your favourite tech-step tunes

314 Replies, 164076 Views

people who think tech step started with virus/ram/bad company etc are annoying Mad
Bonz Wrote:Oh shit, is this DOA?? My bad, sorry to bother you steve Lol

sorry bonz, having a brainfart - i actually erased a giant and well thought out but horribly patronising post that on second thoughts i didn't quite agree with

normal service will be restored in about 5 minutes
...it's like a bloody LIBRARY out there!!! http://twitter.com/executivesteve
Bonz Wrote:I fully realize that steve, my two 'new' examples above are on a strictly stepping vibe though, and I wanted to open the discussion up to more than just steppers. Sorry if it didn't come across as intended.

When does a tune stop bearing a 'resemblance' to a genre and start being a part of it? If either of those tunes had used a guitar pedal in the making of their basslines, could I THEN start calling it tech-step? I mean, we've already got the recession on the way Grin

Also why would tech-step be a meaningless word exactly? Would it not be a useful word to describe the differences between a tune like shadowboxing and some all-out ragga-core track from 94-95? I'm not to well up on me ragga-jungle Baffled Grin

i suppose techstep was very much a product of it's time; in the same way that a lot of the stuff around at the moment is definitely a product of it's time

most sub-genre names in dnb were imposed pretty arbitrarily in any case, whether it's a dj coining a name for his own style - like fabio with liquid - or a journalist coining a word to describe (in a vague and unhelpful manner, oftentimes) an emergent sound (see simon reynolds with his "neurofunk" that according to "energy flash" describes tunes like source direct "the crane" and doc scott "shadowboxing"

the danger with hairsplitting about genre names is that you can either needlessly geek about naming things that don't have all that much in common (see "hardstep" - pretty much the worst offender) because having things to apply the name to is as important as having things; but i think this is a flaw in any descriptive taxonimical process when applied to scene based musics that progress and mutate incrimentally on the basis of shared and distributed input and participation

now the internet is here we have subgenres that are created by wikipedians of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurestep

and i will never forget meeting a german guy in sardinia last year; talk turned to dnb and he mentioned he produced.. produced what, i asked him - "ze clownstep" he replied with a straight face.

i nearly spilled my mojito.
tyranny Wrote:and i will never forget meeting a german guy in sardinia last year; talk turned to dnb and he mentioned he produced.. produced what, i asked him - "ze clownstep" he replied with a straight face.

that's awesome-and now i will never forget either Hahaha

i think the no u turn sound covers it for me.

amtrak-nico & trace
technology-ed rush & nico
locust-nico, fierce & ed rush
dom & roland-dynamics
dom & matrix-the vandal
fortran-the search part 2
SKRUB AUDIO UPDATED 5/2009 SMP 48-WHAT MUSIC?-Late Spring '09 Mix
nu black stuff is awesome

hidden face - 20/20 Slayer
ive got a blank Nu Black 12 with A1 - 170 BPM and AA1 - 168 BPM etched on it, with 'NNU 2007' and 'A Porky Prime Cut' also etched, any idea what it is ? Its not on Rolldabeats.
Paradigm X Wrote:ive got a blank Nu Black 12 with A1 - 170 BPM and AA1 - 168 BPM etched on it, with 'NNU 2007' and 'A Porky Prime Cut' also etched, any idea what it is ? Its not on Rolldabeats.

I'd guess this:
http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/nu_black/nnu2007

Smile
less waffle more tune naming fuckbakes
just saw this on youtube Smile

no u turn slideshow
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xCHBvGZuuGc
tyranny Wrote:i think it was a bit of a transitional tune in that it has none of the rawness of the early no-u-turn and emotif classics but it still has pretty much the same aesthetic - although by this stage the radical grunginess and militancy of techstep was starting to be lost and it had lost it's "shock of novelty" value.

Xyxthumbs

Quote:certainly not overrated though, it's definitely an all time classic in my book

nahrr is alrrrright i spose :d i just wanted to sling some dogcrap in through the door of the church of silver blade that you and bonz have been building recently
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
Joga Wrote:Silver Blade is one of the greatest tunes ever if not the greatest, overrated?!

