Etherwood - In Stillness

13 Replies, 4500 Views

New dnb of the liquid and rolling kind from this Finnish act, first recommended by Code of Subtle Audio as an act that switched from making minimal dubstep. It's excellent up to track six on CD at least. Just released on Med School label. Really quite beautiful - check this out if you want to.
I guess because people rarely use music forums these days even Conor hasn't seen this thread...
Sixth track playing
So so good
Simple piano figure
Oxygen 
Love
Integrity
Interest
Buoyancy
Creative
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...full+album

^Audio streams by the dozen right there.
Interested to hear the full album mix Jed Crouch has done.

Why is this album interesting?

It's subversive, mostly - it doesn't try and be loud, or big room, or au fait; it plainly exists as "good" material, designed to keep the head nodding regardless if your feet are moving or not.

What do I like most about it?

Hard to say amongst what I've already said: maybe if I just say it "lifts I" and that's enough to explain it. Yes, that's it, it's cathartic, exploratory, ingenious, enthused but not overwrought, magical.

What sort of elements are you likely to hear besides rolling liquid beats?

Pianos, guitars, played in simple loops; piano music of the Enosification variety, mixed with a swathe of real sounding strings that are not over-emphasised. And decent vocal accompaniment.

Why should you care about Etherwood's music?

Come on guys, although I've heard it and you haven't until now, I'm not bigging up myself - the musicians and programmers are the people who have done the work here. I'm just telling you of it.

So....chhhheck chh chheck it oot Teef
It's very much like the first wave of Hospital Records in the 1990s when they were a jazz dnb label. Or rather, liquid jazz as it was then. The two styles conflagrated like humble bedfellows sharing a joint and the atmosphere here - persuasive romance - befits that kind of criterion.

Of course, too, I'm enjoying Etherwood because it's actually accessible, in the way of being accessible in an old school kind of way, not really shoe shine polished. I miss that, the general nascent period of drum'n'bass that Polar did so well, which then became evaporated by the supposed need to compress everything until an inch of its life. I still don't really understand why that happened. Excesses, maybe.
okay I'll check it later Kisskiss
Thanks Wave Kingstatto :halo: :abe:
sorry, I don't like it at all

Fauxpas
It's not a problem for me if it's not a problem for you.
And anyway, "I" is artificial intelligence - a broken computer run on subjectivity. It's a shame this happened to common diction. But then, life is partially virtual reality. Because we are all exponents of God particle.

I think it's a really good release, and I stand by my opinions.
Subversion is not an aesthetic. That's being a mod.
(5th April 2018, 09:04)Muttley Wrote: It's not a problem for me if it's not a problem for you.

Hugs
Hugs
At least Statto expresses dislike out of dislike, not how trendy some music sounds
well, checked it some time go and it's not my cup of tea at all. Different strokes for different folks Smile