Laptop peeps

32 Replies, 31260 Views

Okay, so, someone who works with my missus is selling their laptop and wants a suggestion of a price.

Quote:ACER TRAVELMATE 603LCi

Intel pentium centrino M 1.6GHz

Intel 855GME chipset

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.1b/g WLAN), Wi-Fi, WPA support

15" SXGA+TFT LCD

512MB DDR (upgradable up to 2GB)

40GB Ultra ATA/100 HDD

DVD/CD-RW Combo

Gigabit Ethernet

4 USB 2.0 ports

Blah blah blah

Suggestions on what I should offer? I was thinking £300/350...?

Bear in mind I don't need a super monster for music production - I have one of those at home. This would let me do some music if I needed to (1.6GHz Centrino is adequate), but it's more for gigs than anything. Can't keep scotching dgoHn's every time Hahaha Oops So it only really needs to play back a couple of audio tracks.

So, what's a fair price for this lappy? Worth it you think?

Smile
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Trav...sion-1.asp

brand new celeron 1.4 for £380.

so i'd say no more than 300 or so, and given that its been used £200/£250 would be fairer. Grin
bare
i wouldnt compare a centrino to a celeron-m Chin

but yes, 300squid is fair enough
God I love you batfink, and I'm going to have your babies. Teef

Anyone else got any suggestions?
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
I bought pretty much that exact laptop last year for £650 so yeah £300 or less sounds about right to me.

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Give you a fiver for yours.
Macc Wrote:Anyone else got any suggestions?

piss
[Image: pissright.gif] [Image: piss.gif]
titanium Wrote:i wouldnt compare a centrino to a celeron-m Chin

but yes, 300squid is fair enough

i would. :d

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2004/03/09/doe...age12.html

celeron = shit
mobile pentium 4 = shit

celeron-m and pentium-m are both very good. Wink
bare
a good left foot to the head should do the trick.....

plenty more, no less
http://www.cpuscorecard.com/all_cpus.htm

pentium-m 1.7 = shit
celeron-m 1.4 = approx. twice as shit

Get a mac powerbook, suit your name and got a better look :P
And cost me about 8 times more money.

BTW I don't think that performance chart is quite fair - comparing it to a desktop CPU is kind of silly IMO, no?
compared the centrino 1.6 to the 1.26 mobile celeron: what u mean desktop? Wink
In which case a pentium m is better, surely. Why is a pentium M shit? A year agoe they were perfectly good (best mobile chips around, weren't they?)
titanium Wrote:http://www.cpuscorecard.com/all_cpus.htm

pentium-m 1.7 = shit
celeron-m 1.4 = approx. twice as shit

Hahaha

that list is total bollocks. What benchmarks did they use?

and at the risk of repeating myself, in fact i AM repeating myself, the celerons on that list are Pentiumn 4 based i.e. crap

Also, bear in mind that Centrino is a marketing name for an Intel laptop with a wireless card and a pentium-m in it afaik. Pentium-M and Celeron-M are the names of the processors inside a laptop. The only real difference is that the p-m has 1mb of L2 cache rather than the 512 in the celeron. Grin
bare
seen enough benchmarks, its not 'that' bollocks, but i guess you got the knowledge.

anyway, my advice: sit on your money and wait untill the dualcores crystalize and drop prices (which is happening in rapid tempo)
If you need it desparatly... id offer £250 and no more.
...but if you can wait and have a bit more spare cash id wait till dualcores drop a bit more...

I got a Sony Vaio S4-XP about 6 months ago and i love it, cost me an arm and a leg but its fast as f*ck and proper gorgeous looking too (possibly even more so than mac books *ducks and hides*)
http://vaio.sony-europe.com/view/ShowPro...M+S+Series
anyway, its done me good so far and ive yet to max it out in cubase so it should last me a long time yet Grin
I love my Acer!
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
socialengineer Wrote:If you need it desparatly... id offer £250 and no more.
...but if you can wait and have a bit more spare cash id wait till dualcores drop a bit more...

I got a Sony Vaio S4-XP about 6 months ago and i love it, cost me an arm and a leg but its fast as f*ck and proper gorgeous looking too (possibly even more so than mac books *ducks and hides*)
http://vaio.sony-europe.com/view/ShowPro...M+S+Series
anyway, its done me good so far and ive yet to max it out in cubase so it should last me a long time yet Grin

Thanks for the advice Smile

It's not about the power or cash though - this would be nothing like my main music machine. I have a monster at home I just laid out for, for my actual music making (which like you say, will last me a long time yet). It's a matter of getting something that would be useful for gigs, wouldn't be expensive, and would be capable of jotting ideas down should the time/situation ever arise where I would be making music on the move (which probably wouldn't happen).

I spose another way of putting it is that I'd be as unlikely to max this out in Cubase as I would a dual-quad-bitchcore PC. I just need something portable to play two files out of separate outputs at once.

Smile

I'm going to offer £250, and go to £275 as an absolute max. If she can do better elsewhere, I'll just borrow dgoHn's Hahaha

Not got any poxy bookings anyway! *hint hint* Teef
Macc Wrote:I spose another way of putting it is that I'd be as unlikely to max this out in Cubase as I would a dual-quad-bitchcore PC. I just need something portable to play two files out of separate outputs at once.

Smile

I'm going to offer £250, and go to £275 as an absolute max. If she can do better elsewhere, I'll just borrow dgoHn's Hahaha

Not got any poxy bookings anyway! *hint hint* Teef

In that case, that lappy sounds fine!
id suggest a Echo Indigo DJ pcmcia soundcard too... they have good stable asio drivers and two stereo minijack outs! (i have an echo indigo io which has an in and an out) unless you got plans for a usb jobbie or somting
Smile
no, i was already getting the echo Xyxthumbs it's all i need - i need two outs (one for pa, one for my click) for my live shows, and that's it. they have very good sound quality for such a small thing too (dgohn's laptop has one).

just hope she takes £250 Twisted
well the pentium m 1.6 runs to the equivilent of a pentium 4 2.92ghz so the processor isnt bad the way u find out the equivilent is times the M processing speeds by 1.83 and that will give u the p4/celeron equivilent

id say offer them 250 sounds about right
thanks man Wave
All this talk of pricing PCs correctly has got me thinking. I was gonna buy this for £650 but not sure now.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Compu...oduct.aspx

Any suggestions?
www.astrophonica.co.uk           
Neptune Wrote:All this talk of pricing PCs correctly has got me thinking. I was gonna buy this for £650 but not sure now.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Compu...oduct.aspx

Any suggestions?

to be honest if u are going to spend that sort of money u would be better off getting 1 custom made from a company like novatech or spire

http://www.novatech.co.uk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  laptop dead! pc laptop inquires. Annastay 7 3,189 7th November 2011, 00:03
Last Post: Roo Stercogburn
  Hello peeps Catastrophe 10 2,668 16th May 2011, 08:52
Last Post: Ben Kei
  Ez peeps now that i have internet at home... thush-ara 5 581 9th February 2007, 17:42
Last Post: ALPHA OMEGA
  More peeps needed! Unsane 1 1,053 9th June 2006, 11:26
Last Post: subvert
  Any NOIR peeps in here? fanu 5 1,894 1st February 2006, 18:22
Last Post: subvert