Review a tune in Retrospect

Anything. 

You heard it before. Maybe 20+ years ago? What do you think of it now?  Initial thoughts, let it all out. 

It is almost 11pm on a cold Sunday night.  I'm listening to Dillinja "Grimey". Random as hell, but that's the point here. 

It is mad farty.  I'm sure it sounds weirder pitched down. Were the vinyl presses even any good?  V Recordings huh? 

I never owned the tune... I don't think anyway. It was a tune I'd hear in dnbarena sets.  I never went out much to clubs (alcohol wasn't my thing), so whenever local dj's were dropping this and skanking like mad, I was never witness to.  Do people play this out now?  Would YOU play this out now if dj-ing is still your bag?   For old farts, Dillinja has had pinnacle tunes and whatnot, was this one of them? I'm not sure. But people like dumb shit. Why over think it?  "Grimey" sounds like a colonoscopy with less funk, yet still smells hella funky, ya get me?  There was a time we used to listen to this.  I wouldn't now. 

Thank you.

Ok, I never owned "The Grimey e.p", given the other tunes on the release.   

What was up with this tune?  Weird synth tinkles, tech step breaks, g-funkish melodies. "Pluto" has some swing to it, but meanders. "Take My Life", disconnected vocal sample, it could have been any lyric really. 2002 era, factory Dillinja bass stab preset in effect. Would kids find this "edgy" today?  Maybe not. Jump up is many things these days.  In the end, I clearly wasn't missing out on any of "The Grimey" e.p.   

Noted.

"Bass is stronger than your meds".

Something I missed at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsdS6kuqqHs

For me this is one of the best tunes Dom ever made. It's in the same vein as Ed Rush tracks of the time, such as Subway and Skylab, which Dom engineered. While I definitely like those (especially Subway), I think Darkness is even better. It's almost Dom showing what those tracks might have sounded like if he'd just done them by himself. (Whereas Ed Rush's best work back then was with Nico on the desk.)

(11th November 2019, 10:01)Muttley Wrote: "Bass is stronger than your meds".

well played.   Lol Applause  Cheers Lighter

(11th November 2019, 10:24)Statto Wrote: Something I missed at the time...

For me this is one of the best tunes Dom ever made. It's in the same vein as Ed Rush tracks of the time, such as Subway and Skylab, which Dom engineered. While I definitely like those (especially Subway), I think Darkness is even better. It's almost Dom showing what those tracks might have sounded like if he'd just done them by himself. (Whereas Ed Rush's best work back then was with Nico on the desk.)

^^ I concur. I don't recall hearing that tune locally, but given the Dom era, all the elements are there for sure. I'd prefer a bit more distortion, but I was a breakcore casuality.  Forgive me. Oops ha. 
Good tune tho, classic Darkness for sure.  Yes

Speaking of which.. random tangents encouraged in this thread ok? 

Venetian Snares. 

I don't own many of the albums. I do have some Planet Mu vinyl stuff still, "Doll Doll Doll" & "printf< Shiver in Eternal Darkness" on cd.  I don't listen to much of it now. While I still hold value to the Snares perspective in places, Shiver in Eternal Darkness is a release I still like - if only for the Star Wars samples used, and the rawness of the productions. It is really disjointed - as par the course - yet has a constant cohesion in darkness for sure, and Star Wars.  It is perhaps a simpler Snares time, and I like how there are nuances of rave in there, which makes it an identifiable hardcore release in purpose, to my ears at least.  "Salt" is a great opener, approved for us former gothic types. lol.  These days, it is really interesting to see Venetian Snares referenced by newer generations if & when. 

True story - as a manager, I once hired this girl from Halifax, Canada to join my staff. She was cool, played celtic fiddle in punkish, free form type bands, and later got into axe throwing - no joke.  We'd talk about music lots, and one day she started telling me how crazy and great Venetian Snares was! She reveled in the Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole release, as if it was her own, quirky secret. She loved it.  I never told her I was once a doomed breakcore dj with no future.  I don't recall making recommendations for her to listen to, but she loved Dropkick Murphys too, which I can't get behind, at all. I kept it all to myself tho - like how I was once very good friends with Dropkick Murphy's former bagpipe player in high school, but I still can't stand his band. I haven't seen the dude in decades, and I doubt he fathoms of my own existence, but I'm sure we'd get along fine these days. But given the chance, would I tell him that in person??   Chin Fauxpas  Regardless, I couldn't bring myself to tell my axe throwing employee these things. 

I digress.

However random inspirations come and go, I still do own this album on cd. I won't listen to it, but I'll stream the lp on occasion to mashup di place, like right now. I don't listen to The Boredoms much either, but I like some of their stuff. 

"...my grandmother used to tell me, that we all have a black dog and a white dog inside of us. The one you feed the most eventually eats the other one... "

0:00 salt
5:03 hours
8:08 intense demon attacks
12:10 cruel whole
18:35 suasive chess strategy
24:19 aqap
30:16 mouth
38:01 c8 diversity
43:27 fire is the devil
49:50 molting
54:06 punishing the atoms
59:42 cruel whole (abelcain remix)

Possibly Related Threads…
  Jungle Syndicate Digital 002 - Scape: Retrospect EP - Out Now! Jungle Syndicate 11 2,885 19th June 2013, 11:47
Last Post: Jungle Syndicate
  Jungle Syndicate Digital 002 - Scape: Retrospect EP - Out May 27th Jungle Syndicate 1 914 15th May 2013, 19:42
Last Post: Code
  Fracture & Neptune - Retrospect LP UK/EU tour Sept / Oct booking now... Astrophonica 0 661 12th July 2011, 14:05
Last Post: Astrophonica
  Fracture & Neptune - 'Retrospect LP' out 30th May. Full details here, including comp. Astrophonica 18 4,396 7th June 2011, 13:02
Last Post: clinton
  Fracture & Neptune - 'Retrospect' LP launch on D&BTV Tonight F&N/LOXY/MARK SYSTEM Astrophonica 8 2,137 26th May 2011, 13:15
Last Post: DjTiesticles