Dancehall Fans Against Homophobia

217 Replies, 54918 Views

[Image: top_banner3.jpg]

DFAH (pronounced differ) – because we’re DFAHrent

In 2005, the reggae subgenre of dancehall is under attack from a variety of sources. Most of these attacks relate to the homophobic content of some dancehall record releases. However, many of these attacks are so woefully inaccurate as to be dangerous in their own right. Dancehall Fans Against Homophobia is a newly formed organisation of dancehall fans who are as fed up with governmental and media attacks on dancehall as they are with the handful of deejays currently releasing homophobic records.

1) We are fans and supporters of reggae, dancehall and Jamaican music in all its forms.

2) We are opposed to homophobia and homophobic lyrics.

3) We call on record companies to desist from releasing homophobic records and to encourage their artists to perform lyrics dealing with other issues.

4) We will no longer buy records with homophobic lyrics.

5) We call on soundsystems to desist from playing homophobic records, or from making homophobic comments on the mic at dances.

6) We will no longer support homophobic soundsystems.

7) We reject the demonisation of reggae and its fans by parts of the media.

8 ) We are opposed to state bans on artists.

9) We recognise the long history of homophobia in Jamaica and that there can be no "quick fix". We propose that the way forward lies in dialogue and not in gesture politics.

10) We would like to open up a dialogue between reggae fans, artists, labels owners, soundsystem operators and the reggae community worldwide.

If dancehall fans are interested in signing up to these principles, they should log on - www.dfah.org , and step on prejudice, in all its forms.

Press enquiries & media comment - [email protected]

SIGN OUR PETITION!
woah! interesting.... Chin
conscious lyrics..seen?

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
Yea, I support this. Peter Tatchell seems to have it in especially for dancehall and ignores all the homophobic (and more popular) rap and hip hop stuff like Eminem which reaches a wider audience and is more damaging if you follow Tatchell's argument.

We've needed a voice shouting for the other side for a time and this could be it. I will sign your petition.

Cool,
Nick Smile
just out of curiosity, are most of the members of this group from the danceahall community originally? (culturally, as it were.....ie. did you grow up listening to reggae? were you born and bread on it?) or have you grown a love for the music independantly from your own upbringing?

i would be the latter.....i'm a whiteboy from canada that was raised on the classic rock and old jazz records....

the reason i ask, is cuz i think it's interesting to see weather you're people that were raised listening to music, in a community that tended to embrace the homophobic sentiments and you've gone through some sort of evolution and in turn REJECTED that ethos, or if you (like me) are people who have always been against homophobia in general since you were old enough to have an opinion on the matter, as a disassociated or more removed listener. (ie. you persued an interest in dancehall music by choice once you were old enough to decide you liked it)

either way....interesting concept, i'm all for it! the homophobic element of some reggae music is, IMO, it's biggest downfall....so many other truly GREAT things expressed though that sound and culture!
got exposed to it when i was 4 living in scarborough, seen?

otherwise my family listens to greek pop and folk music.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
dodz Wrote:just out of curiosity, are most of the members of this group from the danceahall community originally? (culturally, as it were.....ie. did you grow up listening to reggae? were you born and bread on it?) or have you grown a love for the music independantly from your own upbringing?

i would be the latter.....i'm a whiteboy from canada that was raised on the classic rock and old jazz records....

the reason i ask, is cuz i think it's interesting to see weather you're people that were raised listening to music, in a community that tended to embrace the homophobic sentiments and you've gone through some sort of evolution and in turn REJECTED that ethos, or if you (like me) are people who have always been against homophobia in general since you were old enough to have an opinion on the matter, as a disassociated or more removed listener. (ie. you persued an interest in dancehall music by choice once you were old enough to decide you liked it)

either way....interesting concept, i'm all for it! the homophobic element of some reggae music is, IMO, it's biggest downfall....so many other truly GREAT things expressed though that sound and culture!

Though I am 100% white, 2 of my uncles are black caribbeans. In the 70s my parents were into the black music scene a bit (and northern soul and some metal and pink floyd lol) and used to check all night reggae parties at our neighbours house. I was brought up with it thanks to my (mixed race) cousin who was brought up pretty much by my parents. She also introduced me to rave and is the reason I do what I do. I owe her a lot... more than she realises.

