.

[rant]
Im unbelieveabley pissed off about the headphone situation at the moment though - Ive been using Sony lightweight/flexible 'over the head' Sony mdr-a34 (or a variant) for years. They have small buds that rest in your ear, and cost about 7-15 euro depending on the model.

Earlier this year Sony stopped making them - and there isnt a single headphone on the market that does the same thing - in fact its impossible to buy an over the head/in the ear combo.

What the fuck is that all about???

I dont like injection phones because they fall out, plus theres an increased risk of ear damage, those around the ear phones are just shit, standard 'brillo pad' phones are generally to bulky and goofy for my tastes...[/rant]

Ive emailed Sony numerous times but have yet to recieve a response.. the pricks! Lol
In-ear / injection headphones = long term ear damage, stop using them folks Icon_eek
there are some new sony ones out that are wicked mate.

i will find out for you

peace
hades Wrote:there are some new sony ones out that are wicked mate.

i will find out for you

peace

Xyxthumbs thanks! but actually it looks like im a numpty. Oops

the exact phones i used were: sony mdr-wo8 - i searched and searched for them online about 6 months back and couldnt find a trace. the 3 sony shops in dublin said they were no longer available - but i just found a link to the other ones!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33...tereo.html

im just gonna buy 10 pairs now!
JayDoubleU Wrote:In-ear / injection headphones = long term ear damage, stop using them folks Icon_eek

Why?
Macc Wrote:Sennheiser CX 300 (thanks John).

Wink
You're the bestest etc
Macc Wrote:
JayDoubleU Wrote:In-ear / injection headphones = long term ear damage, stop using them folks Icon_eek

Why?

well, if his original statement is accurate, they will cause hearing damage you ninny.

:P
the in-ear thing isnt strictly true. in-ear headphones rarely fit very well (every ear is different) so you often have to turn them up much louder than you need to - result being hearing damage if you try drowning out loud traffic or tube noise.

earphones ( a la etymotic research/shure etc) supply a range of buds for ears big, small and oddly shaped. And as they act like earplugs and reduce ambient noise, you can run them at much lower volumes than conventional in-ear or over-ear 'phones. Conversely that means they can produce frightening sound pressure levels if you're one of those twats who runs their ipod at full volume. Grin
Macc Wrote:You're the bestest etc

He's probably the best person I know within the M25.
dodz Wrote:
Macc Wrote:

Why?

well, if his original statement is accurate, they will cause hearing damage you ninny.

Very droll :P

I meant why do they 'automatically' = ear damage? Batfink's post in on th money. If you're stupid enough to run your iPod at full irrspective of the situation, then yes (I don't btw!!) , but I wondered if there were some other physiological reason for saying that.
I run my iPod on unleaded at roughly 4 decibels per second. Works fine for me.
Pages: 1 2