Source Direct Apache kick

42 Replies, 10835 Views

how the fuck?!?

http://rah.gq.nu/Fanu/SDAPACHE.mp3

Eek
Mmmmmmm............

Fat, clear, crisp and nice.

I think it is pitched up a bit, as in the whole break, there innit, that helps.

I'll have a look at my apache at home when I get the chance. Sounds like some quality eq+comp work to me- no magic or anything.....
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
ive been working on apache for the past couple of days.......
and even if i try, i cant get close to how that kick sounds.

i can make it super fat for sure, but not like that.
that's like some smack in your face and it sticks so perfectly out of the mixdown.
fanu Wrote:ive been working on apache for the past couple of days.......
and even if i try, i cant get close to how that kick sounds.

i can make it super fat for sure, but not like that.
that's like some smack in your face and it sticks so perfectly out of the mixdown.

I can't listen to this at work, but it would be interesting to know what kit (samplers and desk + outboard effects) SD used.

Also as you know SD were often super sparse in their arrangements, so maybe that helped the indivdual elements stand out much more than they would otherwise.
i'd say that a nice long attack on any compression is a very important part of getting a sound to sit like that.

it is also possible they layered another kick under there Icon123 Chin
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
sounds like a compressor kicking in after about 10-20ms attack

im not at the studio now so i dont have apache handy but it might be overlayed with another kick as well more more definition
Dharma one and Macc in telepathy shocker Hahaha
compression + analog punch via an emu, im sure u have the tools for it fanu
aha!

somebody says on doa:

"i've got that particular version of the apache break if you want it?
it's from an old 'polestar magnetix' sample cd from back in 1993/4 - it's either x-static goldmine or xl-1 - can't remember which."

right.......
cuz u know, photek's apache on ufo sounds exactly the same

Cool
i think i have both the X-static goldmine, XL-1 ones will check when i get home, i have the original but thats def not the one, the sample cd ones probley have a drum machine kick layered behind em thats what they usually do on the xl ones
Hahaha sometimes I think we overestimate the engineering genius of our (well my anyway) dnb heroes. SD nicked bloody anything from anywwhere. Stonekiller atmospherics being the best example.

I heard that Dom has never sampled the original amen, he just got it off an old hardcore tune. Icon_eek
Macc Wrote:Dharma one and Macc in telepathy shocker Hahaha

hehe yeah same wavelength there bro

compressor is your friend, for punchy breaks! "over compressing" or brickwall limiting everything isnt the only thing you can do with it
Logos Wrote:: SD nicked bloody anything from anywwhere. Stonekiller atmospherics being the best example.

where are they from then?
markgabba Wrote:where are they from then?

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient 2

I thought SD were bloody atmospherics overlords when I first heard that (which they are, but anyway) but it turns out they lifted it en masse. Hahaha
Logos Wrote:Hahaha sometimes I think we overestimate the engineering genius of our (well my anyway) dnb heroes. SD nicked bloody anything from anywwhere. Stonekiller atmospherics being the best example.

I heard that Dom has never sampled the original amen, he just got it off an old hardcore tune. Icon_eek

yeah!

theres a thread in The Grid on the apache.......
someone posted the version of apache he thinks SD used......and when u pitch it up, yes, u realize, that's it! Icon_eek / Neutral

it's a bit of a downer to discover things like that......like, the shining genius you think they possessed loses some of its shine, so to say.

u should check the amens on plastic jam LP.....pretty tasty processing on it.
some of em are brilliant engineers, like dilly or photek..or digital

but i have to say listening to the new source direct 12" it just sounds weak...
fanu Wrote:it's a bit of a downer to discover things like that......like, the shining genius you think they possessed loses some of its shine, so to say.

yeah, but on the other hand it shows they were good at picking the right elements for a tune. also they had just come out of the hardcore years so were much less picky about nicking chunks of music than we are i think - sometimes i think we get hung up on re-inventing the wheel engineering-wise. maybe anyway Neutral

fanu Wrote:u should check the amens on plastic jam lp.....pretty tasty processing on it.

Chin
dharma one Wrote:but i have to say listening to the new source direct 12" it just sounds weak...

Icon_eek ???
dharma one Wrote:but i have to say listening to the new source direct 12" it just sounds weak...

Hahaha
yeah i agree but who else would have put those sounds together the way they did... it's an art in it's self really isn't it Grin
sorry not new as in just out, a new 12" my friend just bought 2nd hand

but yeah its not all about engineering like markgabba said!
markgabba Wrote:yeah i agree but who else would have put those sounds together the way they did... it's an art in it's self really isn't it Grin

No absolutely! Source Direct = Lovesmilie Homerdrool
yeah,,,,,,,,not about engineering really.

a good tune will be a good tune without super-sharp engineering, while a poor tune with crystal clear engineering.......Neutral
fanu Wrote:yeah,,,,,,,,not about engineering really.

a good tune will be a good tune without super-sharp engineering, while a poor tune with crystal clear engineering.......Neutral

I refer the honourabl gentleman to any of Photek's more recent output. :yawn
Macc Wrote:
fanu Wrote:yeah,,,,,,,,not about engineering really.

I refer the honourabl gentleman to any of Photek's more recent output. :yawn
:mutley:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RetroCade synth - kick starter project denaris 2 2,463 18th June 2012, 16:37
Last Post: Paradigm X
  Basical channel kick drums brandz 8 4,230 10th January 2011, 18:38
Last Post: rondema
  tips on processing the apache? Cloak and Dagger 44 15,824 13th February 2008, 19:03
Last Post: Xaf
  Apache fill dionysus 10 2,584 17th May 2006, 12:10
Last Post: JayDoubleU
  Kick Drums: A very informative video. bhima 1 1,203 10th October 2005, 20:53
Last Post: BigEye