The Chilli Sauce Thread

63 Replies, 12441 Views

Any chilli fans out there , what's your current flavour ?

I'm currently using

[Image: Tabasco-large.jpg]

[Image: Bushman%27s+Revenge.jpg]

[Image: danny_cash_radical_heat.jpg]
[Image: n525370594_264175_8629.jpg]
Chef's Pantry Dragons Breath Chilli Sauce is the bad man. Hot & tasty.

http://www.thechefspantry.co.uk/Hot%20Sauces.htm

Closest taste to an old kebab van sauce I used to go to in the 90s.
Any fans?! I LOVE it. In faxct, i make it. Have done for ages. My latest was a kinda Indian spice inspired chilli chutney. But my fave hot sauces are Caribbean Scotch Bonnet ones. The taste is so distinctive.

My 2 current faves are Windmill from Barbados. It uses turmeric and mustard seed so it's yellow and has a nice mustardy vibe to it. Great on poached eggs and any kind of meat really.

2nd is Mitchell's Proper Pepper Hot Sauce from right here in Tottenham, London. It's a decades old Guyanan recipe and is pretty much just straight up scotch bonnet. It has no preservatives or colour so it tastes soooo fresh! Blows all copycats out that water (encona and so on)
DJFracture Wrote:i make it.
Haven't tried that yet Grin
I do buy a bag of dried piri piri peppers and put them in the food blender and then use the ground dust in a salt shaker , excellent for adding heat to food with out loosing the taste.
pressure. Wrote:
DJFracture Wrote:i make it.
Haven't tried that yet Grin
I do buy a bag of dried piri piri peppers and put them in the food blender and then use the ground dust in a salt shaker , excellent for adding heat to food with out loosing the taste.

It's really, really easy. You just need good scotch bonnet peppers, the rest is simple. Onion and widely used spices. You can find loads of recipes online. In fact, i might blog one.

I got a couple, i'll put them up soon.
DJFracture Wrote:It's really, really easy. You just need good scotch bonnet peppers, the rest is simple. Onion and widely used spices. You can find loads of recipes online. In fact, i might blog one.

I got a couple, i'll put them up soon.

Cool, will have a look when you do Xyxthumbs
I don't really regard the pepper sauces as proper chilli sauces. So stuff like the various tabascos, Buffalo Hot Sauce etc, don't really do it for me. They're ok but a bit 'limp'. Handy in cooking at times but not something I sprinkle/pour over ready-to-eat food.

Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce is ok but it was a little bit over the top for me. I could have it on a sandwich but the heat-to-flavour quotient wasn't quite right. If found it only limited use in cooking because it didn't bring enough flavour to the mix. Not tried the Temporary Insanity Sauce, which seems to be a slightly milder version of it, though I'm not 100% sure. Dave's has the distinction of being the only sauce I've come across to date that was exactly as described on the bottle.

I'm not a fan of Thai chilli sauces, at least the supermarket varieties. If I want a jar of chilli sauce mixed in with a tonne of shit, I'll make my own.

Some of the various chilli sauces you can get at Chinese supermarkets are quite good, some having a fairly decent kick. This one:

[Image: CHCS201.jpg]

is quite nice, but feck knows what the proper name of it is. I like it on meat/salad sandwiches and got some in my fridge atm. It's described as hot on the bottle but its really only medium-ish. Chinese chilli sauces tend to have a distinctive flavour though and probably not to all tastes.

The old Sharwood's Sweet Chilli Sauce was ace. It went lovely into tuna & pasta. I've not seen it on supermarket shelves for a while now. I find the various dipping sauces atrocious and would rather make my own.

Really though, if you want to get into chilli sauces, although there's a few sites offering a few products but the best way is to spend some quality time in the nearest ethnic supermarket of choice. Main street supermarkets generally just don't stock anything really decent.

I tend to keep a bottle of Nando's Extra Hot or Extra Extra Hot in the fridge. I like these sauces and no big surprise, they're awesome on chicken.

There's a kebab van close to where I work and their chilli sauce is one of the best I've tasted. Yes, I go there sober. I need to get their saucey source Grin
Hmm... why would they put the image of a cock on a bottle of "HOT sauce". Chin

The chilli sauce we use isn't that good really. Guess I should start looking for something better.
Get those recipes up Frax.

Awesome thread, and long overdue.

Trying the Afrikaans Peri peri atm.... a bit over-lemony but once you get into it, it's bodmon.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Check the E numbers on most of the sauces mentioned here. Particularly Thai/Viet/Chinese ones. :MSG:
DJFracture Wrote:Check the E numbers on most of the sauces mentioned here. Particularly Thai/Viet/Chinese ones. :MSG:

Something's gotta get me through nightshifts! Grin

(though not for much longer Icon_sad )
DJFracture Wrote::MSG:

Falcon
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Macc Wrote:Trying the Afrikaans Peri peri atm.... a bit over-lemony but once you get into it, it's bodmon.

Ordered it off of ebay yesterday Grin along with 'jamaics pride'
It's a bit 'Jif' at first, but give it time.
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Lol
BTW

Mae Ploy Falcon
I can get bottles of Mitchel's and ship it? Serious, it's really good.
I might have to invest while I am that way tonight...
I repeat.

Wilshy Wrote:Chef's Pantry Dragons Breath Chilli Sauce is the bad man. Hot & tasty.

http://www.thechefspantry.co.uk/Hot%20Sauces.htm

Not mass produced like most. Fresh ingredients and amazing taste.
'Please note we do not endorse the use of chillies in any way for treatment of any medical condition.'

Hahaha
Macc Wrote:I might have to invest while I am that way tonight...

Indeed.
Of course!!!!

http://www.lovechillies.co.uk/chilli&her...20shop.htm

Falcon

Picachilli is one of the finest - and I seriously mean FINEST - such products I have ever tasted. The best picalilli with a chilli kick. BAD.
Working my way up to this , bit OTT but got to have something insane.
http://cgi.ebay.ie/BLAIRS-SUDDEN-DEATH-U...dZViewItem
your not a man unless...

[Image: 1148.jpg]
Roo Stercogburn Wrote:...
is quite nice, but feck knows what the proper name of it is.

i use this all the time (had in the pantry growing up) and until now didn't realize i also don't know what it's called Lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ben Kei's Fucking Hot Sauce - 2nd place at National Amateur Chilli Sauce competition! Ben Kei 36 10,763 21st September 2011, 23:33
Last Post: B
  2011 Chilli growing blog Ben Kei 55 11,916 31st August 2011, 21:35
Last Post: Ben Kei
  Bacon sandwiches and Tiptree brown sauce at 1:00 am appreciation markgabba 4 1,402 13th September 2009, 01:56
Last Post: Hovver
  [MIX]a brief history of chops, apple sauce not included noisemonkey 14 4,146 29th October 2008, 19:34
Last Post: noisemonkey
  Colman's Tartare Sauce Sir Loris of Crowthorne 14 2,996 24th August 2008, 19:15
Last Post: Macc