Subvert Central

Full Version: Tings what I listened to today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
muttley Wrote:i'm going to purchase all of them. nice one statto. Smile

Kisskiss Wave

but it's intended as an ongoing thread
you might end up purchasing rather a lot Smile
xenakis - phlegra, jalons, keren, nomos alpha, thalleïn, naama, khoaï, komboï, a l'ile de gorée

2xcd (for £3.35 in the marketplace) Xyxthumbs

but it's all about the second disk which has xenakis' work with harpichordist elisabeth chojnacka
does she give the stupid instrument some hammer or what

[Image: smashfreakB.gif]
david watson - fingering an idea (2xcd)

one side (sinister) obscure solo guitar sounds
one side (dexter) modern music for six sets of highland bagpipes

clips here

it's all about the bagpipes Yes
since everybody likes pictures, i'll answer with them:

bone awl cassettes and 7"s
[Image: 6d23c4ad6070142ae75a4fc93d601e67.jpg]
[Image: 126478d71c5b484542a8190ba24d4acd.jpg]
[Image: 7b78be9f5c9c8aad061c89524e790116.JPG]
[Image: AHRtogetherweb.jpg][Image: AMDMAN.jpg]

[Image: soft_cell_nonf.jpg][Image: 2128902.jpg]
[Image: Swastikas_for_noddy.jpg]
Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic doing 'Brahms - Symphony #1'

for the love of..... Homerdrool
Paulo Angeli - Tessuti

reworkings of tunes by Fred Frith & Bjork on a modified sardinian guitar.

Mike Barnes Wrote:Fitted with a spike and played while seated, this acoustic guitar is bowed or plucked and strummed like an ordinary guitar. It also has a set of six hammers situated above the bridge that hit the strings when operated by footpedals. It incorporatees sympathetic strings and there are pickups all over its body – 15 inputs in all were used for these recordings. All these radical modifications and the extended technique needed to play the instrument wouldn't amount to so much if the results weren't so impressive.

clips here

there are no overdubs btw Smile
radio at work as usual No
statto Wrote:david watson - fingering an idea (2xcd)

one side (sinister) obscure solo guitar sounds
one side (dexter) modern music for six sets of highland bagpipes

clips here

it's all about the bagpipes Yes

you know nothing of bagpipe music.
you'd be wrong there [Image: 201tongue.gif]
jimmy giuffre - free fall

i've never much liked the (b-flat) clarinet as an instrument — it always sounds a bit too round and sweet to my ears — but this particular record is awesome. jimmy giuffre plays jazz clarinet with parps, squawks, chromatic runs, microtones, and other sound effects, as though it's all been composed by berio.

the original lp (the first ten tracks) has three trios for clarinet, piano (paul bley) and bass (steve swallow), two duets for clarinet and bass, and five solos for unaccompanied clarinet. the remastered version has another trio and five more clarinet solos. well worth £3 of anyone's money.

Falcon Falcon
pulled this outta the heap today Lovesmilie

[Image: 411PHFMBJ6L.jpg]

mm. mmm. Cool
statto Wrote:jimmy giuffre - free fall

i've never much liked the (b-flat) clarinet as an instrument — it always sounds a bit too round and sweet to my ears — but this particular record is awesome. jimmy giuffre plays jazz clarinet with parps, squawks, chromatic runs, microtones, and other sound effects, as though it's all been composed by berio.

the original lp (the first ten tracks) has three trios for clarinet, piano (paul bley) and bass (steve swallow), two duets for clarinet and bass, and five solos for unaccompanied clarinet. the remastered version has another trio and five more clarinet solos. well worth £3 of anyone's money.

Falcon Falcon

giuffre is awesome! so under-rated. i particularly like his work in the trio with jim hall.
statto Wrote:
muttley Wrote:i'm going to purchase all of them. nice one statto. Smile

Kisskiss Wave

but it's intended as an ongoing thread
you might end up purchasing rather a lot Smile

don't mind if i do. please, keep going Kisskiss

i'll get round to checking them this week Icon_yippee
statto Wrote:you'd be wrong there [Image: 201tongue.gif]

Hahaha classic

bagpipes in effect
other bagpipe music:

Scottish Highland Bagpipes
John Burgess - King of the Highland Pipers
obituary

Irish Uilleann Pipes
Kevin Rowsome - The Rowsome Tradition
some clips

Northumbrian Small Pipes
The Kathryn Tickell Band
her website

Blue
Naphta Wrote:bagpipes in effect

tune Grin

and that concludes my knowledge of bagpipe tunes
i just restored one of my hat art cds that got corroded over time, stoked because theres a bunch of music i love all over it..
please say something about it Wave
king crimson - the great deceiver vol.1 (live 1973-1974)

this is seriously rocking — some proper noisy stuff with fripp tearing it up, and some solid art improv as well

big up whoever it was recommended this in the wire

Xyxthumbs
hild sofie tafjord - kama

lovely lovely noise Lovesmilie

here's what somebody says about it:

stereogum Wrote:norwegian noise musician hild sofie tafjord is a member of the duo fe-mail, spunk, and trinacria. she's also collaborated with wolf eyes, matmos, carlo giffoni (no fun echo), birchville cat motel, ikue mori, fred frith, etc. i pull out the laundry list because kama's her first solo album -- and truly a beaut. it's one 41-minute track with tafjord's french horn layered and mutilated into a merzbow buzz. recorded in oslo between september 2006 and february 2006, it builds and mutates, gaining force, cicada-buzzing, and extreme heights during its run. if you dig this wee monstrous gale, search out the rest via pica disk.

excerpt here halfway down

[Image: twothumbs.gif]
statto Wrote:king crimson - the great deceiver vol.1 (live 1973-1974)

this is seriously rocking — some proper noisy stuff with fripp tearing it up, and some solid art improv as well

Xyxthumbs

love king crimson, all i heard is the court of the crimson king album though... must dig deeper
j.digital Wrote:
statto Wrote:king crimson - the great deceiver vol.1 (live 1973-1974)

Xyxthumbs

love king crimson, all i heard is the court of the crimson king album though... must dig deeper

danny baker's favourite.
Such - The Issue At Hand

Yoshikazu Iwamoto (shakuhachi) + the current incarnation of AMM: John Tilbury (prepared piano) & Eddie Prévost (percussion).
2½ hours of pure improv to be listened to with equal concentration.

and I should really be working Oops
statto Wrote:such - the issue at hand

yoshikazu iwamoto (shakuhachi) + the current incarnation of amm: john tilbury (prepared piano) & eddie prévost (percussion).
2½ hours of pure improv to be listened to with equal concentration.

and i should really be working Oops

then i recommend you 'variety', with marcus schmickler:

http://www.bleep.com/current_item.php?selection=a29_dm

3 pounds well spent, for 41 minutes of delicate piano improv Yes Xyxthumbs
nice one Icon_yippee
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6