Modern Life is Rubbish

73 Replies, 24512 Views

(not the album)

discuss.
Neutral
what's that supposed to mean? Hahaha

ok, here's a starter:

web2.0, facebook, iphone, twitter, aim, forums, mobile blogging, podcasting, google... what's your opinion? do you contribute? is it worth your time?
I can chat with friends on the internet Smile

I can buy spring reverbs from Dutch people Smile

I can fill dead time at work by learning about things I would probably never otherwise learn about Smile

So long as one doesn't let these things become the centre, and maintains one's interest and upkeep of the being, then these things can contribute meaningfully to one's life without dominating it.

In other words, they're alright but not ACTUALLY properly important Grin

Modern life in 200 years will probably be a lot more rubbish.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
cycom Wrote:web2.0

FTW!

some great stuff is coming out of the web at the mo, im loving webservices, javascript and ajax!
...of course, all this comes at a price... which is a ton of sites that suck. a few are good.. but most suck.
modern life is the same as pre-modern life & the same as future life.

It is what you make it.

As long as you value real,tangible elements instead of materialistic,shallow,unfulfilling objects you'll be a happy man/woman.

Me,I'm a grumpy guy,I wake up grumpy,wank grumpily and go to bed grumpy. I talk to no-one & am a notorious Hermit (Statto has nothing on me)

This is what makes me happy.

Smile

no wait,

Icon_evil

[that's better]
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
some wise words here. Personally, I'm enjoying the web quite much at the moment. And therefore modern life.

But I feel an addiction coming:

- too much checking email (thunderbird is running all day)
- too much twittering (almost running half of the time)
- too much time spent on facebook, xing, etc. (currently at least 2-3 updates a week)
- the strong personal wish to create a user-generated-content-site with a lot of ajax-functionality Lol
- the want to own an iphone and a macbook pro (and I NEVER cared for apple)

Plus witnessing my kids videochatting with my parents. It's weird to see how technical their life's going to be. When I was their age, there were 3 programmes on tv and there were no mobiles. (not to speak of the internets, instant messengers, etc.)

ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:Me,I'm a grumpy guy,I wake up grumpy,wank grumpily and go to bed grumpy. I talk to no-one & am a notorious Hermit (Statto has nothing on me)

This is what makes me happy.

Smile

no wait,

Icon_evil

[that's better]

Hahaha Hahaha Hahaha
i know, gimme cave life and cave wimmens with bones in their hairties, and animal skin bikinis.. uuunnnggghhh!
as long as i don't have to write blogs, ever setup a facebook account (myspace is far too time consuming and shit as it is - "social networking" sites... die), find out what the hell twitter is, do mobile blogging (hmmm nice from a numeric keypad Teef ) etc i'll be happy.

forums and internet in general, see what macc said. invaluable source of knowledge, be it biased or not. if i want to know something, just type it into google and 15 mins later i'll be a lot wiser on the subject. noice Xyxthumbs
its great cos weve got things like antibiotics and insulin

but its not so great because weve got things like celebrity, macdonalds and ug boots
reality shows are one of the few things I dislike about modern life.

more good documentaries please.

Chuck D
too many dickheads about. i got my head kicked in for my phone on saturday
^^what the fuck?

sorry to hear that man.

Icon_sad

Chuck D
cube Wrote:too many dickheads about. i got my head kicked in for my phone on saturday

Icon_eek

no way man, hope yer not too hurt

theres something else i dislike about modern life

people just want to take or be given stuff wont work for it anymore even crims used to graft now theyre just all phone and car jackers
Life is what you think....
cube Wrote:too many dickheads about. i got my head kicked in for my phone on saturday

say what? Eek Icon_sad
damn, cube. sorry to hear that. hope it's nothing serious? Neutral Neutral Neutral

--

Of course I wouldn't want to live without the internet, I Lovesmilie it. I live from it and that's why I sort of try to stay up to date. I kinda have to know about all this Web2.0 services and so I get to use some of them.

I just feel that my life has become much more complicated since I decided to create many information channels through various networks. It's a sort of love-hate relationship.

netvibes.com for example. My account is so packed with information that I won't ever be able to read through all of it. But probably I'm just badly organized or summink.

--

@Wilshy: Twitter is "microblogging". You type 140 chars into some mobile unit or your computer and all your "followers" receive the message. All these twits kinda create some nice sort of background-noise and a constant stream of information which ranges from utter crap to totally useless shite Hahaha (once in a while somebody says something interesting or posts a nice link)

Icon_eek Hugs
ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:reality shows are one of the few things I dislike about modern life.

personalised tv will be there for your rescue.

I can picture you spending your evenings watching "documentaries" about large ladies Smile

man thats shit.

was it an iphone?
bare
batfink Wrote:

man thats shit.

was it an iphone?

nah just some old crappy sony ericsson, but it came close to a stabbing so i just gave it over. could have been a lot worse, just got a big fat achey jaw.
cube Wrote:
batfink Wrote:

man thats shit.

was it an iphone?

nah just some old crappy sony ericsson, but it came close to a stabbing so i just gave it over. could have been a lot worse, just got a big fat achey jaw.

Icon_sad Icon_sad Icon_sad
cycom Wrote:
alpha omega Wrote:reality shows are one of the few things i dislike about modern life.

personalised tv will be there for your rescue.

i can picture you spending your evenings watching "documentaries" about large ladies Smile

:d :d :d bbw's for the win Teef

its all a way in which you percieve things

tv for example you could just choose to ignore all the bullshit reality stuff (tho its hard i admit every ad break being full of it) and just watch informative stuff like docs

theres still some great stuff on tv so its a shame to ignore it tottally, but then thats where alluc comes in handy Icon_yippee

http://www11.alluc.org/alluc/documentaries.html

been watching various bbc horizon ones lately, watched one last night about the life of motorways in britain sounds yawn inducing but was actually pretty good
cube Wrote:nah just some old crappy sony ericsson, but it came close to a stabbing so i just gave it over. could have been a lot worse, just got a big fat achey jaw.

Hugs

fuck man sounds rough

whered it all happen?
cube Wrote:
batfink Wrote:

man thats shit.

was it an iphone?

says it all about modernity currently, fuckin sucks. sorry to hear that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modern Love Sir Loris of Crowthorne 25 5,130 9th November 2007, 17:06
Last Post: IChiOne
  is my name rubbish? djfada 36 2,175 22nd March 2007, 21:33
Last Post: draadje
  Burglars are fucking rubbish UFO_over_easy 18 1,866 2nd January 2007, 22:21
Last Post: Benway
  Check my rubbish High C Macc 12 1,080 25th November 2006, 13:54
Last Post: Neptune
  modern toss beckett 10 823 13th July 2006, 03:02
Last Post: dionysus