Virus Vaults LP

57 Replies, 8543 Views

Sumo Wrote:Errrm leviticus?

Optical was a simple engineering gun-for hire on that tune. When I talk about Optical, I mean the Optical that impacted on the music - the Optical on Virus, Metro, Protoytype etc.

PS Wizard: why are you not going to 'even bother' discussing this? A difference of opinion doesn't mean that we have to fight about it. Grin And sure, you have every right not to care either way - but then why reply at all if you then refuse to discuss it? Seems odd to me...? Baffled
Leviticus made no impact on the music? he may have been a gun for hire, but he had a big hand in arguably the biggest jungle tune ever.
Sumo Wrote:Leviticus made no impact on the music? he may have been a gun for hire, but he had a big hand in arguably the biggest jungle tune ever.

Absolutely it had an impact.

But you can't deny that Optical had a sound he was developing and Leviticus had very little to do with it.

For the record I don't see the jungle/drum and bass split as ridgidly as Naphta, I think its more that Optical had a vision of the music he wanted to make which he was able to realise post-Metalheadz/No U-Turn...he's more like an auteur like Photek.
you're right i can't deny that optical stuff later in his career wasn't quite in line with what went before. to be honest it was comments like optical has nothing to do with jungle which got up my nose, but like the murphy's...... Xyxthumbs
Xyxthumbs

something definitely happened to him production wise in 96 or 97...a lot of stuff from before is really different to his headz/prototype/31 stuff.
Logos Wrote:
Sumo Wrote:Leviticus made no impact on the music? he may have been a gun for hire, but he had a big hand in arguably the biggest jungle tune ever.

Absolutely it had an impact.

But you can't deny that Optical had a sound he was developing and Leviticus had very little to do with it.

This is what I mean. Optical may have been involved in the production of Leviticus, but I never heard him do a solo tune that reflected anything of that vibe at all. I liked some Little Matt stuff alright, but everything from 96 on... left me kinda cold. Baffled

Quote:For the record I don't see the jungle/drum and bass split as ridgidly as Naphta, I think its more that Optical had a vision of the music he wanted to make which he was able to realise post-Metalheadz/No U-Turn...he's more like an auteur like Photek.

To explain a little further: Jungle = (by comparison) more organic, more obviously sample-based, more fragmented... etc. etc. Grin

Sure I agree - Optical had a vision! I just wasn't very interested in it. Most people I know went ballistic for Moving 808s, To Shape the Future etc.: I didn't. It just sounded like another variant on techno to me, and that didn't grab me, y'know? Whereas early No U Turn had retained that hiphop influence and attitude, the likes of Dom and Optical made the music whiter-than-white, bringing the industrial, synthetic vibe, minus any traces of the organic. I wasn't in that really... and when he started to make his rhythms even more linear and techno-like (Wormhole etc.), I was gone altogether.

Sumo: I actually didn't mean what I said as an insult to Optical at all - it's just an observation! Optical has rightfully earned his place as a big influence in the devlopment of drum n bass (for better or worse Teef). But I don't think of his music being anything to do with 'Jungle'... Grin
Chin
Joke: what's the difference?

Can you read? Optical obviously likes poker, he just burned all of his chips.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virus Vaults CD DJFracture 49 12,154 8th July 2020, 08:23
Last Post: noisemonkey
  the HS Breaks Pack Part 1 - from the KUCI jazz vaults HiddenSound 7 2,639 11th April 2009, 03:19
Last Post: J.DIGITAL
  SC Vaults missy swanker 8 1,833 20th January 2009, 00:33
Last Post: Rothko
  [CLUB] REACH NEW MONTHLY RESIDENCY @ THE VAULTS-JUNE 6TH Delta 69 9,681 11th June 2008, 14:40
Last Post: Breaker
  Doomsday Plant Vaults Lata 3 1,330 11th February 2007, 17:52
Last Post: dj_obiwan