What track symbolises everything you like about dnb?

93 Replies, 21072 Views

To off set the negative thread, post here a track that would sum up your love affair with dnb, reasons are always welcome to.

oh and when you have a spare 5 mins please pop over to http://www.phonic-live.com, we have a ratings system for all the unsigned talent put up there and if you could put up a few votes for ones you like that would be swell, I want a FIGHT FOR NUMBER 1 DAMNIT! Smile
Omni Trio - Thru the vibe (2 on 1)

Never been surpassed - the essence of the ruff with the smooth, manic drums, heavy bass, uplifting yet slightly despondent vocal (tail end of hardcore and all that) astounding strings...

Lovesmilie
Loadsa possible choices but 2 spring to mind:

Rufige Kru - Fury - hardcore nastiness balanced with orchestral calm!

Goldie - What You Won't Do For Love (Left Hand Man Mix) - so many fluid changes, stops , starts and what not, yet it flows throughout perfectly...
Leviticus - the burial

damn i could be here all day so ill pick this one:

Pum pum mus smoke ganga - ganja records

(which i no longer have in my possession..... Naptha! Spank )
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
Hmmmmmm. Very tricky - but good thread.

The only one I can think of (predictably) would be Krystaline - Paradox and D.M.R.....

It has the minimal bass, 'melodic' drums (the first 16 bars are an INCREDIBLE piece of musical drum programming - so nice to listen to and to play), the little piano sample he uses all over the place that is sooooooooo moody........

But the second section is where it is at. Just the drone that sounds like someone recording an air conditioning fan, the bass that sounds like it drops half a semitone and not even a full one when it plays different notes...... And the beat in that second half is simply stunning, one of the best beats ever made or played IMO. And when it goes on to the crash Lovesmilie

All in all a bleak, stark, cold, clinical, cinematic piece of work with beautiful drums. I love it.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
I still can't get enough of JMJ & Flytronix- In Too Deep it has some rolling rhythms and pounding subs as well as some excellent synthy interplay between the different sounds and a lilting groove with a space age edge. Pure class.
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
goldie - darkrider , one of my fav tunes ever (along with we are "e" (lenny d ice) and terminator) when i was 12 those 3 tunes were always playing
dsp Wrote:goldie - darkrider , one of my fav tunes ever (along with we are "e" (lenny d ice) and terminator) when i was 12 those 3 tunes were always playing
"the dark.... rider" Xyxthumbs
[Image: dsbanner.jpg]
teebone- try some slow shit...that whole ep was amasing...alaska and nuclus on good looking?
soundmurderer bad man, limb by limb, who wann seek war...pretty much his whole catalog
really feeling all the f&n shit ie colemanism!
intense on rugged vinyal forget the title
Hyper-on Experience "Lords of the Null Lines"

Foul Play "Being With You"

Engineers Without Fears "Spiritual Aura"

Tom & Jerry "Maximum Style"

Dillinja "Sovereign Melody"

Spirit "Spellbound"
Dillinja - 'Tear Down the Whole Place' Conqueror

the energy.. the drums... the atmospherics... the bass... everything.

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Rufige Kru - Kemistry - Synthetic

Beautiful strings, hardcore vibes, bespoke vocals in 1993 - just stunning really

Others worth mentioning....

Intense - First Contact - Vibez
Dillinja - Silver Blade - Prototype
Dope - Travelling - Good Looking
DJ Krust - Genetic Manipulation EP - V
Gwange and Spinback - Execution - Legendary Vol 1
Sounds of Life - Hidden Rooms - Cert 18
splash - babylon [the mix with the dogs barking] rolling percussion, shifting moods, exuberant good time vibes with a sinister vibe behind it.... not so much rough with the smooth as fun with the slightly scary and menacing.
...it's like a bloody LIBRARY out there!!! http://twitter.com/executivesteve
seba & Lo-tek "so long"

the way the amens creep in. stunning. the whole fuckng tune is so deep and beautiful.

lateley I've fallen in love with digital "get away"

so much soul. that bass is epic.

someone give me a copy quick, I missed the promos...!
i was going to say Thru The Vibe (2 on 1) or Babylon, but ... other than those two ...

foul play - the stepper (remix)

starts innocently enough, but the opening breaks keep expanding into downright hypnotic proportions. then the amen drops, switching between channels like it's stalking you! this one shows how drums can be melodic, tactile, AND insanely visceral, all in the first three minutes or so.
CYGNUS 26 Wrote:DJ Krust - Genetic Manipulation EP - V
Full Cycle.
kidkut Wrote:what track symbolises everything you like about dnb?

everything i like? Icon_eek

my favourite dnb track is klute - leo 9

but i wouldn't say that symbolises everything i like
it's also more techno with breaks than dnb

maybe droppin science vol.2
or ed rush - guncheck

Falcon
I would have to agree with the Engineers without Fears - Spiritual Aura , what an amazing breakdown.

But also would have to say Omni Trio - Renegade Snares
Dark Metal remix by Source Direct, shit any tune by Source Direct Grin
this statement is for the time being as i'm in a Source Direct mood at this moment,
B Wrote:Leviticus - the burial

damn i could be here all day so ill pick this one:

Pum pum mus smoke ganga - ganja records

(which i no longer have in my possession..... Naptha! Spank )

Haha i never saw this one , I have both pum pum mus smoke ganja is def a quality track, i got mine directly from hype on a white label , when i was 16 at a rave. i treasure that record,

burial was a good one too i did not know at the time that optical engineer'd that. I think i need to go through my collection when i get home and bust out some 93 - 96 tunes, i could do a mix but it would just show how bad my mixing is. so many tunes people have mentioned on this thread have been untouched for years collecting dust .
i think a 2hr set could barely have all the vibes that i like on drum & bass. barely.
spalsh-babylon (trace remix)
wamdue project - lemur

the first dnb tune i ever heard i think

its got dreamy atmospherics, really nice break work, rainforest sounds, deep rolling 808 bass, fantastic production
erbanta Wrote:i think a 2hr set could barely have all the vibes that i like on drum & bass. barely.

Same here, I could name some of my favourite tunes (Kosmos - Tighten Up, MIST - How You Make Me Feel, Paradox - Odd Soul to name but three), but all those three tunes have completely different vibes, it's impossible to pin down one track that sums it all up. Maybe I'm just a musical retard....
[Image: pezholiodoa.gif]

batfink Wrote:bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK NORK NORK bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK bwabba NORK.
A few tracks exemplify what good dnb is to me:

Brown Paper Bag. This track still sounds fresh to me...a sweet dirty break, an amazing bassline, cool blips and bleeps. The vocal version rules too.

Circles. Such a fantastic tune...nothing more needs to be said.

Satified. Ok, so this is quite recent and maybe cheesey by Photek standards, but fuck it...it has nothing I don't love. A great beat, a fantastic bassline and no wimpy ass breakdown. It's a damn good thing.

There's more, but those three stand out at the moment.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timeline 92-97 DnB Project (Free Album Including Unreleased Manix Track) TwoHungryGhosts 14 4,540 4th May 2012, 22:43
Last Post: TwoHungryGhosts
  Mangle teh dnb track titles :teef: fanu 32 6,623 9th April 2011, 06:50
Last Post: noisemonkey
  The worst dnb track ever? Naphta 39 3,224 29th January 2009, 15:22
Last Post: kalu
  The Secret of a Good DnB track? Mantis2K 92 11,611 7th April 2008, 15:08
Last Post: socialengineer
  Track ID - non dnb (jazzy-ish) arqtic 11 971 27th July 2006, 16:46
Last Post: Sir Loris of Crowthorne