Recycle/midi questions .

7 Replies, 3214 Views

1. Can someone explain the pro & cons of using a recycle midi file vs. audio for my breaks?
I normally will chop my break in recycle on every hit, then save the Rex.
After i go into ableton, right click on the rex and select 'slice to new midi trak;& use chord & stutter preset'. I get decent reslults, however sometimes i must adjust the pitch alot to get my break to groove right. Is there a better way to do this in order to help with the actual groove of my break?

2.When i use recycle, i set my tempo @ 170, my bars to 1 and the sign to4/4.
is there something i'm not doing right here?
Is there a way i can help my break groove more in recycle.
I thought i heard macc say something about this in a old thread but i'm still not sure whats up....
soundcloud.com/coyopa
LAsymbolism Wrote:2.When i use recycle, i set my tempo @ 170, my bars to 1 and the sign to4/4.
is there something i'm not doing right here?

I leave the tempo as defined by the original break, assuming you have entered the correct beat/bar size of your chopped loop. If the beat is 4/4 time then that setting will be fine... (self explanatory right?)

Essentially I only use recycle to chop, I never use the envelope/time stretching nonsense at all as invariably the end result annoys me.
One trick with midi in Ableton is "Stretch Notes". A way of lengthening or shortening a phrase while preserving the relative timing of each hit.

Also you might as well do away with Recycle and just slice in Live using Warp Markers. Even easier now if you have Live 8. Then export the MIDI file and save the kit. Bosh.
Also with live 8 you can apply groove to the clip which is great for getting a consistent feel to the backline !

Especially nice is the random parameter which adjusts each individual hit by a random amount each time it is played so you get a more loose/natural feel.. and if you find a groove you like you can commit it to the midi file so that it stays fixed.

I dont use recycle, just using the warp markers and slice to midi in live. I use the default setting here, as I prefer a more natural sound. try adjusting the sustain /decay and release settings in the rack to get things tight.
Lephrenic Wrote:slice in Live using Warp Markers. Even easier now if you have Live 8

I wasn't overly impressed with the beat detection in 7 (Live n00b tbh) and warp marking seemed a bit laborious.. how are things improved in 8?
thanx!
soundcloud.com/coyopa
rondema Wrote:
Lephrenic Wrote:slice in Live using Warp Markers. Even easier now if you have Live 8

I wasn't overly impressed with the beat detection in 7 (Live n00b tbh) and warp marking seemed a bit laborious.. how are things improved in 8?

You can slice on transients now... the detection is ok. It is possible to fine tune things after you have sliced, because each slice is just a simpler with sample start and end points set..
rondema Wrote:

You now move the transients of the audio to the right time instead of moving the time line around the transients. Once I got my head the previous way of doing things I never had any issue with it.

I suppose it is a bit more intuitive, I mean it was quite an alien concept to me that you altered the time line. That has always been a constant in all the other time line based software I use so I guess they are bringing it in line with the established way of doing things.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Renoise 2.7.0 - INTEGRATED "RECYCLE" !!! snaper 6 3,735 17th May 2011, 09:24
Last Post: infest
  MIDI n00b questions denaris 14 2,813 4th February 2010, 13:12
Last Post: Lephrenic
  [Lambchop] S.E's new recycle clone socialengineer 90 22,741 30th December 2008, 00:00
Last Post: socialengineer
  Importing Recycle Wav Slices in Kontakt 3 geoffrainbow 4 2,742 26th September 2008, 14:22
Last Post: djfada
  The let off steam at Recycle thread Macc 72 15,061 19th June 2008, 11:52
Last Post: Ashtonron