PARA
Sun Araw
Tropa Macaca
and probably others I've forgotten

out tonight to see:

Dreamers Cloth
Mouths of the Irrawaddy

Icon_yippee
Statto Wrote:as in live bands, live performances, not just guys playing records :P

I'm averaging three gigs a week at present Xyxthumbs

Statto Wrote:recently I've seen:

Formication
Gareth Hardwick
Machinefabriek
Nadja

Only know these, and wish I was there for them Neutral

Statto Wrote:out tonight to see:

Dreamers Cloth
Mouths of the Irrawaddy

Icon_yippee

Saw Zero 7 on Tuesday, out tonight to see Noah And The Whale:

http://www.myspace.com/noahandthewhale

Gigs Falcon
Damn...you get out quite a bit!

A proper sound person also helps.
this is gonna sound absolutely mad, but i havent been to a "gig" since i saw madonna at wembley stadium when i was 13.

i have never really been bothered with live gigs...i wish i had been!

the thing is, that i am so close minded about "live" music, i have shut myself away from it.

the only band that i want to see live are depeche mode...and hey, lets face it,that will just be a bunch of chaps on synths and a vocalist..

i think the only live thing ive seen in recent years was MACC live @ technicality.

which was absolutely brilliant i might add!

sorry for my lack of gigging.

maybe you could advise me of some good bands to go and see that give decent performances using electronic music??????

peace
dj hades Wrote:maybe you could advise me of some good bands to go and see that give decent performances using electronic music??????

peace

EOTO.

All live improvised jamming w/electronic music and live instruments...it's 2 of the guys from 'the string cheese incident'...it's a state side act, but if they do a tour over in your parts this is an act you don't want to miss!!
Not many gigs for me this year Icon_sad But next month there's Phill Niblock+Nelly Boyd and John Wiese+Lasse Marhaug Homerdrool
@ Statto... who?! Wink

I'm very similar to Hades, but not because of being closed minded just I never really fancied it. But it's all started changing over the past year. Sadly because of my gfs brain haemorrhage we had to miss Doves that I had tickets for.

Hope to get out to more in the coming 12 months.
nadja eh statto? local noisemeisters hehe Smile

saw them a few summers ago and snagged a mitfull of their cd's off them.
seen Transglobal Underground and Dreadzone last week.
pretty awesome! Smile

gonna see Dreadg on the 26th oct. Smile
Never sure about dance music live - always turns it from a 'club' where people dance and look at each other and have fun to a 'gig' where everyone stands there craning their neck to see someone doing something which is musically no more interesting and often quite boring to watch, particularly in a venue that isn't set up for watching stuff.

Music live generally is great though.

Have just got back from seeing Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Philharmonia playing the Firebird, which isn't really the same thing but was also awesome.
yeah, gigs are good (usually)....really like the chance thing of seeing support acts which convince you more than the headliners etc, too.

in relation to what Slothrop said, i caught Four Tet (in Wrexham of all places!) a couple of years back - was unsure of how convincing a bloke meddling with 2 laptops could be, but it turned into a perfect mixture of both people thinking 'sod this' and dancing, and people just watching - we were somewhere right in the middle, a bit drunk and frantically dancing, but never letting the geek thing go, watching every move Hahaha It was an amazing gig.

ps We blagged him (Mr.Hebdan) about software etc as soon as he'd packed up and spent the next 10 minutes jotting down internet links as he very politely spilled his guts Lovesmilie Perfect then! Xyxthumbs
Hovver Wrote:really like the chance thing of seeing support acts which convince you more than the headliners etc, too.

exactly! Smile
esb Wrote:nadja eh statto? local noisemeisters hehe Smile

saw them a few summers ago and snagged a mitfull of their cd's off them.

Twothumbs
Recently I've seen:

Reagan Youth
Dead Subverts <- seriously wicked hardcore punk
Some Kind Of Threat
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
The only live bands and performances I usually see are at festivals. Best place to see them imo.

I can never really be bothered to drag myself out to a gig in London unless someone makes me. I always feel there's better ways I could be spending my money and time.

Autechre live at Stealth was another matter though. Ended up on going on my own to that one. Cool
Concept81 Wrote:The only live bands and performances I usually see are at festivals. Best place to see them imo.

I can never really be bothered to drag myself out to a gig in London unless someone makes me. I always feel there's better ways I could be spending my money and time.

Autechre live at Stealth was another matter though. Ended up on going on my own to that one. Cool

best place to see bands is in a small hole in the wall that holds 300 people tops Wink
Saw Sunken Foal (Planet Mu) play a live show in a dis-used Church in Limerick recently... he was on last after about 5 or 6 experimental/electronic sound artists - only caught one of those before he went on - interesting soundscape stuff.

Anyway, Sunken Foal was deadly.

Played live keys and guitar. Obviously there was alot of sequenced stuff and computer controlled stuff, but still he was more live than most electronic acts I've seen !

2nd time I've caught him now, first time was with another guy playing drums off a MIDI keyboard (he was deadly! Icon_eek )
esb Wrote:best place to see bands is in a small hole in the wall that holds 300 people tops Wink

Yes

even smaller for preference Xyxthumbs

festivals Thumbd
marz volta in december!

mushroom brew on the ready!
silent.wolf Wrote:seen Transglobal Underground and Dreadzone last week.
pretty awesome! Smile

Grin
Statto Wrote:
esb Wrote:best place to see bands is in a small hole in the wall that holds 300 people tops Wink

Yes

even smaller for preference Xyxthumbs

festivals Thumbd

Interested to hear why you think this?

I love festivals. So much choice, and if one band is shit then you can just toddle off to another area. Never really bothered about intimacy, as my gf can attest to.

I love being out in the sun with a nice glass of cider, fresh air and good music. The clammy closeness of a dingey venue just doesn't really cut it for me.
Concept81 Wrote:
Statto Wrote:festivals Thumbd

too many people
the amenities shit
the refreshments crap
the sound dreadful
the cost exhorbitant
I've developed a bit of a gig habit in recent times...going to see cougar @ the lexington on the 23rd.
Statto Wrote:
Concept81 Wrote:

too many people
the amenities shit
the refreshments crap
the sound dreadful
the cost exhorbitant

Well I went to the Big Chill this year where admittedly there were a lot of people and a few dodgy toilets. But aside from that the food was amazing there, cheap cider, good sound setup and it was all free (for me anyway!).

And the weather was perfect. Cool
Statto Wrote:
Concept81 Wrote:

too many people
the amenities shit
the refreshments crap
the sound dreadful
the cost exhorbitant

All Tomorrows Parties Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  classic proper tunes thread Statto 252 107,669 11th December 2017, 22:05
Last Post: DJ ML
  Paris Hilton allegedly paid up to 1 million $ for DJ gigs firefinga 4 3,581 25th October 2014, 15:30
Last Post: dionysus
  Playing in London on Friday May 23rd, anyone got any gigs planned for the 24th ? Code 0 1,962 24th February 2014, 16:11
Last Post: Code
  Revisiting a proper listen to some music denaris 15 6,655 23rd September 2011, 16:44
Last Post: denaris
  classic proper tunes rejected by statto TVG 76 23,061 9th March 2011, 21:55
Last Post: littleNemo