Tings what I listened to today

131 Replies, 105259 Views

Edgar Froese - Aqua - 45 min of damn near nonstop melotron bubbles with some treated tape sounds, synths, and an organ. Aqua boasts use of "revolutionary artificial head technology"... maybe it has something to do with the constant radial panning of sounds...i dunno.

thats what I listened to.

(i'd provide links w/ clips, but i don't think a 30 sec clips gonna do justice)
-a}}|{{{
oh yea

i forgot one

Synergy - Computer Experiments - First non tangerine dream synth LP I ever bought. I had no idea what to look for, but the description made it sound promising. It's a recording of a program called Pink Tones "performing" using a Prophet 5 synthesizer. Pink
Tones is given certian parameters like duration, field of notes, harmonies, and "the like from the total spectrum of all possibilities" and kicks out MIDI code to the Prophet 5. It's no suprise that Pink Tones is terrible at making music in any conventional sense, but still interesting.
-a}}|{{{
takeshi nishimoto - monologue

boomkat Wrote:now: £4.95
while stocks last!

really nice acoustic guitar music [Image: bluesmile.gif]
A rant from my colleague about his wife Roll Teef

(true!)
[Image: rant.gif]
christina kubisch - invisible/inaudible: five electrical walks

rer Wrote:in recent years christina has organised a number of electrical walks in various cities around the world. the walker is supplied with customised wireless headphones which pick up and make audible the electromagnetic fields generated by light systems, radar, surveillance and alarm systems, neon, public transport networks, cellphones, the internet, atm machines, wi-fi - and so on: a sea of normally inaudible data through which we constantly wade, oblivious to its restless chatter. the walker also has a street map with a suggested route and listening points. the cd is a composite in 5 parts of several such walks in birmingham, chicago, teipei, paris, bremen, riga, tokyo, madrid, london, new york and berlin, each concentrating on particular kinds of sounds or environments. a vast range of pulses, roars, hums, buzzes, thin siren tones and rich chords creating rhythms, drones and shifting colours. these are the soundscapes we never hear. but here they are.

[Image: bluesmile.gif]
^ this sounds feckin brilliant, Statto!
sounds interesting if you're actually there doing it
UFO_over_easy Wrote:sounds interesting if you're actually there doing it

I'm sure it'd be more interesting on location yes

still pretty good though Smile
is there a guide or anything in the sleeve notes so you have some idea of what you're hearing? that'd be cool
UFO_over_easy Wrote:is there a guide or anything in the sleeve notes so you have some idea of what you're hearing? that'd be cool

there's a basic description of each piece, of what it was constructed from
e.g.

Christina Kubisch Wrote:Homage With Minimal Disinformation 2006

The city of New York is one of the places with the most intense electromagnetic fields I have ever heard. The recordings for this piece were made in August 2006 around Times Square, where you can find a large concentration of flashing neon advertisements, scrolling LED tickers, information screens and illuminated signs, all of them pulsating, flickering and moving constantly. All these devices create a dense net of nervous, rhythmic and constantly chaning electromagnetic signals.

The first version of the piece was made for "Invisible Geographies", an exhibition of Sound Art at The Kitchen, in September 2006. Originally I planned to do a piece in the style of the minimal music of the seventies, a period when I was performing for the first time at The Kitchen (at that time still at Broome Street) where the music of Reich, Glass, etc, was played often.

Somehow during the working process "Homage" took on its own life and became a pulsating net of minimal electromagnetic rhythms just as I had experienced them walking around at Times Square.

this one's like a sort of a minimal techno Smile
Thanks again to Statto for recommending me

Jimmy Giuffre - Freefall

BLINDING RECORD!

Gonna look for more of this cat.
[ last.fm ]
it's awesome Yes
various - extreme music from africa

susan lawly Wrote:africa - the dark continent of the tyrants, the beautiful girls, the bizarre rituals, the tropical fruits, the pygmies, the guns, the mercenaries, the tribal wars, the unusual diseases, the abject poverty, the sumptuous riches, the widespread executions, the praetorian colonialists, the exotic wildlife - and the music.

as a follow-up to extreme music from japan, susan lawly releases extreme music from africa. compiled and co-ordinated after exhaustive research through special contacts from countries as diverse as morocco, republic of south africa, zimbabwe and uganda - and the internet by william bennett, this extraordinary compilation results in a totally unique vision of a totally unique continent.

it's just a lot of noise really, from a lot of people i've never heard of
good stuff if you like this kind of thing

You know that this is probably a fake (in the sense that it's not music from Africa but just Bennet)? Not that it really matters.
littleNemo Wrote:You know that this is probably a fake (in the sense that it's not music from Africa but just Bennet)? Not that it really matters.

it matters a bit though

Grumble
Statto Wrote:[The walker is supplied with customised wireless headphones which pick up and make audible the electromagnetic fields generated by light systems

can these be bought anywhere?

that sounds like a great weekend...
Statto Wrote:
littleNemo Wrote:You know that this is probably a fake (in the sense that it's not music from Africa but just Bennet)? Not that it really matters.

it matters a bit though

Grumble

AFAIK it's not 100% clear, but apparently nobody has ever heard anything of these artists, even noise musicians active in these countries scenes. But if it's good it's good. Grin
yes Smile

but I like the thought of obscure artists making noise in obscure parts of africa
it loses that if it's just bennett doing it all

Neutral
AFAIK all othe "Extreme Music from..." comps are no fakes, so this might be legit too and these rumours are just spread by shit-talking people that have heard something somewhere but really don't know anything (like me).
littleNemo Wrote:so this might be legit too and these rumours are just spread by shit-talking people that have heard something somewhere but really don't know anything (like me).

Kisskiss
just spent the evening jamming with one jazz/death/abstract guitarist with one psychobilly/jazz rock guitarist jamming with me wiht my SH-101.. recordings coming soon...
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
noisemonkey Wrote:just spent the evening jamming with one jazz/death/abstract guitarist with one psychobilly/jazz rock guitarist jamming with me wiht my SH-101.. recordings coming soon...

Icon_yippee
currently:

the contest of pleasures - tempestuous

john butcher, xavier charles and axel dörner making improv noise on saxophone, clarinet and trumpet

stuart broomer Wrote:each musician has (...) explored the sonic potential of his instrument to the point where there are moments that might be attributable to any one of them — finger taps and air passing through a column become central events. one notable aspect of their work is the exploration of beat patterns, the sounds that arise as two pitches move toward unison, so that there are sounds that can’t be said to arise from any one of the three. at one point or another, each player approaches the specific glissando of a siren, doing so in the midst of sustained long tones. the result suggests an arvo pärt score with air-raid hardware.

Annea Lockwood - World Rhythms

green museum Wrote:Annea Lockwood has performed her World Rhythms since 1975, combining field recordings of water, earthquakes, volcanoes, geysers, radio waves from pulsars, and other sources mixed live in multi channel sound.

Rainbow

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I had a long plane ride, this is what I listened to MetaLX 3 3,141 3rd May 2021, 11:41
Last Post: cycom
  Post one CD/LP/EP you haven't listened to in over one year minimum firefinga 22 13,841 13th February 2015, 00:05
Last Post: Statto
  FREE RELEASE: Enjoy - Granny Runs Tings EP (Omnizero18) Euphony 12 5,851 18th February 2013, 19:37
Last Post: stemface
  So I just listened to Low dionysus 7 3,428 24th January 2012, 14:12
Last Post: dionysus
  DBM028 - Tim Reaper & Relapse / Algorhythm - Propa Tings / Against The Tide NoodeL 28 9,822 26th March 2010, 11:52
Last Post: NoodeL