Statto - The man and his music

59 Replies, 21885 Views

Typically humble, our glorious leader has been hiding his light under a bushel in relation to one of his musical escapades which has recently been uncovered here:

http://thethingonthedoorstep.be/blog/

Check out Statto killing it with some 80s post punk/experimental/industrial/ambient business:

http://thethingonthedoorstep.be/blog/200...ves-birth/

Quote:Metamorphosis are an impressive 4 piece from Nottingham whose ideas and performance are pretty unique. Experimental music with an array of instruments - including glockenspiel, clarinet, trumpet, etc. - over rhythms. Their early music shows a new angle on music and a strong feeling for ambience. Already they have moved on and developed a new sound of their own. Consisting of Jonathan Tait, Matthew Collin, Meloni Poole and Nick Cope, their musical progression - the most important aspect of their existence - is reproduced in words and pictures in a series of small scale publications put together by the individual members - 'Y', Mowbray Product, 391 and Hiatus...

I listen to a lot of this stuff, and am a regular at that blog, and despite the huge amount of similar music on offer, I was struck by this album when I listened to it - it is indeed a great LP.

Hats off!

Applause Applause
very intresting
Downloaded this last night but haven't had the chance to listen, but will do when I get home later.

Kingstatto
droid Wrote:typically humble

not really
just nervous about dredging up the past Nervous

nice that people there (and here) still liked the record though Kisskiss
Getting now Hyper
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Wink
been listening to this for a couple of hours now. track 3 is current favourite Xyxthumbs
i knew it.
Smile
Pon the downlow Icon_yippee
First one to sample it gets a prize! Grin
Hyper checking now
Fushara
What do you do on it by the way Statto? I remember you telling me once upon a time outside Cargo, that you hit sheets of metal and stuff. Was that this?

I am getting it now - work fukt up the previous attempt but it should be done any minute Smile
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Statto sue their ass for copyright violation Teef

*Downloads now...*
Macc Wrote:What do you do on it by the way Statto? I remember you telling me once upon a time outside Cargo, that you hit sheets of metal and stuff. Was that this?

no, that was in our later free improv incarnation The Threepenny Group; and the sheets of metal were just sound sources (hit, bowed, scraped, squeaked, tickled, etc), set up with contact mics and processed through electronics.

on this, errmm, I can't actually remember. I know I hit various things: drums, percussion, glockenspiel, metal pipes and so forth (though that's not just me); I probably play flute and recorder; errmm, is there any piano on it? Most of it was constructed on a four-track rather than played out live, so it's not obvious who's doing what.
cool stuff mr tait, very ambient.

glockenspiel Lovesmilie
sounds great, i like this a lot Xyxthumbs

statto, do you have recordings of all your old music projects? and no interest in making some new music now (or do you do Icon_eek)?
littleNemo Wrote:Statto, do you have recordings of all your old music projects?

I have some stuff on cassette, some of which I still quite like

littleNemo Wrote:And no interest in making some new music now (or do you do Icon_eek)?

I wouldn't say "no interest" Wink
Icon_yippee grabbing it now!
Statto Wrote:I have some stuff on cassette, some of which I still quite like

I think I'm not alone in being interested in hearing said stuff.

Statto Wrote:
littleNemo Wrote:And no interest in making some new music now (or do you do Icon_eek)?

I wouldn't say "no interest" Wink

Ok, wanna form a band? Icon_razz
wow jon i never knew. straight to my mp3 player for weekend transit use
Statto has Ableton Live now Grin
the demo version anyway Wink
More please Statto. Grin

Id be very interested in any other recordings for our ongoing Shwantology project.
At last!! Looking forward to hearing this later. Hitting inanimate objects is great fun Wink
droid Wrote:Id be very interested in any other recordings for our ongoing Shwantology project.

wossat? Smile

but anyway, the only other stuff I have is personal cassettes of live recordings and I don't want to make those publicly available (I didn't put this LP up either for that matter Wink), mainly because I don't know that the others would be happy about it.

I dunno, they might not give the slightest fuck, but then again they might give a great big fuck, since everything ended rather acrimoniously and I haven't seen any of them in over 20 years.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man United 1 Man City 6 Statto 12 3,867 25th October 2011, 18:06
Last Post: Macc
  statto insults your favorite music PT. 1 scart ridge 201 46,434 10th June 2010, 13:10
Last Post: Statto
  Subvert Central insults Statto's favourite music. INITIAL 30 6,376 10th July 2009, 10:54
Last Post: cycom
  statto's music share cd.. Ashes 18 5,113 14th March 2005, 16:10
Last Post: UFO_over_easy
  SHOULD STATTO BECOME A MUSIC JOURNALIST? Blue 16 4,550 12th November 2004, 00:28
Last Post: Statto