Pop music & Pop beats...

25 Replies, 16182 Views

Have you guys heard this?

I have some thoughts to share.

1) over the past month or two, I noticed I was hearing actual garage sounds & beats from a commercial radio station being played over the sound system of a burger joint I was dining at. In NA, that is new. garage never broke here, garage was never top 40 pop music in NA like it was in the UK 20 years ago. you can now hear garage style beats on commercial radio here, i'm sure thanks to the commercial appeal of dubstep & edm exposure over the past few years. that took a looong time to happen. and, in NA, its happening now. its strange, but fitting.

2) I never liked Skrillex, Diplo is whatevs, but this collab is kinda fab.

3) just a couple months ago, a coworker was listening to Justin Bieber. it shocked me, because it was so random, and she didn't seem like the type. I laughed it off, as you would, cuz Bieber sucks right? right? then I listened, really listened after a bit, and... I came to realize, dude can sing. he's a good singer. still a douche, but.. he can sing. it sort of changed my initial opinion of Justing Bieber right there. I publicly & vocally stated out loud that "wow, he can sing". crazy huh? he's still a total idiot tho. lol

4) this tune is garage, made by Skrillex, and Bieber, with Diplo cosigning. its like... 10 year old kids in NA now know what garage is. 20 years later.

5) I like this tune. yes you heard me. guaranteed there is and will be more horrible remixes of this, but, i don't mind it this version.

6) its pop music right?

Mary J. Blige from her "London Sessions" lp released this past November, 2014

"Nobody But You" was produced by Mj Cole, I love that joint. a couple of the other 4/4 joints aren't bad too.

You are touching a few interesting aspects here. Myself, I am not an "underground dogmatic" meaning I am supposed to hate everything "successful" or mainstream just because it is successful (though in my teens I was for a while). There has always been stuff in the (sales) charts that I quite liked, and there still is. for instance, I freely admit I like Lorde's "Royals" or Pharell Williams' "Happy". On the other hand tho, there are mainstream acts I cannot stomach at all. Many *Bling* hip hop "Artists" among that "noGo" list (Nelly, Beyonce) or U2 or Madonna. No matter how catchy/well-done admitteldy some of their songs are, the overall cunt-factor of those people just outweighs any musical appeal.

However, I don't know much about today's sale-charts, I rarely listen to daytime radio. I got a satellite dish, however watch TV very rarely, and when I do, it's no music televison (I dunno even if MTV still exists, I guess it does there's a few news bits bout "MTV awards" I seem to catch every now an then...)

That some "underground" sounds trickle into the mainstream at one point is a fine tradition. I remember very wellwhen starting in 1995/96, you'd have jungle-esque rhythms in commercials and pop-songs etc all of a sudden. Same with dub- or rather, Brostep these days.
Music critic for the Tally Ho
^^ imo, & for me personally, depending on your personal angle of course, I think its a natural inclination for some dj's to listen to everything, or to keep an occasional eye on other sounds & styles that are happening around you. I sort of see it as a hip-hop aesthetic, where you hear the funk, the old skool, the disco, the commercial, the rnb, the street angle aka "the hardcore", the crossovers, the pop side of it, the club side of it, vs the "mixtape" side of it. you know what i mean? sounds & diverse styles end up in the mix, no matter what genre you might be keen on. I've always been attentive to what else is out there @ any given time. and I think from years of djing, I'm still in tuned to that inclination, even when I've stopped djing. I always have to hear what's going on. to be aware of pop culture to a point. its everywhere right? even more so now.

OMG.. i publicly bigged up a Justin Bieber tune on SC!!! gasp! lol I give dude props on his voice after really listening for the first time as mentioned - dude always has corny lyrics of course, but the Diplo Skrillex tune is aiight. i don't mind it at all. its pop music. no harm done. i post metal & shit in other threads, and then I also big up a Justin Bieber tune. dichotomy or what? LOL.

I honestly do listen to everything. its the music nerd in me. Smile

i never thought i'd big up a Skrillex tune either. lol. there ya go.
Take Mariah Carey for example.

love or hate her, I actually sort of missed out on most of commercial musics of the 90's, and early 2000's, because I was soooo enamoured with dnb, techno, & djing. Mariah Carey has always been around, the hits prove themselves.

a couple weeks ago, I heard one of her early 90's tunes in the car, and SHIT.. it sounded great!! the sounds used, the vocals, the funk, the vibes. it was a really well produced track! I remember running to the comp to google the producers - Puff Daddy, Q-tip. for a Sean Combs tune, I've always been aware of his production presence, but to hear it decades later in a Mariah Carey tune, it all made sense. I could see why that era of Mariah's tunes were hits! Its honestly some very well produced music. I was never like that before, being blinkered into dnb records in the 90's and such. its an era of pop music i totally missed out on.

makes you think. and yes, i think Mariah Carey's "Honey" is an incredibly well produced song. It sounds great in the car. ha. Smile once again, hence this thread. pop beats!

the Lenzman Alicia Keys dnb remix from a few years ago.

I first heard it in a Random Movement podcast. its a great remix. that vocal breakdown is amazing. great job. sultry. very.

Aaliyah all day of course.

this Danny Daze & Young Edits house remix from a couple years ago is ill. soooo good. love it. still. Lovesmilie

I've been hearing bits of this over this past summer.

