Can't be arsed to go to sleep

24 Replies, 9032 Views

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good sleep and enjoy dreaming, but usually only once it's happening. It's the deciding to go to bed and settling down that I find boring, even when quite tired.

I would rather be awake doing things.
Utopian Wrote:Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good sleep and enjoy dreaming, but usually only once it's happening. It's the deciding to go to bed and settling down that I find boring, even when quite tired.

yeah... I have that kinda thing going on.

maybe a bit less in the last year or so... think I must be getting old !
oi!

My dreams last night were CRAZY.

Will not describe them bc it's annoying when people do that, but just sayin'...while you're awake, you could be missing out on some far out, spiritually transcending stuff!

Wide awake or fast asleep; both are equally as fun imo. Smile
I ought not to clean my teeth within half an hour of wanting to sleep, because toothpaste wakes me right up.
Quote:Will not describe them
I'd like to hear. Smile
Utopian Wrote:
Quote:Will not describe them
I'd like to hear. Smile

Well, basically I came to the realization that I had died in a plane crash and had no physical body anymore...basically I could 'will' whatever I wanted, or something to that extent.

wacky stuff!
Utopian Wrote:I ought not to clean my teeth within half an hour of wanting to sleep, because toothpaste wakes me right up.

does the same to me... or makes me hungry Grumble
physical exercise is a good remedy. reading and having something for the mind to churn over works brilliantly for me tbh.

the other night i couldnt sleep i turned the pages of a book i was analyzing and that set my mind in the right place to go under.

physical vs. mental. for some they need to be physically drained, for me i have to be mentally drained to sleep.
Sleep is illusive for me. I'd grab it whenever I could but I've been living on about 5 hours a night average all week for the past 10 years. 6 hours is a good nights sleep. Stabalised a lot recently though, no probs getting off and staying asleep.

But yeah I like to stay up to get things done and do stuff. An early night (bear in mind I'm up for work at 7am every day) is midnight. BUT I can't do anything on my computer past 10:30pm otherwise it's guaranteed I won't get to sleep.
Utopian Wrote:Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good sleep and enjoy dreaming, but usually only once it's happening. It's the deciding to go to bed and settling down that I find boring, even when quite tired.

I'm the other way round.
The only times I delay going to bed when I'm tired are if:

a) I'm nowhere near my bed (though I can usually manage to go to sleep wherever anyway).
b) there's something I have to do the next day, so that staying up sort of puts it off for a bit.

:bed:
Why does your computer in particular stop you getting to sleep?

I watched this documentary in the winter about a guy who couldn't sleep. I've rarely been scared by a horror film, but this, knowing it's real, freaked me out. Maybe it was my state of mind at the time, and it's not as scary as I remember it being, but check it out if you're willing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lry-RrvKwco:nervous:
Utopian Wrote:Why does your computer in particular stop you getting to sleep?

Sitting so close to a monitor, taking in so much information and thus keeping my mind very active. It happened when I was about 13, started having problems getting to sleep because I was on my Amiga until bed at about 11:30. So started getting off it earlier and it helped.

If Madcap comes round for a studio session, I can guarantee I won't get to sleep until 3ish because we'll be working until gone 11 from about 6.

Of course, a good sleeping tablet will counter both annoyances Wink
Not being able to sleep is one of the worst things I know. I had it just recently. Worked far too much for a couple of days (14-16 hours, had to get something done) - then the house renovation and this Saturday the move. Then something bad happened in a project (I deleted some files which someone else had worked on and there were no backups) - this got me in a state of mind, where I could not sleep at all, so I stayed awake until 9 in the morning, then slept for 1.5 hours and somehow something must've been temporarily broken from then on. The last 3 days I tried to fall asleep, I woke up 10 minutes later not being able to go to sleep again. Nervous

I'm glad to say, that last night went well (after some herbal tea, warm milk + honey treatment Smile) and I slept for 6 hours. :relief:
Wilshy Wrote:
Utopian Wrote:Why does your computer in particular stop you getting to sleep?

