For The Ambient Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001

945 Replies, 876411 Views

rocks sliding over a sunny skyline
split screen view
like a thunderbolt from the ultra wormhole

There are many travels that feel like explicit tests, ones where we uncover the true nature of ourselves, what it all means,
and where our fate leads us. In music, it's better to say "with music" to a lonesome traveller. Because like a psychological
strategy board, or a penny slinger at a concert, it says much more than just what dialectics can. On this transmission from
Psychological Strategy Board group on the (sehr) experimental international label Front & Follow, there is a very Germanic,
Berlin school of electronic Musik referencing that contrasts not so heavily with the earlier landmark "14 Versions Of The Same
EP", with reincarnations from Isnaj Dui and Leyland Kirby amongst the alumni that specific time, here is Penny Slinger's turn.

I would like to think of travelling as a strategy board. But then, is it? Simply. God is a question, the God particle, etc, in
scientific theory, is questioning of your spiritual aims, even if you're primarily an atheist like me. I haven't come here to
spew about religion. The point in process is that I make the contradistinction for you between individual psychology
(part of the belief system of the individual) and group belief (a diluted but paradoxically much more powerful beast) that can
cause either uplifting counsel, or serious damage.

In my last 15 or so reviews for Fluid I've made references to a triad construct of non-belief, neutrality and belief, much like
any other reviewer here does in one way or another. I am speaking for how psychology informs the decisions the music "seems" to
take on the listener, not the overall root structure of theology or denomination. I think very little about things like that. I
leave separatism to the theorists. Anyway, this release is uplifting, most definitely. Like a thunderbolt from the ultra wormhole,
splitting the listener's preconceived notions of right and wrong down the middle with a split screen virtual view, the field
recordings here sound like rocks sliding over a sunny skyline: warm and momentous, filled with gravity and temporal fascination.

Meanwhile, bleeps and bloops take on a reductive and partisan quality, an algorithm loosened the shackles upon and left to drift
into a vaporous chasm. On "Expression In Ruins" it's all very daunting and omnipresent indeed, whereas "Rats In The Walls Of Our
Mind" touches on that metaphorical patchwork laid by PSB to form meanings out of molehills. Horns at the tail end draw comparisons
to Rob Thorne's last collaboration album (reviewed on this site). That the music sounds utterly bereft of buoyancy, is its very
terminative quality - the psychological off switch, pass go, collect $200 and stop, as Monopoly might reinvent.

Much of the record has a interlude feel, like the next 1 minute 15 second aviary of birdsong, and referenced by "Out Of Formation
(Out Of Duration)". Musically, this stuff sounds like it was produced on a Moog. Either that or a high end keyboard or software.
I am highly impressed with it, I love it, I think it's a classic. And like reggae, there is a dubbed
quality to the tapes that warrants repeated listening. I find the textures highly intriguing; how their shapes and contours are
formed out of loquacious sound design that seems more by chance than design, but totally random (genius) and hence genuine. It's
like a collection of words that needs to be read as a whole to make sense of it, instead of skimming for specifics.

After all: whoever found a penny slinger to a beggar, or a psychological strategy board in a charity shop?
I don't think so.
This album comes very highly recommended!

^ "Penny Slinger" by Psychological Strategy Board is an album I've had properly copied to me for a couple of months for review purposes. It took the longest turnaround of all 214 articles I've completed for Fluid Radio in 7.5 years worth of time writing for them. Best to be accurate.
It's made up of lots of lo-fi samples from various sources, some seemingly my Dubtron2 experiments, although I wouldn't slander. This is great stuff and the developers deserve all the praise (Psychological Strategy Board band). Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: For The Ambient Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001 - by Muttley - 5th April 2018, 11:42

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For The Closcrete Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001 Muttley 43 53,785 1st September 2021, 13:21
Last Post: Muttley
  For The Electronica Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001 Muttley 81 94,462 19th September 2020, 10:30
  Soundscape lovers - AGN / Hibernate collaboration CD Muttley 11 19,647 7th June 2019, 12:09
  Toronto Rave Mixtape Archive firefinga 2 6,495 12th September 2017, 11:35
Last Post: EdwardSullivan63
  For Lovers of AMEN! NoodeL 9 13,487 17th January 2017, 18:22
Last Post: MetaLX