Subvert Central

Full Version: Robert Henke talks with Rashad becker about mastering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think that has been posted here before but worth another read.

Interesting to note on the latest Monolake there is no compression anywhere, from mix to master.
whats the latest monolake?
the distortion thing is interesting
Quote:Mastering was done entierly in the anolog domain, using a selection of vintage and high end EQs running at 'hot levels'. This impies there is a certain degree of saturation going on in very loud parts due to electrical characteristis of the tubes, transistors and audio transformers involved, but that's it as far as nonlinear behaviour is concerned.

So if i understand this correctly, the final master is compressed, but without using a typical Compressor..

So... In the plugin world this process could be emulated by running hot into Voxengo varisaturator for example?
Fada Wrote:the distortion thing is interesting
Yes
This was a great read, thanks.
Ashtonron Wrote:So if i understand this correctly, the final master is compressed, but without using a typical Compressor..

So... In the plugin world this process could be emulated by running hot into Voxengo varisaturator for example?

No need to run hot into the plugin - just use the controls on the plugin to'drive' it internally.

But yes, essentially saturation amounts to compression, albeit without time constants (no attack/release control). A 'memoryless nonlinearity' as the UA webzine doctor types refer to them as. They're not all the same - the specific tone (ie harmonics generated) depends upon a lot of things, primarily the shape of the transfer curve, which in turn depends on the component that is causing said non-linearity. So different components sound different cos they saturate at different levels, in different ways.

It's like, mad complex, get me?
This shows a variety of saturation curves for something COMPLETELY non audio related;

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/fig...41-8-l.jpg

The curves are all different but you can see how they go non-linear towards the top, you put more in but get less out.

The various different shapes (imagine these are audio components now Grin ) would give different harmonic structure, and the different levels (y axis) mean that some saturate earlier than others, ie less headroom.
I get you... how much did you say again?

What you said makes sense, i have some math history so I can start to see why it all gets a bit hairy... some times its nice to be blissfully ignorant... easier to just muck about..

by the way... Bob may have a little ditty to send over as long as my missus does not give birth in the next week, are you mad busy? shall I wait until after crimbo.. nothing big though..
markgabba Wrote:http://monolake.de/releases/ml-025.html

:X

damn it stop making music people!
Ashtonron Wrote:I get you... how much did you say again?

What you said makes sense, i have some math history so I can start to see why it all gets a bit hairy... some times its nice to be blissfully ignorant... easier to just muck about..

by the way... Bob may have a little ditty to send over as long as my missus does not give birth in the next week, are you mad busy? shall I wait until after crimbo.. nothing big though..

Always time for you sir Smile Bung it over and I'll get it back before you can say 'give me an epidural' Teef

Good luck Wink
holy shit
thanks for the heads up on the new album
interesting read too