Stop being a dick k?

4 Replies, 2159 Views

So..  I work this new kid who just started within the past week. Dopey looking skinny dude, who long boards, and wears these really beat up turquoise high top skate shoes, with serious holes in the toes. First thing I thought to myself when I saw his shoes was ".. with his first pay cheque, dude NEEDS to buy some new kicks, those things should go to the trash!"   But then I thought to myself, I was like that in younger days, literally wearing shoes until they fell apart, holes in the sole, not giving a fuck but still making due, ya know?  He has a lot of character, he's outgoing, and doesn't come across as a boring kid. I broke the ice by making weed jokes, cuz that's what the kids are into these days right? I was correct, and he smokes, and laughed at my sarcastic drug references. I told him he should skip the morning weed breakfast before coming to work, keeping sharp, heh. He laughed. 

He likes to sing, to himself out loud, and sometimes he'll sing something and I'll think "..dude has a good  voice actually", but I never tell him that. I notice some of the stuff he sings out loud to himself are rap tunes, and he throws in the whole swagger while he recites the lines. I thought it was cute. I just kept thinking about his beat up skate shoes, and him rapping to himself. Odd kid. 

I took it upon myself to ask him what he was singing. I asked him as a joke ".What are you singing? Are you singing Drake tunes??"  " Do you listen to Future??"  The sarcastic ass that I am, my question sort of caught him off guard. He said he's listens to a lot of different stuff, but liked a lot of hip-hop. I asked him if he listens to trap, and then he mentioned he was an aspiring hip-hop artist. Have you ever met people like that? People into hip-hop come from all shades, sometimes you never know they are into the music, or the culture, simply based upon appearance, which is a stereotype anyway right? Hip-hop is as normal as The Beatles.. but sometimes it still catches me off guard as to meeting the unlikeliest person who might be down with a specific genre of music, or subculture from first impression and appearance. Hip-hop heads look like everything and anything. Chameleons. heh. I need to keep that in mind.  Wink

This dopey skinny kid with busted up turquoise skate shoes that should be thrown in the trash is telling me what inspires him. Why he sings out loud. Hip-hop. It makes him happy. I'll give him that. I should give him that. 

It makes me think.. why am I being a dick? Why am I judging him based upon his age, his busted up skate shoes, his dopey appearance and his rapping to himself whenever he sees fit?  Its all good. I could be talking to him about music, I can be talking to him about trap. I was going to ask him if he listens to Allan Kingdom, or El-P, Murs, Felt, or ask him what his fave turntablists are, and how much I prefer a back to basics, turntablist mixtape more than anything. I was going to ask him if he has ever listened to industrial style beats, and maybe even tell him to go check out some Scorn, or old Techno Animal to start, and and... but I didn't. I stay silent. For now. 

It makes me think, just because we are older, and a generation or two difference in music nerd-isms, doesn't mean we have supremacy over kids just getting into music. Why kill or judge their dream, ya know? Who am I?  I'm old, its awkward that I can talk trap to a kid right out of high school, but I might look like the clown to them. For all I know, kids might be thinking ".. why is this old fucker talking to me about music?? Shouldn't he have grown up by now??"  Do you know what I mean? All generations value the 808's, its all good. 

I realize that as of this morning, I'll stop being a dick. Kids dream too. I was there at their age. With holes in my skate shoes. Pass on a mixtape, not the judgement. I'll try grow up a bit too. Its a learning process. Change of habit. We should all do that.

This happened yesterday btw.  Cheers.
It's not an age thing with me. I just think most people's taste in music is shit.

Kingstatto
Hahaha
good post though Xyxthumbs
Yeah, good post, and Statto's reply is even better Hahaha

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEWS RIP Dick Dale firefinga 0 880 18th March 2019, 09:36
Last Post: firefinga
  If you buy vinyl records you're a dick Sir Loris of Crowthorne 21 4,363 11th September 2008, 05:15
Last Post: Ornette
  Which one's your dick? [semi-NSFW] fanu 8 2,552 27th June 2007, 19:53
Last Post: Statto
  [VIDEO] Justin Timberlake SNL Dec 16th "My Dick In a Box" Beebe 11 4,091 29th January 2007, 02:08
Last Post: Lephrenic
  dick cheney shoots hunter dj_obiwan 6 1,416 13th February 2006, 19:28
Last Post: 8bits