Sitting so close to a monitor, taking in so much information and thus keeping my mind very active.

yes, your brain keeps whirring away, so you just lie there in bed annoyingly tired and awake at the same time. I usually go and watch telly for a bit.
cycom Wrote:Not being able to sleep is one of the worst things I know. I had it just recently. Worked far too much for a couple of days (14-16 hours, had to get something done) - then the house renovation and this Saturday the move. Then something bad happened in a project (I deleted some files which someone else had worked on and there were no backups) - this got me in a state of mind, where I could not sleep at all, so I stayed awake until 9 in the morning, then slept for 1.5 hours and somehow something must've been temporarily broken from then on. The last 3 days I tried to fall asleep, I woke up 10 minutes later not being able to go to sleep again. Nervous

I'm glad to say, that last night went well (after some herbal tea, warm milk + honey treatment Smile) and I slept for 6 hours. :relief:

I feel that pain. Although whatever the worry I'm usually off by 4-5am. My body just shuts down. But had many a work worry keep me up.

Spot on Statts. Mind active, so tired, why can't I sleep. Fuck off thoughts. Die thoughts. Reach for the sleeping tabs Grin
sleep is for pussy's, have kids teaches you that

need a :redeye: smiley
dsp Wrote:need a :redeye: smiley

[Image: redeyes.gif]
I feel sorry for you guys with sleeping problems. It must be horrible at times, and such a hassle to organise your life around.
i dont get too much dreams coz i smoke too much.
Statto Wrote:
dsp Wrote:need a :redeye: smiley

[Image: redeyes.gif]
Hahaha
i have the opposite prob, i want to stay up later but so tired by 10-11 these days i cant ! Get around 8-9 hours sleep.

Used to stay up til 1 every night when i lived in london, and got up at 715. now its more like bed at1030 and up at 8...

Thought id have loads more time to myself up here. No Hahaha Even coffee late doesnt help.
i always feel more tired getting up and struggle a bit, if ive had 8 hours..

but if ive had 4-6 hours i find it easier to get back up and generally dont get any of that sluggish mid morning feeling

having said that tho i sometimes stop up for 2 or 3 days at a time

thats why im crackers
Paradigm X Wrote:i have the opposite prob, i want to stay up later but so tired by 10-11 these days i cant ! Get around 8-9 hours sleep.

Used to stay up til 1 every night when i lived in london, and got up at 715. now its more like bed at1030 and up at 8...

Thought id have loads more time to myself up here. No Hahaha Even coffee late doesnt help.

Lol
That's similar to me! I'm often off to bed at 10pm as I'm just knackered.
I do have to get up at 5.45am, and I do loads and loads of exercise, so I'm generally boggered by about 9pm Oops
Quote:Even coffee late doesnt help.
In a sense, I'm glad it doesn't overly keep me awake if I'm tired, otherwise I might be drinking it a lot for that reason to get things done (rather than because I like it, which is the reason I do).

I find anxiety doesn't keep me awake; if I'm worried about something, the worry usually makes me conk out okay. If I'm excited about good things in life, I tend to stay awake, happy but thinking I would be a tad happier if I could drop off. That's the case for me now, but it's a nice problem to have.
I sleep much better now than I used to. Been through it all and it ain't much fun No

If you're having problems drifting off, exercise can work, though I find it can also fill me with loads of unwanted adrenalin. Regulating your lifestyle is the main thing... cutting down on booze and eating the right stuff. Carbs for example tend to make our intenstines work differently and can often make us more tired (great in the evenings). Protein on the other hand makes our enzymes react differently and thus have an adverse effect.

If you really, really can't sleep, go for a slow ten minute walk. Fresh air can work wonders.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can't sleep crew Statto 3 2,563 7th August 2017, 17:27
Last Post: noisemonkey
  can't sleep Statto 25 5,197 16th November 2012, 09:49
Last Post: MetaLX
  In need of good sleep. mono_sono 7 3,034 18th May 2012, 23:19
Last Post: denaris
  No sleep crew Annastay 12 2,840 16th February 2010, 12:21
Last Post: Metal Malcolm
  Repetition/Distract - Not Even in Sleep littleNemo 10 1,308 21st December 2008, 23:36
Last Post: littleNemo