Burial/dribble

47 Replies, 3049 Views

always behind the times, i've very recently heard Burials 'Untrue' album.

dunno what you make of it, but as far as i'm concerned the guy's a fucking genius.....hoover subs/wax-cylinder beats/clicks and noise/melancholia/FAR too much reverb - why, it's bloody PERFECT Lovesmilie

accessibility, too?! wtf
There is a huge thread on this here, and yes, its genius
I try to avoid using the word genius, but I give up on that ethos with this guy. Burial IS a genius.
Lovesmilie
..Smile..
I really, really enjoy the album too but I wouldn't go as far as calling him a genius though...
I adore Burial. Lovesmilie

oh and apparently he has been at a few technicalities.
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
Been caning the album again this wknd..love it all but Etched headplate is THE one imo...those vocals give me shivers Lovesmilie
The beat on archangel is too much! :P
Too good! Homerdrool
Quote:I really, really enjoy the album too but I wouldn't go as far as calling him a genius though...

Please list any geniuses.
i assume you meant musical geniuses, so: j.s. bach, frederic (fryderyk) chopin, tony williams, zakir hussein, jaco pastorius...

and to avoid starting a silly discussion on genius in music - imo burial isn't a genius but you're entitled to a totally different opinion Xyxthumbs
a master of swords, clips and mood inducing music.
B Wrote:oh and apparently he has been at a few Technicalities.

really? I wonder which ones?
I was thinking musical geniuses yes, but I remember thinking I'd leave the question deliberately open in case you listed other kinds of geniuses. I have some works by Bach and Chopin, but Burial consistently makes me come over all emotional when listening to his music, and I listen to his music a lot. That in itself is an indicator of the potent emotional reach of his music.

What's more, something like this second LP is both full of intricacies (I hear new things each time I re-listen), and yet is "accessible" for want of a word. Some of the tracks are catchy whilst also being very intricate. As I said I barely ever talk about people as geniuses and I don't think I've ever used the word to describe a musician before, but I feel very inclined to with this guy.

Ironically, in some interview I read, he says he's not a musician. Okay, so he doesn't make his works with an instrument, but how can someone who makes such stunning music not be a musician?
Quote:a master of swords, clips

What do you mean?
I think we shouldn't be talking whether he is a genius or not beacuse music in general is all matter of personal taste & opinion - therefore it is totally subjective and as such cannot be measured in any way allowing us to conclude that a certain musician X is actually a genius. This being said, the 'emotional charge' in Burial's music which appeals to you to such an extent that you call him a 'genius' doesn't necessarily have to have the same effect on, say, me Wink

And I wasn't questioning him being a musician because he most certainly is one!
Utopian Wrote:
Quote:a master of swords, clips

What do you mean?

the way his hi-hats sound like swords slicing and how he incorporates a clip
being unloading into a rhythm. Wink
"etched headplate" is probaly my favorite...

the tune "untrue" is very emotive...

and the pad in "raver" hurts my feelings...

only complaint is the use of the same drum sounds in nearly every song on both albums...

otherwise, i'd probaly say the atmospheres he creates more than make up for it...

he's lined up a collaboration w/ a certain d&b producer that should be off the chain...
hey proto could you plz focus on that last sentence? which db producer?
can't do it, sorry, been sworn to secrecy...

should be big though, and i'm sure subvert central will be the first to know when it is put on blast...

Xyxthumbs
click the logo below to download mixes,
listen to tracks, contact, and more...

[Image: camo_black02.gif]
He samples staplers in like 4 or 5 of his tracks.
It certainly sounds like staplers. I'm thinking of Exit Wounds and a couple of others. Is it really though?

Cram, I know you weren't saying he wasn't a musician. I just got onto thinking about that because he made the comment in an interview, and thought I'd stick it in here.

I'm not trying to get too hung up on whether he's a genius or not. I just thought I'd throw that comment in there, because you hear a lot of people over-use the word genius (a bit like Vince in The Mighty Boosh if you've ever seen that Grin ), and I don't recall saying it much about anyone in life. I like to avoid using the word. I guess I've been saving it for a moment where I can't resist screaming "genius" about something and someone.

A quick Google search on definitions of genius turned up amongst others, the following three, all of which I think could apply to him:

someone who has exceptional intellectual ability and originality
ace: someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field
exceptional creative ability

Re: the top one, he certainly has originality with the elements he's combined so fittingly in his music, and I suspect that points to at least a pretty decent intellectual ability.

(Let's not get too carried away trying to define 'intellectual' either :P )
caned this too much. had to take it off the ipod.

Favs were Etched Headplate & Untrue.
Had a listen i like some of the tracks including Untrue, but im confused why people call tracks like that dubstep? To me thats brokenbeat. Theres been music like that around a lot longer than dubstep.

Me and Dave Nucleus were chatting about this and it seems so many styles are all of a sudden considered dubstep like its a massive umbrella for dubstep heads to stick what music they like under it and call it something new. Its just my opinion so dont go spastic on me Wink

Im not hating on it at all i like the album hes a talented guy(wouldnt say genuis (but i leave that term for very few people.)) Just think its a shame for people like Bugs in the attic ect who were involved in developing and creating a scene for a new(ish) genre to come along and make claim to it.

Its the same as when ive heard some(not all and i know im no expert) so called dub step with double time breaks in and drops ect and it makes me think hang on isnt that Breaks?(or later known New School Breaks) What makes that dubstep and not Breaks which personally i was playing mid/late 90`s-ealry 00`s. Again the same could be said about stuff that blatently would be labbeled as electronica or even Techno.

Personally im not a fan of what i think of as dubstep, but im open minded. As with all music I`m sure there is good material out there, along with the wobble. Im not even saying Burial thinks of the album as dubstep but look at mags,record shops ect and thats what they are calling it.

Just confused about why anything 130-140bpm is getting labeled Dubstep?

Discuss...
For News/Audio/Bookings/Videos www.djtrax.wordpress.com
kris Wrote:The beat on archangel is too much! :P

can't get over the way it roles

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burial's identity revealed Statto 11 4,092 18th July 2013, 07:35
Last Post: Roo Stercogburn
  Burial Album kidkut 29 6,976 10th June 2013, 09:01
Last Post: Law
  New Burial Utopian 39 9,404 15th January 2013, 00:55
Last Post: noisemonkey