Can't touch Angels Fell Teef
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
Dom & Roland - "Thunder"
Facs - "Journey Into Sound" (does this count as techstep, or is that stepy jump up or what?)
Panacea - something off "Low Profile Darkness", too tough to choose
Naphta Wrote:I just wanted to sling some dogcrap in through the door of the Church of Silver Blade that you and Bonz have been building recently

"church of silver blade"

Lol

he bought it in a second hand shop and started a thread about it and then i replied i liked it too; if that's all it takes to build a church then jesus would have been eating skittles on his 34th birthday
a lots of the earlier stuff been mentioned so heres some from a bit later...

biostacis - menace
jonny l - moving thru air (optical remix), intasound, viper, see red, 20 degrees
grooverider - rainbows of colour (optical remix)
optical & ryme tyme - twisted
ed rush & optical - watermelon, sick note, gas mask, bacteria
moving fusion - turbulence
dilli - so damn tuff, vicious, hard noize, fluid, accurist, tronik funk, thugs, weapons of choice, the fuze
blue - cosmos729, animal
interzone - interzone
dj red - strangled duck (moving fusion rmx)
decoder & substance - heist (or curvature) cant remember which was which..
kosheen - yes men (decoder remix)
Naphta Wrote:
Joga Wrote:Silver Blade is one of the greatest tunes ever if not the greatest, overrated?!

Can't touch Angels Fell Teef

word. best.

that track makes me despair about the current state of d&b like no other.
play next to any recent dilli and you want to cry.
devnull Wrote:Panacea - something off "Low Profile Darkness", too tough to choose

STORMBRINGER

proper teutonic barbed wire fisting mittens business

Grin
while we're on the subject of dark tunes that aren't techstep (like so many listed in this thread Lol ), i picked up alec empire's digital hardcore compilation 'squeeze the trigger' again recently - after losing my original years ago... some highly pungent babylonian junglistic filth on there, i recommend it Xyxthumbs
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
Law Wrote:Trace - Sonar
did you know dom & roland did a lot of the produciton on that track
such a shame as he sees no credit
Trace did fuck all in general.
tyranny Wrote:
devnull Wrote:Panacea - something off "Low Profile Darkness", too tough to choose

STORMBRINGER

proper teutonic barbed wire fisting mittens business

Grin
for sure, although his R.E.S.P.E.C.T. remix wins for me. its easily the most over the top badass track i own... stupid bass... fanfares. glass smashing breaks. madness.
stereolab - french disko - duophonic

subtle melodies nested with dark tones...
Primorcon Wrote:
Law Wrote:Trace - Sonar
did you know dom & roland did a lot of the produciton on that track
such a shame as he sees no credit

he's given credit on the label
same as with Pete Parsons on DSci4-1
I'd say Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce - Alien Girl. Deep, steppy and pretty evil & nasty all the way.
for me -

trace & nico - damn son

ed rush - whats up / august

future forces - intensify

edit - how could i forget!!!! - ed rush - guncheck Falcon
rickyforce Wrote:edit - how could i forget!!!! - ed rush - guncheck Falcon

that's a sick tune! though i wouldn't say it's techstep; it has the 'right' atmosphere/vibe going on but if i'd hear guncheck played in a techstep mix after some of the tunes mentioned in this thread i would be a bit surprised...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our Top 20 Favourite Ram Tunes. EVER. rachelknowledge 53 23,457 1st January 2017, 15:30
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  favourite TV theme tunes Statto 79 27,588 4th February 2016, 21:12
Last Post: firefinga
  Tech step, "Red Clay", jazz & bass, totally unknown??! Ornette 12 9,465 23rd July 2014, 20:15
Last Post: MetaLX
  favourite tunes from this year? rjv 8 6,373 22nd December 2009, 06:01
Last Post: Primorcon
  This just became one of my favourite tunes ever Utopian 20 14,477 29th June 2009, 18:42
Last Post: CJ Weaver