Headphone crew

217 Replies, 110840 Views

yeah checked that out, thanks noisemonkey, read that page for awhile.. Just bought the 600s tho, cheaper now and really want for producing.
Is this the kind of cable I want? Just remember you guys saying to get a diff cable..
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Premium...im_sbs_e_3
I have the 650's Wink
markgabba Wrote:I have the 650's Wink

ohhh so you do... Wink
well I dont have any yet but will do in about a week....Cool
less than year gone thru 2 pairs of these senn's (right ear goes out)

any recco's for something lightweight and good sound like those (no overear spaceboots) but with better construction?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

get some of those dr dre beats ones all the kids on the bus will think you're proper boh
i already got all the street cred i need rocking my tighty whiteys outside of my jeans
They might be totally not what you're after on the face of it Dan, but these Sony XBA-1 in-ear headphones have been amazing me with their sound quality.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Premium-Qua...ascsubtag=

Product description:

"Sony has brought together a wide range of technologies to create the Balanced Armature Headphone series, featuring the world’s only Balanced Armature (BA) drivers optimized for music enjoyment. Because these driver units can be freely tuned, they are capable of a wider range of sound, and by combining full-range, woofer, super woofer and tweeter units, they can be layered together for a highly nuanced sound experience. Thanks to the driver’s micro sized construction and high sensitivity, these headphones are able to maximize style comfort, sound insulation, sound leakage prevention and even waterproofing, all while providing great sound quality. Sony BA headphones deliver a new high-quality music listening experience."

Otherwise I have my Marley's that cost £50. Can't stand Skull Candy fashion 'phones.
no one seems to do a decent earphone that just sits in your ear anymore, I don't like the whole half way up your ear canal thing Icon_sad saying that I did end up buying a pair of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4...klipsch+s4

can put these on and I don't have to listen to any co-workers Willynilly
fiasko Wrote:no one seems to do a decent earphone that just sits in your ear anymore

thats the problem.

Banghead
cordani Wrote:
fiasko Wrote:no one seems to do a decent earphone that just sits in your ear anymore

thats the problem.

Banghead

yeah I am still rocking an old pair of sonys for the gym, bought the "replacement" model and they feel crap and don't even sit properly in my ear Icon_sad
These are my go to travel headphones. Super comfy, sounds ok, last about a year of constant use / rolling around in my bag.

http://www.jvc.ca/www/Consumer/model.aspx?m=HA-S160-B

[Image: HA-S160-B.jpg]

and they don't break the bank, which is key because no matter how good a set of headphones are, I WILL DESTROY THEM.

earbuds make you deaf, and always end up in the wash Hahaha
cordani Wrote:

thats the problem.

Banghead

Agreed. I've got an inner ear condition (mighty rare!) in my left ear and when the seal happens with in ear buds, I feel ill. Fine when sealed but sealing and unsealing (if that's even what you do with ear buds) can cause me issues.
^ ouch thats awful

i just dont like having the buds in my ear anymore, bothers me / never stays in properly / not easy to just move headphone a bit to hear something outside music / etc

thx for sugg Ian but it's stil kinda foamy and big which unfortunately gets sweaty in ear during the summer esp

im having a hard time believing those senn's are the only decent audio headphones with such an earpiece...

more Banghead
After much testing of many models, I've bought a new pair of 'phones. Here's the list I trialled for you to peruse with my evaluation - all of which have been burnt in unless stated. Unlike the above ranting and raving from Macc, I heard no difference!!

Senn HD650's - Nice. The deathgrip of the headband too uncomfortable and the sound didn't quite do it for me. But great none the less. LOADS of hours on these as they're borrowed from someone. I wouldn't spend £320 on them. There's better for less IMHO.
Focal Spirit One - Initially quite harsh if compared to the Senns and more laid back sounding 'phones but actually really precise, very forward and bar on vocals pretty neutral to my ears. Vocal frequencies felt like they had a little hump in them. Not massively comfortable but ok.
Philips Fidelio L1 - Beautiful to look at. Beautiful to wear, comfort & fit on a difference level. Sound, oh... boring and muddy across the frequency range. Such a shame as I held high hopes for these.
Grado SR60 (originals, not i model) - Again borrowed. Fun sounding, very forward again and lively. Lacking overall clarity and not warm enough for me.
Lindy Premium Headphones / Brainwavz HM5 / Studiospares M1000 - All the same. Tried the Lindy. Great Sennheiser sound, slightly nasally on the bass but for the money of around £60 these are hard to beat. Headband way too tight though, THE letdown for me. Plus a slight rattle in the right driver but that wasn't a fault of them just a faulty pair. If you're willing to stick with the headband and get it to loosen and you're on a budget these are hard to beat. Closed back as well.

I've settled on Beyer Dynamic DT990s. Ok 250ohm so a little hard to drive but never that quiet. Bar a little too much sparkle in the top frequencies but never ever harsh these are beautiful sounding and to me punch well above their £125. Studio legends apparently and I have to debate that as they have such a laid back yet still energetic sound that seems to flatter most genres I can't believe they're that neutral. But I'm willing to learn them. Comfortable as well. I'm well happy at this early stage.
Any thoughts on Sennheiser HD 380's?

Thinking of nabbing some with xmas money/amazon GC... like the idea of tossing them in my backpack with my laptop, push and AK1 for a nice compact, portable setup...

Not willing to risk my 880's out of the studio and my other cans aren't worth relying on for any sort of production work.

Cheers!
I have those JVC Flats! Quite random honestly, but they've lasted and have been what I mostly use for composition since they're light, comfortable and quiet to others in the room (considerate!). Then, for mixing I go to my Sennheiser 590's.
[amoff]http://soundcloud.com/brijawi[/amoff]
Allen & Heath Xone XD-53, that is all
Loving the 380s. Fold up nicely, feel decently made, isolate very well and have a pleasing signature - kind of a flat response with a minor scoop in the upper mids, but clear treble and tight bass.
The real star is the E6 amp though, can't believe how much life it kicks into a simple onboard output. Definitely going to keep it handy from now on.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Audio Interfaces / Headphone Amps Code 7 6,549 9th January 2013, 03:06
Last Post: Code
  headphone amps impact_ 16 7,593 20th February 2011, 00:16
Last Post: Ashtonron
  what's the website that generates headphone comparission charts? InfiniteSloth 2 3,207 29th September 2010, 20:09
Last Post: InfiniteSloth
  valve headphone amp dsp 6 5,052 27th December 2009, 13:49
Last Post: denaris
  Headphone Monitoring Abend 16 8,118 2nd April 2007, 01:59
Last Post: Abend