EQing breaks for a flat frequency response? why???

49 Replies, 10554 Views

Macc Wrote:Idiot-proof guide to subtractive eq (not you, batfink! Oops Hahaha );

hehehe. cheers anyway old chap! Grin
bare
dharma one Wrote:
macc Wrote:closing your eyes (when drumming, fighting, eq'ing......) Lovesmilie

forreall.. if you do martial arts try sticking hands with your eyes closed...its hard but great practice

dharmaone, if i ain't said this before, you get a lot of respect round these parts (like you care :d ). you certainly know your shit Yes

now you come on mentioning the sticky hands/chi sao - that's exactly what i do, wing chun. blindfold fighting Falcon

i think i love you [Image: badlove.gif]
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
dharma u still goin to daves ? need to sort this out and u macc, Dunno if this month is still possible I may able to do it, I will call him and see when he is free,
Can't do the weekend of the 29th or thereabouts, but other than that I am in Smile

Be nice to meet dharmaone and talk fucking boring shit all day Teef
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
heheh cool macc. ive never seen wing chun in action but ive heard its really good for that. my experience is aikido and chen style taijiquan, they both have contact holding excercises but not really blindfold

yeah dsp deffo...i talked to dave yesterday, theyre building some more studio/office space, whole floor.. i need to spend 2 weeks in high wycombe in february, maybe after that i can move to mcr. would be cool to hook up with you guys too
dharma one Wrote:heheh cool macc. ive never seen wing chun in action but ive heard its really good for that. my experience is aikido and chen style taijiquan, they both have contact holding excercises but not really blindfold

ah, chen style, they teach that at my school too Cool pushing hands and all that. aikido as well for the 'no force beats force' massive Falcon :d

nice one Smile
macc Wrote:in the words of ben kenobi; 'your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them' Falcon

Applause in the words of action force: the movie "the keenest eye is that which looks inward"

Lol Cool
Hahaha Hahaha Hahaha

I tried that, but ended up in hospital having them sort it out.
macc Wrote:closing your eyes (when drumming, fighting, eq'ing......) Lovesmilie

and playing the piano Yes
don't think......... feeeeeeeeel Falcon
dsp Wrote:I think you will find none of us stick to rules but its good to atleast have a way of talking about these things and sharing the way things are done, if someone asks for advise, there are no rules in music anyway, on composition or production, But what do we do, not talk about it at all??

i never said discussion was a bad thing! i'm only criticizing the perpetuation of these kinds of generalizations - there is no end all and be all eq technique. every sound is going to require its own special touch for whatever purposes the creator has in mind. i think people would be better off if they cultivated an instinct for that rather than spending time looking for a pre-determined solution to their problems, like having a flat eq response. don't get me wrong, there's a lot to be learned through discussion and reading, but that shouldn't be the only source of one's progress. there's a lot to be said for using your ears, and plain old practice.

dsp Wrote:EQ until it sounds good will not work for everyone,

why not? provided they have something decent to monitor on of course!

dsp Wrote:also everyone understands stuff in different ways its always good to put in the melting pot Grin

i do agree with this whole-heartedly though!
Grin
chinese medicine and subtractive eqing...

in chinese medicine (and other holistic and homeopathic school of thought) it is believed that emotions, feelings, thoughts, both negative and positive, are stored in the body....chi...energy...or whatever...flows through the bottom..some parts of the body are deficient in it...and some parts have "blockages"...through stretching, massage, diet, relaxation, acupressure etc..you can work towards a balance the distribution of chi throughout the body creating a better flow.

breakbeats...also suffer from clottages...old dusty 45s have lived full lives and the baggage they have is an obvious mark of those full lives...lives filled with longing...to be freed from the prisons they've been locked in...in basements...in bargain bins...in warehouses...

it is no shock that breakbeats would have build ups of chi in the wrong places..and be deficient in others...so as engineers we do have to massage the break a bit...provide some acupressure...allow it's chi to flow freely...how else can it properly interact with other ingredients of a track?

i challenge all of you to take care of your bodies...with the same gusto you would take care of a breakbeat.

a little subtractive EQing for the soul..for maximum loudness and dynamic range.

so it can sit perfectly with the bass ;oP

j.c.

