to bigot or not to bigot?
big ol' bigots
0%
happy go lucky helpful people
0%
0 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Do You think that the big boys are ignorant bigots?

37 Replies, 6256 Views

well?

for me most of them are like cartoon characters rather than ignorant bigots, but after making dnb for god knows how many years and have built up some kind of a market we still consistently get no support from any of the "boys".

what are they scared of?

is our music just shit?

why have they become so narrow minded or have they been that way all along?

where they ever cutting edge at all or just right place in the right time type of people?

where do you think that they can take dnb with their current attitudes?

DISCUSS...
mmmm i will have to (glen) ponder my response for a little while and gather my thoughts.
blue Wrote:where do you think that they can take dnb with their current attitudes?

discuss...

further down the spiral into their deep hole of depravity Hypno Hypno Hypno

why would selfish people want to relinquish any of their power?
if they had brains, they might be dangerous...............
take away saddam husseins brains and you're left with a d&b dj.....

:evilgrinb
scope Wrote:take away saddam husseins brains and you're left with a d&b dj.....

Can I have that for my sig? Wink

I read an interview with a big name producer/dj the other day, and I couldn't help but laugh because he talked about the "diversity" in today's sets and how you could play anything etc. WTF? Roll
Some of em are genuinly nice people who have some sort of respect for what you are trying to do as being beneficial towards the scene,some of em are just on the take 24/7 and dont really care as long as they get something out of it that fits the mindset of a big name. I could name a few but I wont

Underground,my arse
I think that alot of people who have been around for a while fear change and are scared to try something new ..... they think that if they start playing these new tunes that they might go down in people's estimations so they stick with other labels like RAM who churn out very similar sounds constantly (IMO)
i sometimes find, its more the followers who stick to what they know, cause they fear to do anything the big ones might deem uncool. dj's have acquired a much greater cult-status than is healthy, hence the blind/deaf and unthoughtful mass of unmusical fans.
in general, the real andy c is still leagues above his admirers-cum-dj's. from time to time, a night with a big name can be very exhilarating and enjoyable. if i wanna go out and simply have fun i'll check them out and see whats new in their box.
i was positively surprised a few times already by quite varied selections i didn't hope to expect. i'll decline to comment on the warm-up dj's though...

ok, i haven't heard any heavyweights for a long time and things might have gone from bad to worse in the meantime.

i therefor totally agree that its true. the main direction is to avoid anything experimental, with the exception of the stuff that was originally daring and even new (for ex: how u make me feel and lets face it, bodyrock too in a way) but then went on to become a classic or even genre-defining tune. i still find the odd tune on the popular labels which has a strong sense of exploring new ground, but the overall conformity of stale noise is very frustrating indeed.

i believe it has a lot to do with entering the dubplate-circuit. theres been too many names to mention, that have gone from innovative to at least moderately stale not long after their breakthrough (digital, klute, total science). maybe its media pressure, maybe its the discovery that most people in clubs lack the sense of rhythm which a producer can develop in his studio.

theres also those who claim to having to conform to popular taste in order to maintain the life of their labels. i'm a bit skeptic on that one and have yet to hear more who went from innovation to mainstream and back again (like for instance johnny l). others declare openly that they're "rinsin it" at the mo (qoute total science), cause their sick of getting evicted or sumtin. fair enough, but once you've got the jag in the garage you could be polite and remember to make some music for the serious bunch. :lame

anyway, as long as the countermovement remains strong, which it obviously does, one can always pride himself with being the true underground.. Twisted
on a positive note, i just got hold of a new tune by ASC on offshore and i fucking love it! same goes for the new paradox stuff on the same label or some new breakbeat science releases by orion and angel zero. streetbeats itself has always been a source for high quality surprising and daring stuff (SB 19 has been in my box for two years straight), and in that whole region there are numerous new labels coming up and getting stronger. if general recordsales hadn't dropped so drastically, distributors wouldn't be so anxious to take on new labels and we'd hear even more new music, trust me...
until that situation hopefully improves, its a matter of internal support among those who go their own ways.
all those new labels have dj's behind them who want to support their own stuff, and don't give a damn if their shit's getting airplay by fabio or rider, cause they do it themselves. if it still gets big, all the better, as long as they stick to their guns and keep the flag flying.
some producers even refuse to hand out their stuff to anyone whose name is in bigger print than the doorprice... an extreme example of scene-politics and dangerous for that ol' sucker named "PR" but nevertheless very encouraging.

i've come to the conclusion that there really is no use in lamenting the state of affairs when theres still good music coming your way. it may be hard for those who support it, to keep up with the industrialised methods of the big-buck-corporations, but damn, it's been underground ten years ago, so it should be well able to survive in the underground today.
salute the mentally deranged
I almost must add that i believe that all this mainstream success that D'n'B is currently seeing with the likes of LK and Shake Ur Body that people aren't prepared for the Blue's and Digital's of this world when they buy/listen to music.

There are so many types of DnB and it is probably the only type of music that is constantly evolving its always the pioneers who get forgetton you only have to look at people like Digital and Blue for examples of this constant change but its the people who mimic this new style that tend to get the credit.

Its frustating to see but what can we do apart from continue to but the records we like.
littleNemo Wrote:
scope Wrote:take away saddam husseins brains and you're left with a d&b dj.....

Can I have that for my sig? Wink

bien sur.....
manikular presents sum pointers....

1. far too many sheep in d&b... i know so many people who only like certain records and dj's etc. just becuase all their mates do too... what a sodding nightmare.

2. at least 80% of drum&bass fans have no taste.

3. the main events are too scared to experiment with new artists.... i.e. i know for a fact that certain MC's only get booked becuase of the revenue they generate in the sales of tape packs. same with DJ's... hellish..

