Latency issues...

13 Replies, 5008 Views

I know the sound card has a latency of 46.ms so its not a great and when i can i will buy a better sound card.

In the mean time is there anything i can do to lower it again further.

I have a HD Sound Max sound card built into the Asus M2N32 Sli mb. I have it set to full duplex, is that better than half duplex? I have the Asio drivers set to coinside with full duplex so i have (in my limited knowledge) reduced it as much as i am aware i can but there is still some glitching and jumping. Its driving me mad trying to get into the flow of writing a track and having to put up with jumping sounds, backtracking etc.

Any recommendations of a decent sound card for approx £200 at most?

Thanks all

Steve.
[Image: jungletrain_2.png]
e-mu 1212 is the biz, £130 iirc.
nerve Wrote:i know the sound card has a latency of 46.ms so its not a great and when i can i will buy a better sound card.

in the mean time is there anything i can do to lower it again further.

i have a hd sound max sound card built into the asus m2n32 sli mb. i have it set to full duplex, is that better than half duplex? i have the asio drivers set to coinside with full duplex so i have (in my limited knowledge) reduced it as much as i am aware i can but there is still some glitching and jumping. its driving me mad trying to get into the flow of writing a track and having to put up with jumping sounds, backtracking etc.

46ms is the latency of the generic asio directx full duplex driver, which along with everything else you say, you seem to be using.

google 'asio4all' and use that instead. however it will not improve the sound quality of the hardware (ad/da convertors) in your built in piece of shit soundcard.

Quote:any recommendations of a decent sound card for approx £200 at most?

there's loads!

the emu 1212m is indeed excellent value - an excellent card all round.

however after the sound quality of the soundmax, any half decent card will blow your tits off when you first hear it.

Wave
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
cheers all!

Wave
nerve Wrote:some glitching and jumping. Its driving me mad trying to get into the flow of writing a track and having to put up with jumping sounds, backtracking etc.

Have set your windows to give priority to background services?
good point ^ Yes

system cache too unless you're using a uad (apparently it can cause probs with uad, that setting)
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Shiva Wrote:
nerve Wrote:some glitching and jumping. Its driving me mad trying to get into the flow of writing a track and having to put up with jumping sounds, backtracking etc.

Have set your windows to give priority to background services?

Dont know how to do this! Any suggestions?
macc Wrote:good point ^ Yes

system cache too unless you're using a uad (apparently it can cause probs with uad, that setting)

nor this....

suggestions please?
right click my computer
properties
advanced tab
performance settings button
advanced tab

the two buttons there, set them to background services and system cache. ASIO drivers (which carry yer audio about) count as background processes Wink
I aslo suggest the setting "adjust for best performance". You will loose fancy windows graphics and icons but the machine will run faster.
Cool, thanks guys, will give it a try.

I have been adjusting my asio settings too. Windows full duplex gets the latency down to its lowest in cubase but are there any other things i can do within that to get things moving quicker? There are loads of other options, Roland VSC etc. Are there any others that i should use? Have tried a few others and the simulations fail, but maybe there's a combination thats of more use?

Either way sound card on friday coming will sort me right out....
Just use the dedicated ASIO driver that comes with your new card and use its control panel to adjust latency.

Smile
yeah have been although i have been playing with the different asio drivers to see if any reduce the latency by more, none make it any quicker than the Windows full duplex at the mo though. Its ok though, pay day friday, onwards and upwards.

Cheers Macc Wink
Get ASIO4ALL mate. Until you have a decent soundcard worth having ( Grin ), it's the best option. It still won't make a realtek sound any good though :P

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having issues with Ableton and ASIO drivers Muttley 2 7,422 1st October 2019, 13:38
Last Post: Statto
  Cubase fukin 4! (delay fx issues) SHIFT 9 7,722 14th September 2010, 06:19
Last Post: SHIFT
  more production issues SHIFT 6 5,300 9th June 2009, 19:57
Last Post: SHIFT
  Help dealing with Phase issues Isobar 5 5,350 5th June 2009, 15:58
Last Post: Isobar
  1820m and cubase issues polygon 1 3,055 31st January 2009, 13:45
Last Post: titanium