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
Yeah Actually what helped me get away from using the actual frequency on EQs like say the Waves Q4 or the Ren EQs was actually really simple. I Just got my laptop and wanted to experiment and figure out the most efficient mobile way to write when I am not at home or whatever, anyway, I decided to try write a few tunes exclusively in Reason, nothing else.
Since you can only very vaguely approximate your frequencies and don't know what exact frequency you are boosting or cutting, you have no option but to use your ears. I recommend trying it, I started to find other frequency ranges I felt to be important, at least to my ears. Now when I use Cubase or anything else for that matter I get much clearer mixes because I'm not analizing my mixes, I'm just going with what sounds right from the get go. I used to go back and re-eq things, had tons of problems doing this, and this helped me break that habit. This was the single hardest habit for me to break. No worries now.
0=0 Wrote:chinese medicine and subtractive eqing...

in chinese medicine (and other holistic and homeopathic school of thought) it is believed that emotions, feelings, thoughts, both negative and positive, are stored in the body....chi...energy...or whatever...flows through the bottom..some parts of the body are deficient in it...and some parts have "blockages"...through stretching, massage, diet, relaxation, acupressure etc..you can work towards a balance the distribution of chi throughout the body creating a better flow.

breakbeats...also suffer from clottages...old dusty 45s have lived full lives and the baggage they have is an obvious mark of those full lives...lives filled with longing...to be freed from the prisons they've been locked in...in basements...in bargain bins...in warehouses...

it is no shock that breakbeats would have build ups of chi in the wrong places..and be deficient in others...so as engineers we do have to massage the break a bit...provide some acupressure...allow it's chi to flow freely...how else can it properly interact with other ingredients of a track?

i challenge all of you to take care of your bodies...with the same gusto you would take care of a breakbeat.

a little subtractive EQing for the soul..for maximum loudness and dynamic range.

so it can sit perfectly with the bass ;oP

j.c.

0=0

i am on homeopathics right now ! ...
macc Wrote:ah, chen style, they teach that at my school too Cool pushing hands and all that. aikido as well for the 'no force beats force' massive Falcon :d

nice one Smile

yea? im really interested about finding a chen style school in mcr, you have any ideas where to start looking?

aikido is more fun, not very useful for fighting.. my taijiquan teacher also teaches bajiquan, thats the most powerful thing ive seen. i dont think that has really spread outside china, except for brazil.
Not a clue mate, sorry........

I did find out that they teach Yang style as well at my school. How fascinating for you Lol

Google might help you though man Wink
yeah yang form is for some reason easier to find, but it lacks the "silk reeling" spiral force of chen style.. thanks anyway man! ive tried googling but i dont think half of that shit is on the internet
dharma one Wrote:"silk reeling" spiral force of chen style..

Falcon
Hallifax Wrote:I also like to mix loud alot once I have a fairly full mix going. if something is unpleasent, you really notice it loud. As well, when things sound right, they purr when mixing loud.

here's a thought...

when you listen to your mixes real loud, your ears develop sort of a defense mechanism, to attenuate the most offending frequencies (and whole bands around them). and what you get in return is something like natural compression. smtg like a master insert right on your ear drums Wink

now this causes you NOT to hear the quiter sound, literally, depending on how loud you're playing & how long you're exposed to it, it makes your hearing more and more dull. like when you're in a club, and when you go outside, your hearing is fux0red.

so i think mixing at low volumes is way better. bump the faders when needed, but overall keep it down.
and once you have a rough mix like this, it will purr when played out loud, as you said Smile
i think so too mojo. plus your hearing gets fucked over time if you mix loud all the time. its good to crank it up now and then but not for most of the session

remember to take breaks too
dharma one Wrote:i think so too mojo. plus your hearing gets fucked over time if you mix loud all the time. its good to crank it up now and then but not for most of the session

remember to take breaks too

[Image: icon13.gif]
Xyxthumbs @ all that Smile
my uncle told me one time that you should get one of those gadgets that measures db levels from wherever you're holding it (in relation to the sound in the room), and that there's an "optimum' volume for the most accurate level to mix at. (generally speaking.....)

i'll have to ask him again about the specifics....

anyone know how much one of those db meters costs?
dodz Wrote:my uncle told me one time that you should get one of those gadgets that measures db levels from wherever you're holding it (in relation to the sound in the room), and that there's an "optimum' volume for the most accurate level to mix at. (generally speaking.....)

i'll have to ask him again about the specifics....

anyone know how much one of those db meters costs?

radio shack used to sell one for under 30 dollars..don't know how much they do it for now...or if they still offer it.,

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
0=0 Wrote:radio shack used to sell one for under 30 dollars..don't know how much they do it for now...or if they still offer it.,

j

0=0

sweet....will look into that!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frequency analyser reason 4 brandz 5 3,681 22nd February 2011, 15:23
Last Post: brandz
  Pre eqing breaks? fraher 12 3,592 26th September 2008, 14:01
Last Post: Lephrenic
  please recommend me a proper book/tutorial on EQing? LAsymbolism 9 3,698 13th June 2008, 01:33
Last Post: LAsymbolism
  Bits and Sampling Frequency tyler 44 8,582 30th June 2007, 11:59
Last Post: tyler
  eqing the 'get ready' break djfada 17 4,495 29th June 2007, 18:37
Last Post: Shiva