As for the homo"phobic" thing. I never really thought about it in the dancehall lyrics. A lot of my family are religious, some are catholic, some are C of E and my parents are Jehovah's Witnesses. I personally have been through all that plus Hare Krishna and Taoism and I'd be weird anyway, the religious aspect has just added to my colourful personality Wink. It has also effected how I developed opinions on homosexuality. Personally, I don't like it. I think it's a bad thing to do, morally. In a free speaking world, I should be allowed to say that. However, I think that homosexuals have a right to do what they want to do. Just don't force it in my direction. I don't want to know. I think that's fair.

"Homophobic lyrics" however.... Well, I don't think there is an issue. I think ppl should say what they want. There are just as bad lyrics in hip hop and metal. Worse things are talked about by religious leaders. Boom bye bye forced Buju Banton into making roots shiz (though he says he was going that way anyway). I think it's a great track. I don't think the words incite violence, but I can see that we all have to make compromises now. That means everyone (including homosexuals).

Check that site above, there's some news stories of interest. Like this one:
http://www.blackmusiccouncil.com/index.p...m=&ucat=1&

Cool,
Nick
I respect your freedom to believe and say what you want Nick, but I have to disagree - I don't beleive gay men and lesbians should have to tolerate threats (idle or not) of physical violence up to and including murder. That is something no one should have to endure in the name of give and take. In fact I don't think they should have to compromise their way of life for anyone.

That said I don't think Jamacian society can change over night, nor do I think banning artists in the UK, as much as I dislike their lyrics will change much (though it might for the major labels). So in that way I think the initiative mentioned above is interesting and potentially fruitful.

FWIW I think Dodz was referring to the people behind the DFAH group rather than the background of those on SC.
Bump & signed
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
Quote:Personally, I don't like it. I think it's a bad thing to do, morally. In a free speaking world, I should be allowed to say that. However, I think that homosexuals have a right to do what they want to do.

Thats fine. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. Just one question

Quote:Just don't force it in my direction. I don't want to know. I think that's fair.

Whos forcing what in your direction? Seriously. Whats this paranoia all about? Are you worried theyre going to 'recruit' your kids or something? Imagine your statement referenced an ethnic group instead. it would be unnaccptable...

pacific Wrote:Homophobic lyrics" however.... Well, I don't think there is an issue. I think ppl should say what they want. There are just as bad lyrics in hip hop and metal. Worse things are talked about by religious leaders. Boom bye bye forced Buju Banton into making roots shiz (though he says he was going that way anyway). I think it's a great track. I don't think the words incite violence,

Er... Im with you on the Metal thing, I think Nazi racist metal should be banned from the airwaves as well, but have you ever listened to the LYRICS to 'Boom bye bye'? If telling people to 'turn to the matic and the Uzi instead - shot dem a shot gwan shot them dead.. boom bye bye inna batty bwoy head..' isnt incitment to commit violence against homosexuals than what is????? IMO its certainly a lot worse than calling a woman a 'ho or 'bitch' in a rap/r+b track, as is Beenie man saying "Lets execute all the gays" in one of his tracks, and all the other endless examples. (ive put a 'classic' below) - If you cant see a problem there then fair enough, but I think it crosses the line from a Freedom of speech issue to a incitement to hatred issue...

Quote:but I can see that we all have to make compromises now. That means everyone (including homosexuals).

Yeah, from now on, when they're being burned and beaten to death in Jamaica and abused on the streets of England they could make a few compromises... maybe they could 'turn the other cheek'? come on...

"Inna Manhattan you have 42nd street,
Gay man a walk and a push up on the street
Draw big stone fi go lick out one teeth
Me girlfriend call me - Bailey bwoy dont do it
Its a Gay man country let dem mek dem do it

Meh Know! - say Gay Man we a have in Jamaica
But dem caan model pon we - pon no corner
We a lick dem down mek dem left the area
So one Sunday ina the boiling sun,
me see 2 gay man and me start run dem down..."

