Subvert Central

Full Version: analog clipping-good or bad??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
???

ie - putting stuff thru desks etc to make them distort.

the waves look trhe same(but smoother) but teh distortion seems to sound soooooooo different! Icon_eek

sounds ok to me. is it generally accepted as good- or frowned upon?
Depends on a lot of things, but if it sounds good, why not? Smile

Be caureful though - it's often not that pleasant when the desk is cheap (ie cheap channel components) and it's going on on every track in the mix. Gives a nasal-sounding cheap distortion which isn't really that nice.
macc Wrote:if it sounds good, why not?

Yes
Note the other bit though Teef
Macc Wrote:Depends on a lot of things, but if it sounds good, why not? Smile

Be caureful though - it's often not that pleasant when the desk is cheap (ie cheap channel components) and it's going on on every track in the mix. Gives a nasal-sounding cheap distortion which isn't really that nice.

cheap transistor distortion Icon_sad i had a yamaha desk a few years back, trying that was pointless, i think digital clipping / distortion was nicer sounding Hahaha
Macc Wrote:Be caureful though - it's often not that pleasant when the desk is cheap (ie cheap channel components) and it's going on on every track in the mix. Gives a nasal-sounding cheap distortion which isn't really that nice.

was gonna get bimma to make me a mixer. better watchit then! Teef
worth getting stuff with valve componetsn tehn? do they givethe same type of distortion??