Subvert Central
today, I... - Printable Version

+- Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: today, I... (/thread-59936.html)

today, I... - girth_maul - 11th June 2014

Thanks man! I need to learn to trim the vids down shorter and more fun. Then go faster like the pros and try not to die ;-)

today, I... - cube - 11th June 2014

nice trail Smiley

today, I... - Statto - 12th June 2014

Up til 1:30 last night rereading the old correspondence chess magazines I used to edit. Damn, my book reviews were so rude. Hahaha

today, I... - MetaLX - 12th June 2014

Post some highlights please, including what you were commenting on. Hahaha

MetaLX Wrote:Post some highlights please, including what you were commenting on. Hahaha

It's relative rudeness of course – just some guy (me) being rude about famous grandmasters in print – dunno if you'll think it terribly rude. But okay, I'll search some stuff out later Smile

Okay, here are a couple of extracts. I dunno; maybe these won't seem so rude, but they are...

Paul Keres: The Quest for Perfection - Paul Keres & John Nunn
(...) Nunn, in order to include games up to Keres' death, has annotated 14 further games himself. In these Nunn restrained his own analytical excesses and "tried to maintain Keres's style of annotation as much as possible" – with amazing success. It is a superb mimicry, reproducing the essence of Keres right down to the profusion of "However"s and "Moreover"s. If it does not quite match the wit and verve of John Nunn's Best Games (with the deathless prose, "a chill wind blew over the rocky terrain") – never mind. It is much harder to make non-trivial annotations of someone else's games and Nunn was clearly preoccupied with the chess. (...)

The Complete Najdorf: 6 Bg5 – John Nunn
There seems to be a fight going on for the hearts and minds of monograph consumers. In their introductions many recent authors have spent time trying to justify their own format. In the Complete Najdorf Nunn opens with a diatribe against too many complete games: "Unlike many contemporary openings books, you will find very few complete games. (...) A few carefully selected complete games can be beneficial, but in my view an opening book should be about the opening". Leaving aside the dubious grammar (I am not a contemporary openings book) the fact that Nunn includes over 550 complete games rather dilutes his argument. Still, the point is made, if not well made: Nowadays the information is best found by consulting a database not an openings monograph. (...)

...I just find it amusing that I could take the piss out of Nunn (who was one of the world's greatest grandmasters and chess authors) so shamelessly.

Hahaha

today, I... - Muttley - 12th June 2014

Very good Lol

today, I... - Muttley - 12th June 2014

Wed – 1 apple 2 pear 1 banana / 2 rocky road bars 1 healthy extra / milk 1 healthy extra / mixed mexican veggies, spiced fish and boiled potatoes / 2 small slices of pizza 2 syns each / bread and butter pudding 8 syns / 1 can carling 8 syns making 20 syns max for day / seafood sticks.

Thu – 1 apple 2 rocky road bars 1 healthy extra milk 1 healthy extra beef dinner yorkshire pud 2 syns / 3 pints ale 24 syns = 26 syns, prawn curry and pilau rice meal = 12 syns = 38; rice and beans = 2 syns = 40 syns; pig out day.

James Street Tavern piano practice*
Review of Holykindof release - TBC
Orphy Robinson gig? Nah I've just listened to the 2-years-ago gig at the same venue on YouTube and it's ok.*
Upgrade of Command Centre on MuttleySV1 base*
Washing/tumble drying*
Shower*

today, I... - MetaLX - 13th June 2014

You kept them on their toes Statto Hahaha

today, I... - Muttley - 15th June 2014

13/06/14

Crisis Skylight music group wasn't on – so it was a good walk back to the James Street Tavern where I had 1-2 less – 2 pints ale (Porter and Vicar's Daughter) and 2 orange juices. Done 1 new piano improvisation good enough to release on a live EP. Several others less formed. Went down to Nan & Grandad's, Nan addressed my Dad as Michael and I initiated a conversation with both of them at this time where she said "Yes because he's (my Dad) also a Dad!" I didn't say anything more on that at the time. Won a point on the Dumbass Record Collection Quiz for guessing John Fahey on http://www.nightshift.oxfordmusic.net. Discussed doing a then-suggested Smartass Music Collection Quiz next year when gappy's is finished. Managed evening without Diazepam despite several voices shouting at me in my head.

14/06/14

Review of Holykindof*
Meal with Nan & Grandad*

Watched Natasha Khan of Bat for Lashes play Shepherd's Bush Empire before I saw her live for the second time on video on YouTube. It looked like the video had been edited to splice the location between 02 Academy Oxford and Shepherd's Bush. She started crying before she played "Moon And Moon", the piece I've learned to play.*

Food diary

Fri – 2 pints ale 16 syns / 3 glasses wine at Nan & Grandad's = 12 syns = 38 syns / 2 rocky road bars 1 healthy extra / milk 1 healthy extra / 3 apples / herrings in sunflower oil, beans and pilau rice = 2 syns = 40 syns, gahhh.

