Jungle vs Drum & Bass

159 Replies, 89685 Views

I realize this question is controversial, and has been rinsed, but I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say. It's obvious that these two genres are related, but is there a difference between jungle and drum and bass, or are they the same thing? I've heard that anything after the mid to late 90's is more drum and bass, whereas before that jungle. I personally do think there is a difference in sound between them. Jungle seems to be more break oriented, choppy, with organic drums, whereas dnb is a bit more minimal on the drums. A lot of stuff that comes from scientific wax, subtle audio, bassbin, and subvert central to me is more on the jungle tip, and you can see various big name producers making their own jungle styled tracks such as High Contrasts "Ghost of Jungle Past" or Nu Tones "Our House"...is there a new enthusiasm out there for these types of tracks?
Here we go again [Image: icon_rolleyes.gif]
I have no opinion on this matter Smile
polyrhythmic mayhem please Grin
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
Crap, I'm out of popcorn. Can people hold off posting any more until I get back from the shop?
2012 will be big for Jungle. Smile

And yes, I believe there is a genuine and vital difference in both D&B and Jungle.
RickyForce Wrote:2012 will be big for Jungle. Smile

jungle or future jungle Teef
I think jungle is making a come back...like it's coming full circle. Look at mainstream hip hop in the US. At hip hops inception, it was funky music with conscious lyrics. Then it moved into thugged out, guns bitches and money type crap, and now conscious hip hop is making a comeback in the mainstream. (It always existed in the underground scene).
fiasko Wrote:

Just Jungle Wink

Don't care very much for the Future Jungle TBH
RickyForce Wrote:
fiasko Wrote:

Just Jungle Wink

Don't care very much for the Future Jungle TBH

It's just new school breaks with that bent Dubstep bass noise that every man and his dog smashes the arse out of from what I've heard so I'll stick to actual Jungle I think.
I think the problem is people reappropriate the name without too much care for the actual form.

Also, that it is very hard to describe what jungle is, far more so than drum & bass.

I think the best description i've come up with for jungle is 'where the melody of the tune is carried by the bassline'.

http://www.hardscore.com/articles/lazerdrome/
I would say the beats have a more melodic effect in jungle due to various pitch shifting and filtering and also a lot of tunes basslines are just gargantuan subs here and there
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
[Image: table.gif] [Image: boxedin.gif]
Jungle is Drum&Bass but not all Drum&Bass is Jungle. Xyxthumbs
greenleaf504 Wrote:Jungle is Drum&Bass but not all Drum&Bass is Jungle. Xyxthumbs

I'd go with that
I'm not sure about that. Jungle existed before D+B, so how can it be a subset of it? Its a bit like saying reggae is a subset of dancehall, or rock n' roll is a subset of punk.
droid Wrote:I'm not sure about that. Jungle existed before D+B, so how can it be a subset of it? Its a bit like saying reggae is a subset of dancehall, or rock n' roll is a subset of punk.

I don't mean chronologically, I just meant that Jungle can be considered Drum&Bass but not the other way around. Wink
greenleaf504 Wrote:
droid Wrote:I'm not sure about that. Jungle existed before D+B, so how can it be a subset of it? Its a bit like saying reggae is a subset of dancehall, or rock n' roll is a subset of punk.

I don't mean chronologically, I just meant that Jungle can be considered Drum&Bass but not the other way around. Wink

I know, but chronology is important. I cant think of another case where a new sub-genre name became a meta-genre name. Reggae will never be a subset of dancehall.

I think of them as two separate categories myself. Some crossover sure, but generally jungle is 93-96 and d+b is 96 on... I think confusion arises because d+b was specifically coined as an attempt to 'replace' jungle.
droid Wrote:I think of them as two separate categories myself. Some crossover sure, but generally jungle is 93-96 and d+b is 96 on... I think confusion arises because d+b was specifically coined as an attempt to 'replace' jungle.
Not quite true, because both were 'concepts' trying to work out an identity for themselves during 92-93

It is fair to say drum & bass includes jungle, but yes jungle as a 'concept' began before drum & bass

'Jungle' could never hope to describe everything of 93-96 hence that is where 'drum & bass' is also needed

Ornette Wrote:
droid Wrote:I think of them as two separate categories myself. Some crossover sure, but generally jungle is 93-96 and d+b is 96 on... I think confusion arises because d+b was specifically coined as an attempt to 'replace' jungle.
Not quite true, because both were 'concepts' trying to work out an identity for themselves during 92-93

It is fair to say drum & bass includes jungle, but yes jungle as a 'concept' began before drum & bass

'Jungle' could never hope to describe everything of 93-96 hence that is where 'drum & bass' is also needed

When did people start using drum and bass as a genre name? Bearing in mind that it was also being used in a different context to describe reggae and rare groove.