Admiral Bailey - "X rated country" 1992 (I think)
Quote:Tatchell is quick to snap back. As someone who in the past was at the forefront of campaigns against censorship, he tells me that he's still for free speech. The problem, he says, is that certain Jamaican artists have crossed the line from criticising homosexuality to inciting violence against those who practise it. 'Singers have the right to criticse homosexuality, but free speech does not include the right to incite the murder of other human beings', he says. 'We are not campaigning against lyrics that are homophobic; our campaign is explicitly and exclusively against singers who promote the killing of gays and lesbians.'

I think this sums up Tatchell's argument well.

Having read Doctah X's reponse, I really don't buy it. Would he extend his desire for 'freedom of speech' to songs that advoctade the 'murdah' or rape of children, for example? I don't think so. People who make a noise about advocating 'freedom of speech' usually have their own lines that they won't cross (unless they're Erbanta Grin )

It's unfortunate that the criticism of dancehall and reggae artists over homophobia appears to some to be yet another chapter in the white man's historical oppression of the black man. That oppression cannot be denied - and it is inexcusable, but - as with Israel/Pelestine, that does not give a licence for the persecution to be passed on to another.

When I first startd to dip into dancehall a few years ago, I was blown away by its vigour and its innovation, but the realisation of much of its lyrical content put a profoundly depressing dampener on my enthusiasm. I'd love to be able to enjoy it without feeling like I was supporting a culture that was vehement about persecuting a minority simply for their sexuality (which, like the colour of their skin, THEY ARE BORN WITH).
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/...14,00.html

biggy c Wrote:they're popular tunes with the black gay crowd. they're good beats. we don't take what those records say seriously. we can stand up for our shit. nobody's going to burn us up in fire. nobody's going to chop our heads off. records that say 'faggot' in them or whatever ... all the more! all the more!

Xyxthumbs
Thanks for the link Statto, interesting reading.
droid Wrote:er... im with you on the metal thing, i think nazi racist metal should be banned from the airwaves as well

Teef

anyways statto comes correct with the right link Xyxthumbs
erbanta Wrote:
droid Wrote:er... im with you on the metal thing, i think nazi racist metal should be banned from the airwaves as well

Teef

anyways statto comes correct with the right link Xyxthumbs

heh.. good on them - thats what i say! although i have to add that in over 4 years of 'reserching' this subject, this is the first time ive ever come across such sentiments (other than naphtas vague mention of a gay dancehall scene a few months back...) the quotes normally go something like this:

Quote:'i wake up in the morning not knowing whether today i will live or die," one gay jamaican told me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/...92,00.html

Quote:two weeks ago jamaica's most prominent gay activist, brian williamson, was murdered at his home. mr williamson, a co-founder of jamaican forum for lesbians, all-sexuals and gays (j-flag), was found with multiple stab wounds to his neck and his face and his throat cut...

... last may mr williamson wrote to the national newspaper, the jamaica observer, explaining: "we who are homosexuals are seen as 'the devil's own children' and passed by on the other side of the street or beaten to death by our fellow citizens."

the hatred has followed him to the grave. "we've had one or two well wishers from the straight community," said the j-flag representative. "but many more have said things like: 'this is what you get for sin' or 'we should get them one by one.'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/stor...41,00.html

and theres plenty more where that came from...
logos : yeah i was refering to the people who are involved in the group, but it's interesting to hear everyones experiences/history with this music regardless!

i suppose i'd have to say that i still beleive in the freedom of speech thing regardless....i don't think censorship is a solution to any of the hatefull sentiments that are expressed though music.....society needs to process and resolve these issues outside of the realm of it popping through the surface of artistic expression....like, if someone writes a song about wanting to commit genocide against a specific group of people.....stoping that record from comming out is not going to change that persons ideolgy in the slightest....if anything, it'll probably elevate the extremism. also, arguing that granting people access to this music is morally wrong is putting the eggs in the wrong basket as well.....people who were open to suggestion regarding hateful practices were open to it before they heard that song (or whatever the supposed "catalyst" was).

for example: i'm not homophobic. there's no song or art or speech or anything that will change my stance on that issue. the music that boulsters my own politics were sought as an afterthought to "who i am". i suppose that's the optimist in me though.... it's a really interesting issue with regard to cultural relativism....it's kind of a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" type thing.

what came first : the love or the hate? (was i raised to love, or do i love naturally....?)