Enjoying & feeling the Tink stuff lately. Gets in your head.

I'd throw this on the player for sure.  I like her angle, giving a different delivery over trap beats & such.

Tracklist

01. Tink - I Like (0:00)
02. Tink - H20 (3:39)
03. Tink - Very Very (7:35)
04. Tink - Jupiter (10:22 )
05. Tink - L. Tink -E. Tink -A. Tink -S. Tink -H (13:28  ) (L.E.A.S.H)
06. Tink - There's Somebody Else (15:46)
07. Tink - Stripclub (18:42 )
08. Tink - Medicine Interlude (21:59)
09. Tink - Route 42 To San Fran (23:51)
10. Tink - Afterparty (27:28 )

Twothumbs
^^ yes! Smile

Tink.. feeling it.

(13th March 2015, 01:57)+ToRMeNT+ Wrote: Aaliyah all day of course.  

this Danny Daze & Young Edits house remix from a couple years ago is ill.   soooo good.  love it. still. Lovesmilie

I mean.. simply by coincidence 

AND YES.. i approve.  

Have you heard this?

listen.

reacquainting myself with the Bieber "Purpose" lp again today.  It has been a few weeks since I listened to it.

one of my fave releases of 2015. the production is amazing in places. When I first heard the record, I dissected the lp as a dance release, production alone. Apart from Diplo, Skrillex, other production names on the lp include Axident, Blood, The Audibles, Soundz etc. Curious to check out other stuff from said producers. The mix of the atmos, beats, pop, R&B, and the voice throughout the Bieber lp, good call.  

Jersey club mon IMarkkeyz

catch that Michael Jackson edit   Xyxthumbs

Bonzai - Ireland, UK

get to know her. good stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/b_o_n_z_a_i
Bonzai, feeling it. very much so. Smile

These days, its about production. And what gets speakers bumpin. An evolution happened, and we all witnessed it.

dubstep, "bass music", crunk.. trap, etc. etc. Pop production evolves, and I'm paying attention to it. Its interesting what crosses over. Dance music,electronic beats,atmosphere, hip-hop, soul, whatever. Anything is game. I like that.

Milanese is pop music. I always thought that. Smile

Listening to the latest Tink - "Winter's Diary 4" mixtape (August, 2016) as I post.

It is great!   Do it. Xyxthumbs    

Tink's "Think Tink" debut studio lp supposedly dropping October 30, 2016, via Timbaland / Mosley Music Group.   

dl link: http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/...

TRACKLIST:
1. 0:00 Lime Light
2. 1:54 All Falls Down
3. 5:21 Show It
4. 8:55 Be Single (Interlude)
5. 11:24 Aquafina
6. 14:57 Surprizes
7. 18:56 Stay On It (Feat. Lil Durk)
8. 21:45 Your Side
9. 25:23 Nothing Else Matters 2
10. 28:45 MVP
11. 31:49 Real Upgrade
12. 35:15 What Is Real
13. 38:12 Modern Wave
14. 40:37 Pullin Up (Interlude)
15. 42:41 Blood Sweat Tears

that Flume ish is kinda crazy. Infinity Infinity Infinity

Lance Skiiiwalker (Chicago, IL / Los Angeles, CA) - "Introverted Intuition" lp, October 2016

great listen! Smile

1. Lance Skiiiwalker - Forbidden Fruit (00:00)
2. Lance Skiiiwalker - ((Ni)) Radio (2:34)
3. Lance Skiiiwalker - Could It Be (3:49)
4. Lance Skiiiwalker - Speed (6:54)
5. Lance Skiiiwalker - Stockholm (Ft. Michael Anthony) (9:34)
6. Lance Skiiiwalker - Sound (13:29)
7. Lance Skiiiwalker - All Stops (15:29)
8. Lance Skiiiwalker - Skit / Her Song (18:14)
9. Lance Skiiiwalker - Attraction (20:19)
10. Lance Skiiiwalker - Toaster (Ft. ScHoolboy Q) (22:59)
11. Lance Skiiiwalker - Advantage (24:44)
12. Lance Skiiiwalker - Lover's Lane (28:24)
13. Lance Skiiiwalker - Reality (31:09)
FKA Twigs newest stuff pretty dreamy and opinely pigmented.
introverted intuition eh...digging that name. it creates visions of poetic fortitude and robust externalisation.
WOW

ABRA. Fuckin brilliant!

http://www.truepanther.com/releases/abra-princess/

https://darkwaveduchess.bandcamp.com/album/blq-velvet

[Image: TRUE-123_Abra_Princess_PA-1.jpg]
Seriously.. Abra can get it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RELEASE Various ‎– Uneven Paths: Deviant Pop From Europe 1980-1991 firefinga 0 1,660 25th April 2018, 10:34
Last Post: firefinga
  RELEASE Iggy Pop Album "Post Pop Depression" firefinga 0 1,941 23rd February 2016, 20:54
  One for Statto: The Pop Group "Citizen Zombie" firefinga 5 4,688 6th June 2015, 20:55
Last Post: Muttley
  BBC Music John Peel Lecture - Iggy Pop's Keynote Speech Roo Stercogburn 3 3,883 7th December 2014, 23:03
  [Article] About Drip.FM music label subscription service (Sub Pop etc) Muttley 0 1,710 17th July 2014, 16:43
Last Post: Muttley