I mentioned those dates to give a rough idea of the sonics, TBH, I dont see why jungle is any less relevant a tag than D+B for the vast majority of music made during those years.
What happend to genres being named after the associated dance??

IE:

Foxtrot
Tango
Mambo
Ska
Salsa
Samba
etc....

IMHO Jungle = DnB
To avoid all the confusion, Brian Belle-Fortune used the term "JDB" = "Jungle Drum and Bass" in his book "All Crews" (which all of you should have read by now, otherwise you should be ashamed of yourselves)...

i always considered Jungle and Drum & Bass as the same genre...just a different name for the same idea...or maybe i`m wrong and or maybe it doesn`t matter anyhow, haha
Mind over Matter. Knowledge over Money. http://www.soundcloud.com/marvelcinema
Marvel Cinema Wrote:To avoid all the confusion, Brian Belle-Fortune used the term "JDB" = "Jungle Drum and Bass" in his book "All Crews" (which all of you should have read by now, otherwise you should be ashamed of yourselves)...

Why? its mostly awful.
droid Wrote:
Ornette Wrote:Not quite true, because both were 'concepts' trying to work out an identity for themselves during 92-93

When did people start using drum and bass as a genre name? Bearing in mind that it was also being used in a different context to describe reggae and rare groove.

I mentioned those dates to give a rough idea of the sonics, TBH, I dont see why jungle is any less relevant a tag than D+B for the vast majority of music made during those years.

What you got to remember is that jungle started out whilst the music was still 'hardcore', and that drum & bass was an evolution of that. So jungle was always really the subset.

The first reference to 'drum & bass' I remember seeing was in a Criminal Minds interview in 1992 in Ravescene fanzine, talking about their Re-Baptised By Dub EP

In more general it was probably the start of 1993, when the music started being labeled in Blackmarket as 'hardcore drum & bass' that I remember it getting used. The problem was what hardcore started becoming bore very little resemblence to what hardcore was originally, so it needed a new term. Noone knew where the music was going.

I think we knew drum & bass was going to be a recognisable form when tracks such as LTJ Bukem 'Demons Theme', Lemon D 'Something I Feel' & FBD Project 'The Core' started appearing - it was not just that they were amens, but something else somehow different about them...

(that's Toxic Rhythms, not Something I Feel... there was no label scan on that vid)

Now all through this you had 'junglism', or 'hardcore junglist', developing as a style within this. A good example to give would be the Good, 2 Bad & Hugly stuff.

Kool FM played a massive part in developing this particular style. As the tunes began to get faster and more 'kinetic', so the tunes started getting simply known as 'junglist' e.g. Noise Factory 'Generation X EP'. This would be mid-summer 1993. Then, and probably thanks to M Beat more than anyone else, who stylised & stripped down the form, did what we know as 'jungle' finally arrive.

So, re. drum & bass:
somewhere in the latter half of 1992 the term must have taken on mutual usage, I don't know where/how. Someone else will have to answer that. An early record I have found with the term is this one http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/vice_versa/vvrrs001/. Of course, drum & bass was originally a term for reggae dubwise from the 70's, but you already mentioned that...

Roo Stercogburn Wrote:Crap, I'm out of popcorn. Can people hold off posting any more until I get back from the shop?

Hahaha did take a day for this thread to really get rolling. i prefer to snack on hummus.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bandcamp: Drum 'N' Bass & other music recommendations Spectraz 177 150,536 10th February 2024, 00:31
Last Post: Statto
  Hip Hop + Drum & Bass done well Catastrophe 58 41,341 9th September 2023, 02:02
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Drum and bass on Mastermind Statto 1 1,536 10th March 2022, 16:09
Last Post: girth_maul
Smile Blind Test // 90s Drum 'n' Bass / Jungle (Electronic Beats TV) Spectraz 8 6,320 15th October 2020, 21:12
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Drum & Bass: The Movement - The D&B Documentary Statto 6 6,475 22nd August 2020, 21:32
Last Post: DJ ML