David Toop - Ocean of Sound

Derek Bailey - Improvisation: Its Nature and Practice in Music

Simon Reynolds - Energy Flash

Eddie Prevost - No Sound is innocent

David Katz - People Funny Boy

David Katz - Solid Foundation : An oral history of reggae

Beth Lesser - King Jammy's

Martin James - State of Bass. Jungle: The Story So Far

Brian Belle-Fortune - All Crew Muss Big Up. Journeys Through Jungle Drum& Bass Culture

Michael Moynihan, Didrik Soderlind - Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
energy flash is worth reading. i don't agree with everything reynolds wrote but it's good history.
the best music book i've read is "Bass Culture" by Lloyd Bradley...
miles davis autobiography is funny as fck
ah, you've added all crew muss big up. well, it's good. there was a revised version announced a few weeks ago but was dropped from amazon's preorder list somehow. so i don't know what's up with it.
* Wrote:eddie prevost - no sound is innocent

if you're interested in improv then this is very interesting
the book is almost an improvisation in itself

Xyxthumbs

but don't buy his next one, minute particulars
it's very badly written

Thumbd
Kodwo Eshun - More brilliant than the sun

Paul D. Miller - Rhythm Science

Hmmm, i guess i'm more of a listener than a theoretic about music personally.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to read about someone's opinions and interpretations. Biographies can also be very good, but sometimes they bore the hell out of me. It depends on the personality behind it.

I also read a very interesting book about industrial music recently which i borrowed off a friend...forgot the title though.
Dan Sicko - Techno Rebels

not read it myself yet...

I thought Goldie's 9 lives was good although a lot of people diss it, I think it's great.

32(.
Lets make d+b special for 2009!
RhythmicNature Wrote:Dan Sicko - Techno Rebels

not read it myself yet...

true to techno, that book is full of trainspotter facts and i wasn't the slightest bit interested in any of them.
dave Wrote:full of trainspotter facts

Homerdrool
Hahaha

9 lives was ok - I enjoyed hearing about the early reinforced days and how terminator was made and stuff but that's about it.

Energy Flash is good.
Logos Wrote:Hahaha

9 lives was ok - I enjoyed hearing about the early reinforced days and how terminator was made and stuff but that's about it.

Is it still available ? Fun thing is, that i wanted to ask someone here at SC if it is any good...why people are dissin' it ?

I think it isn't written by Clifford himself !? Icon_question
Its a bit hagiographical. Think it was probably written with someone else, it was interesting reading about his early life but won't win any prizes for depth or insight.
Thanks mate!! Will look out.
Statto Wrote:
dave Wrote:full of trainspotter facts

Homerdrool
hahahaa... no, these ones were DULL!!!

being into techno more than any other genre i thought this book would grab me the most.. but nah.

another goodie is Last Night a DJ Saved My Life by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton, that goes way back... they've got a good website too www.djhistory.com although that would be a lame chritmas present
yah guy, looks like some interesting reading! i didn't know Derek Bailey wrote a book, note to self! the Lords of Chaos book is pretty entertaining, although i've heard a few times that some facts were a bit distorted... still some interesting shit in there though! heard mad sketchy things about that dude Michael Moynihan too, yikes.

jazz bios at all? shit mang, the Bill Evans biography "how my heart sings" was damn good, i thought. been "caning" it yearly at this point (which is often for me!). just reading about the way he went about things makes you wanna shut out the rest of the world and live for music. "beneath the underdog" by Mingus is pretty fucked, the writing makes it pretty peculiar and he's insane. def get that Miles bio too, if possible - what an insane dickface who happened to have affected music like that.

latest music book i picked up was "Style & Idea" by Arnold Schoenberg. big compilation of random essays ranging from crowd response to instrumentation to one-pagers on ornamentation in music etc.... cool. he's pretty forceful with his analyses & deals quite the volley of hi-res opinions knowhatimean? interesting reading!

shit yo, this is a good thread, keep up the lists!
Logos Wrote:Its a bit hagiographical. Think it was probably written with someone else, it was interesting reading about his early life but won't win any prizes for depth or insight.

I just finished it last night...it was co wrote with a dude called Paul Gorman! I have to say i liked it, especially the parts when you have someone like Pete Tong or Noel Gallagher having an opinion on something and Goldie having the complete opposite opinion!! made me chuckle!! it was also quite sad in parts.
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
dharma one Wrote:miles davis autobiography is funny as fck

which one ? there are at least 4 on amazon.

yardie Wrote:kodwo eshun - more brilliant than the sun

got that already. good stuff ! Xyxthumbs

yardie Wrote:biographies can also be very good, but sometimes they bore the hell out of me. it depends on the personality behind it.

i can recommend "space is the place : the life and times of sun ra" by
john f. szwed. definitely not about a boring personality. Hahaha

yardie Wrote:i also read a very interesting book about industrial music recently which i borrowed off a friend...forgot the title though.

i'm interested in this one...whatever it may be. anyone know ?

rhythmicnature Wrote:dan sicko - techno rebels

some of the reviews on amazon are priceless. Hahaha
i have to check that one out.

sileni Wrote:the lords of chaos book is pretty entertaining, although i've heard a few times that some facts were a bit distorted... still some interesting shit in there though! heard mad sketchy things about that dude michael moynihan too, yikes.

after some googling i think i'd rather not give that guy any of my money.Neutral

sileni Wrote:jazz bios at all? shit mang, the bill evans biography "how my heart sings" was damn good, i thought. been "caning" it yearly at this point (which is often for me!). just reading about the way he went about things makes you wanna shut out the rest of the world and live for music. "beneath the underdog" by mingus is pretty fucked, the writing makes it pretty peculiar and he's insane.

thanks, will check these out.

sileni Wrote:def get that miles bio too, if possible - what an insane dickface who happened to have affected music like that.

again, which one ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  art books - Surrealism lament 12 5,204 18th September 2011, 19:08
Last Post: Annastay
  good books to read!!!! _cform 53 18,759 9th January 2011, 02:32
Last Post: Annastay
  Back order comic books? Annastay 1 1,865 5th November 2010, 13:46
Last Post: Roo Stercogburn
  15 Books Statto 30 7,607 29th September 2010, 13:29
Last Post: cube
  books about music socialengineer 53 9,697 14th June 2010, 17:47