Subvert Central
Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - Printable Version

+- Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? (/thread-38743.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - Shiva - 2nd October 2007

Well?

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - fanu - 2nd October 2007

dnb got more balls and makes me feel like daaamn i wanna brock out to this shit!

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - rondema - 2nd October 2007

dupstep is pants, dnb less so in some cases :P

http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28095

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - DJFracture - 2nd October 2007

No drawn out intros for a start! Although i do love a good old fashioned self indulgent D+B intro.

Silly question tho. I mean, what makes the core essence of any UK born electronic dance music different? not much. We go to clubs, smoke weed, drink beer and skank out. Big tings. Nothing long, fam

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - illnoir - 2nd October 2007

well, its a different genre, cant you hear it Baffled dubstep is not a mutated form of dnb...

i find it kinda groovier than dnb and better to dance to :P

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - Shiva - 2nd October 2007

DJFracture Wrote:Silly question tho. I mean, what makes the core essence of any UK born electronic dance music different? not much. We go to clubs, smoke weed, drink beer and skank out. Big tings. Nothing long, fam

My point exactly.

illnoir Wrote:dubstep is not a mutated form of dnb...

I'm not so sure.

IMO

Jungle/DnB -> UK Garage -> Grime -> Dub Step

All essentially the same.

UK Garage = Two step Garage with Jungle bassline
Grime = UK Garage were the MC becomes the part of the tunes, almost rap.
Dubstep = Grime without MCs/Slower breaks with Jungle bassline/Slow DnB?

Icon_question

awaits slating

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - devnull - 2nd October 2007

modern DNB = 200hz snare
dubstep = not so much

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - X Nation - 2nd October 2007

Shiva Wrote:
illnoir Wrote:dubstep is not a mutated form of dnb...

I'm not so sure.

IMO

Jungle/DnB -> UK Garage -> Grime -> Dub Step

All essentially the same.

UK Garage = Two step Garage with Jungle bassline
Grime = UK Garage were the MC becomes the part of the tunes, almost rap.
Dubstep = Grime without MCs/Slower breaks with Jungle bassline/Slow DnB?

Icon_question

awaits slating

What on earth are you on about, how loosely do your connections to eachother have to be to qualify as being "essentially the same".

they're all genres of dance music born out of the uk that's for sure, but by no means essentially the same.

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - fanu - 2nd October 2007

illnoir Wrote:i find it kinda groovier than dnb and better to dance to :P

maybe so, but it never makes me feel like i wanna dance Teef

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - Naphta - 2nd October 2007

According to this logic:

Disco = House = Techno = Hardcore = Jungle = DnB = UK Garage = Grime

Therefore:

Disco = Grime Lol

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - RhythmicNature - 2nd October 2007

Disco = Grime!

Yessssss!

Lolleatta Holloway B2B Grime MC!

sounds ruff!

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - RhythmicNature - 2nd October 2007

Actually nearly there if you got someone to MC over the Nubian Minds tune on Scattered Snares, but don't know where the vocals from.

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - droid - 2nd October 2007

The dynamics are totally different. Its walking skank music essentially. Much more chilled than jungle/d+b

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - noisemonkey - 2nd October 2007

one has stupid wobbly basslines and the other one is.... oh , hang on a minute.. Teef

noisemonkey Wrote:one has stupid wobbly basslines and the other one is.... oh , hang on a minute.. Teef

Hahaha

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - Slothrop - 2nd October 2007

noisemonkey Wrote:one has stupid wobbly basslines and the other one is.... oh , hang on a minute.. Teef
Hahaha

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - tyler - 2nd October 2007

devnull Wrote:modern DNB = 200hz snare
dubstep = not so much

Hahaha

i think the basslines in dubstep tend to be at the same tempo as the break whereas in dnb its usually two bars so that it isnt ultimate 180bpm turbo wobble... well i say that but thinking about it

also dubstep uses lots of synth drums, and very different beats in general with more swing and stuff

the way i see it dnb and dubstep are just vaguely similar things born from different scenes (jungle and garage) really

actually theres a police in helicopter dubstep tune where it sounds like they couldnt be bothered to find the original sample and just sampled the entire intro of the dnb one instead, so that the intro is at the dnb tempo and then it just cuts out and goes into dubstep Hahaha

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - Slothrop - 2nd October 2007

The big difference - the thing that makes me more interested in dubstep than almost all dnb at the moment - is that dubstep's still very open ended and you still get tunes that completely flip the script or do something really unexpected on a fairly regular basis, rather than everyone just doing slightly better versions of what's gone before.

tyler Wrote:actually theres a police in helicopter dubstep tune where it sounds like they couldnt be bothered to find the original sample and just sampled the entire intro of the dnb one instead, so that the intro is at the dnb tempo and then it just cuts out and goes into dubstep Hahaha
The annoying thing about that is that it's just not a patch on the original in any way. Even in a dubstep set I'd rather hear the original because it sounds fucking incredible on a big system.

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - tyler - 2nd October 2007

slothrop Wrote:the big difference - the thing that makes me more interested in dubstep than almost all dnb at the moment - is that dubstep's still very open ended and you still get tunes that completely flip the script or do something really unexpected on a fairly regular basis, rather than everyone just doing slightly better versions of what's gone before.

Yes

personally i much prefer the tunes that are different but rough around the edges, to the well produced but dull things. been listening to n-types radio shows (download turx: http://rinsefm.blogspot.com/) for the past few weeks and the variety is amazing

i'd even say the slightly rough/dodgy production is part of the sound in some ways

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - Macc - 2nd October 2007

Dubstep's yawn-inducing but is only 95% shite, as compared to bleeding-eardrum-inducing dnb that's 99% shite.

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - ASC - 2nd October 2007

So much positive vibes in this thread. Love it!

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - Macc - 2nd October 2007

Teef

tyler Wrote:i'd even say the slightly rough/dodgy production is part of the sound in some ways

dnb needs more crust.

Apart from tempo whats the difference between Dubstep & DnB? - fanu - 3rd October 2007

Macc Wrote:Teef

tyler Wrote:i'd even say the slightly rough/dodgy production is part of the sound in some ways

dnb needs more crust.

i could use some of Pizza Hut's "stuffed crust" badness right now... Homerdrool