Sat – 1 banana 1 apple / fruit bread and strawberry jam for breakfast / milk 1 healthy extra / small glass wine 4 syns / lamb gijon with salsa sauce, mushroom, home cut chips 12 syns / belgian chocolate brownie 12 syns = 30 syns 2 glasses red 8 syns = 38 syns, gahhh again.

today, I... - Muttley - 15th June 2014

Foci's Left Bandcamp - http://www.focisleft.bandcamp.com - now has well over 1000 plays! And I sold 4 records in the last week! Enough to treat myself to a meal at my fave buffet. Thanks so much Nat! That buffet is The First Floor Indian, Chinese & Thai. The Lamb Ghost and Butter Curry were particularly good last visit Smile

today, I... - +ToRMeNT+ - 17th June 2014

3 fortune cookie notes for today..

- Your life will be happy and peaceful.

- There is no distance between you and wisdom.

- Your knowledge and experience will help many people.

been hitting up a fair bit of repeat visits to a couple Chinese buffets the past week or so. I ate too much on Saturday tho. i survived. i survived the salt attack too. lol.

today, I... - Statto - 17th June 2014

... got up very early (5:00) and am now listening to Robert Hood - Minimal Nation

Dance

and if I start work soon I'll have a lot done by "getting up" time and will feel very satisfied Bluesmiley

today, I... - Muttley - 17th June 2014

Went to dentist, absolutely fine - great since I haven't been there in 5 years.

+ToRMeNT+ Wrote:3 fortune cookie notes for today..

- Your life will be happy and peaceful.

- There is no distance between you and wisdom.

- Your knowledge and experience will help many people.

been hitting up a fair bit of repeat visits to a couple Chinese buffets the past week or so. I ate too much on Saturday tho. i survived. i survived the salt attack too. lol.

Thanks Wave

All-ou-can-eat Indian, Chinese and Thai on Thursday night; rewarding myself for losing a bit of weight this week.

Mon – 2 apples / milk 1 healthy extra / Mixed chicken kebab and small chips = 15 syns for day.
Tue – 2 peaches, 1 apple, 1 pear / Raspberry and Apple juice / milk 1 healthy extra / seafood selection / hot & spicy chicken wings (3), sauteed potatoes with garlic sauce & salad 6 syns for day.

Total weight lost this week – 1/2 pound – 1 pound. I didn't end up going to my Slimming World group as I had to leave the car and walk back on the way up - over thinking kills your happiness.

Finished a mix, "Depth Charge" (see header page) - my most complex d'n'b mix 1t 150-155 BPM with lots of crossfading and different key transitiions, with some live virtual instrumentation. Posted on Bat for Lashes' Facebook wall as it includes one of Nat's tunes.

And ascended to rank 2867 world on Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances out of 20000+ players, and after just 2 1/2 months in the game.

today, I... - Muttley - 18th June 2014

Food: 3 apple 1 pear 1 peach 1 satsuma / milk 1 healthy extra / fish in tomato sauce / lasagne and garlic bread with roasted pepper and salad 12 syns / 1 can carling 8 syns = 20 syns / liver & onions meal.

Music: Rich Shapero with Maria Taylor - Dawn Remembers CD (Too Far paperback accompanying audio). Bonobo - Days To Come Instrumentals CD. Foci's Left & Geoff Brooks - Hypnosis Session 1: Dreams. Didn't play piano like a pro today, luckily it was on keyboard in my parents' house. Went to Tavern but open mic set up.

Reading: Butterz Invisible Jukebox in The Wire #366.

today, I... - MetaLX - 19th June 2014

Coffee > gym > football > dog.

today, I... - Muttley - 22nd June 2014

Coffee is in inverse proportion greater than your dog. Hahaha

On the listening list today:

Thump's labels in residence: Christopher Bissonette (nice stuff, will definitely listen again)
Foci's Left - Linear Erosion (need to merge the new section and master this)
Matrixxman - Amulet (very good house/techno hybrids, minimalism where it matters)
Lost Midas - Off The Course (2nd / 3rd time listening - this is really good)
Paloma Faith - A Perfect Contradiction (I know I know, but I bought it for my Mum and I quite like it)
5 more vinyl from my collection, from right to left where I started

In no particular order :P Smile

Food diary is looking okay:

Thu – 2 tins beans / indian, chinese and thai & dessert at the first floor + 2 glasses wine = 25 syns.

Fri = egg beans tomato bacon / lasagne & garlic bread with salad 12 syns 2 glasses wine = 20 syns.

Sat = egg & bacon sarnie = + 1 healthy extra milk 1 healthy extra chicken achar & keema rice = 12 syns 2 glasses wine, 1 white 1 red = 8 syns = 20 syns max for day.

- Cooked breakfast for Mum and Dad and me Sunday. The buffet treat on Thursday meant I've put on half a pound.

At 8pm it's a Deep Jungle Special by Law on Frontline Radio Grin

We're having a barbeque so might not be able to catch Frontline. Working on a 115 BPM tune with the "A Minor G String" pun designed to make me remember what keys I played.

today, I... - MetaLX - 22nd June 2014

That's a plucky little plan.

MetaLX Wrote:That's a plucky little plan.

Check your in-box Metal Spandex Gruber