4. f*ck it, stay true to yourself and the rewards will certainly come..

5. at least you guys can get a distribution deal *sobz* .

boooohhh yaaah!
what did Grooverider say when you took the obvious opportunity to ask him?

Borg Borg Borg
Statto Wrote:what did Grooverider say when you took the obvious opportunity to ask him?

Borg Borg Borg

probably "do you like my new sweater"?
Formula Inc. Wrote:
Statto Wrote:what did Grooverider say when you took the obvious opportunity to ask him?

Borg Borg Borg

probably "do you like my new sweater"?

it was one of the most pleasureble experiences of my life.
blue Wrote:
formula inc. Wrote:probably "do you like my new sweater"?

and was it a nice sweater then? Wave Wave
statto Wrote:
blue Wrote:

one of the best.......
Formula Inc. Wrote:manikular presents sum pointers....

1. far too many sheep in d&b... i know so many people who only like certain records and dj's etc. just becuase all their mates do too... what a sodding nightmare.

2. at least 80% of drum&bass fans have no taste.

3. the main events are too scared to experiment with new artists.... i.e. i know for a fact that certain MC's only get booked becuase of the revenue they generate in the sales of tape packs. same with DJ's... hellish..

4. f*ck it, stay true to yourself and the rewards will certainly come..

5. at least you guys can get a distribution deal *sobz* .

boooohhh yaaah!

agree 100%

Grin

physe.
Proof Of Life Project
L.A. Abstract Records
blue Wrote:
statto Wrote:
blue Wrote:

one of the best.......

was it pink with cut-off sleeves?? :mooner
salute the mentally deranged
unsung bitch Wrote:was it pink with cut-off sleeves?? :mooner

so that's where my sweater went... Rainbow
Statto Wrote:
unsung bitch Wrote:was it pink with cut-off sleeves?? :mooner

so that's where my sweater went... Rainbow

yeah it was ducky
this is likely an unpopular opinion, but i think the reason that more 'abstract' or 'intelligent' music doesn't get play is because it's unwilling to make compromises according to the needs of modern dancefloors...something that i feel is possible without completely throwing your artistic vision out the window. if you're willing to compromise a bit and think of workarounds, you can redefine your attempts to push the boundaries of music as attempts to push the boundaries of what's acceptable drum and bass in this day and age.

there's no reason you should force yourself to do anything for the sake of mass appeal, of course, unless it's something you've sought out to attain.

i think, though, the lack of music that tries to fit wild and crazy ideas into the parameters of dancefloor drum and bass is what's made the dancefloor (and, by proxy, the DJs) so happily numb in the first place; therefore, i think compromise in the short term could help to create an environment that will be more receptive to innovation. (is bodyrock, then, a step in the right direction?!?!??! TUNE IN TOMORROW)
scart ridge Wrote:there's no reason you should force yourself to do anything for the sake of mass appeal, of course, unless it's something you've sought out to attain.
)

absolutely.

i do actually enjoy mainstream Dnb when its done right....
scart ridge Wrote:if you're willing to compromise a bit and think of workarounds, you can redefine your attempts to push the boundaries of music as attempts to push the boundaries of what's acceptable drum and bass in this day and age.

"Conform to what?" Wink

I think the abstract /intelligent/whatever dnb is already in these boundaries. Most of the Tracks by e.g. Streetbeats, Inperspective, 720, Droppin' Science etc. aren't really that strange. A little bit leftfield, a bit more complex, but not really "totally far out". I really don't see why they shouldn't be acceptable for "modern dancefloors".
littleNemo Wrote:I think the abstract /intelligent/whatever dnb is already in these boundaries. Most of the Tracks by e.g. Streetbeats, Inperspective, 720, Droppin' Science etc. aren't really that strange. A little bit leftfield, a bit more complex, but not really "totally far out". I really don't see why they shouldn't be acceptable for "modern dancefloors".

that is actually what i believe at heart, but it doesnt seem to work like that in reality.

WHY IS THIS?
littleNemo Wrote:I think the abstract /intelligent/whatever dnb is already in these boundaries. Most of the Tracks by e.g. Streetbeats, Inperspective, 720, Droppin' Science etc. aren't really that strange. A little bit leftfield, a bit more complex, but not really "totally far out". I really don't see why they shouldn't be acceptable for "modern dancefloors".

i think it comes down to the fact that they lack some of the 'necessary evils' - as examples, track structure with enough foreshadowing for DJs and dancers alike, breakdowns that account for the fact (whether in their length or in their composition) that the attention span of a crowd holds up way better when there are beats to dance to, vibes that aren't too subtle for the 'average' listener to get their head around, drumwork with cuts and slices in 'all the right places' rather than drumwork made to do your head in...the thing that sucks is that a lot of these things can indeed be undesirable, and i'd totally go off if someone dropped a paradox workout on the dancefloor, but i understand now that i'm in the minority.

i also understand now that it's not impossible to have depth, complexity, and different vibes even in the context of the above rules...it's just far more of a challenge (struggle?)

...and in all honesty, the future might prove me completely and thoroughly wrong...though i try not to think about that
by the way i and we dont actually think any of the big boys are ignorant bigots..............

Roll

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old Boys Resurgence Düffah 90 41,166 27th February 2020, 17:20
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Trailer park boys (UK) dsp 0 2,513 10th June 2015, 11:47
Last Post: dsp
  The Gender Revolution For Boys Statto 3 3,165 16th August 2012, 13:34
Last Post: widzhit
  This ones going out to all you rude boys... B 1 1,726 6th January 2008, 18:50
Last Post: Sir Loris of Crowthorne
  trailer park boys Jason oS 25 9,805 18th November 2007, 16:48