Chin
droid Wrote:heh.. good on them - thats what i say!

exactly — i love the sentiment Yes Xyxthumbs

but as you say...

droid Wrote:although i have to add that in over 4 years of 'reserching' this subject, this is the first time ive ever come across such sentiments (other than naphtas vague mention of a gay dancehall scene a few months back...) the quotes normally go something like this:

Quote:'i wake up in the morning not knowing whether today i will live or die," one gay jamaican told me.

Quote:two weeks ago jamaica's most prominent gay activist, brian williamson, was murdered at his home. mr williamson, a co-founder of jamaican forum for lesbians, all-sexuals and gays (j-flag), was found with multiple stab wounds to his neck and his face and his throat cut...

... last may mr williamson wrote to the national newspaper, the jamaica observer, explaining: "we who are homosexuals are seen as 'the devil's own children' and passed by on the other side of the street or beaten to death by our fellow citizens."

the hatred has followed him to the grave. "we've had one or two well wishers from the straight community," said the j-flag representative. "but many more have said things like: 'this is what you get for sin' or 'we should get them one by one.'"

things are rather different in jamaica than on the birmingham gay scene
pacific Wrote:It has also effected how I developed opinions on homosexuality. Personally, I don't like it. I think it's a bad thing to do, morally. In a free speaking world, I should be allowed to say that. However, I think that homosexuals have a right to do what they want to do. Just don't force it in my direction. I don't want to know. I think that's fair.

Similarly... I don't like that. I think it's a bad opinion, morally. In a free speaking world, I should be allowed to say that. However, I think that you have a right to think what you want to think. Just don't force it in my direction. I don't want to know. I think that's fair.

Kisskiss
Statto Wrote:
pacific Wrote:It has also effected how I developed opinions on homosexuality. Personally, I don't like it. I think it's a bad thing to do, morally. In a free speaking world, I should be allowed to say that. However, I think that homosexuals have a right to do what they want to do. Just don't force it in my direction. I don't want to know. I think that's fair.

Similarly... I don't like that. I think it's a bad opinion, morally. In a free speaking world, I should be allowed to say that. However, I think that you have a right to think what you want to think. Just don't force it in my direction. I don't want to know. I think that's fair.

Kisskiss

hahahaha.....brilliant stattron!

this means pacific will have to delete his post, as it could easily be considered (as it is by me) "in our face".

so far there are no professions of flagrant homosexual activities in this thread that would warrant such exclusions on behalf of pacifics right to "moral privacy" as it were.

funny! hehehe...
Statto Wrote:Similarly... I don't like that. I think it's a bad opinion, morally. In a free speaking world, I should be allowed to say that. However, I think that you have a right to think what you want to think. Just don't force it in my direction. I don't want to know. I think that's fair.

Kisskiss

hooray, a moral relativist! sc isn't doomed after all!

Kisskiss
freedom of speech is as important in modern society as any other facet of our existence.

Therefore censorship of any kind is WRONG!
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:freedom of speech is as important in modern society as any other facet of our existence.

Therefore censorship of any kind is WRONG!

So you think it should be tolerated if, say for example, someone wanted to distribute a magazine called 'niggerkiller' which encouraged people to attack black people?

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
that's already going on.

Of course I wouldn't agree with it but ppl still have the freedom 2 say what they want.
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:that's already going on.

Of course I wouldn't agree with it but ppl still have the freedom 2 say what they want.

exactly....it IS, and has been going on in one way or another for AGES.

it's not the publication of "niggerkiller" itself that is the problem. it's the THOUGHT behind it that needs to be dealt with. seen?
...and you can't legislate for thought - at least, the kind of society it would create would not be worth living in.

Icon_cry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homophobia / Racism Altered Ego 39 6,634 29th September 2010, 23:49
Last Post: Nervenom
  Droid inna London - Dancehall/Rub a dub/Ragga Jungle droid 13 4,606 13th August 2009, 07:10
Last Post: MetaLX
  Pinch - Underwater Dancehall Spectraz 18 5,360 22nd December 2007, 22:02
Last Post: tyler
  Woofah (dubstep/grime/reggae dancehall) magazine droid 15 4,827 12th September 2007, 09:59
Last Post: droid
  Droid Inna Dancehall Vol.2 - Alternate Roots droid 5 1,772 24th November 2005, 15:37
Last Post: droid