where the fuck has my inspiration gone :(

17 Replies, 2354 Views

it may sound strange but im moving my studio round this weekend to try and help, i have too many tracks on the go and need to focus, i have less and less time to work on things right now and think i need to improve my workflow. Im playing at technicality 1st of november and need to get my ass in gear.

Its not that i have no ideas its just the will to get shit done Icon_sad

its an age old question but what do you do to make yourself get shit done?
Just get down and do it.

The hard parts (I find) are

a) actually physically making yourself sit at the computer when you don't really feel like it. Sometimes you have no time all week to make tunes when you're dying to... then when you get the time you're too tired or don't feel like it etc. JUST SIT DOWN, and fifteen minutes later things will be happening.

b) Allowing it to happen, especially when a) is the case. There's a great sample I have of Bill Evans talking about how he didn't always feel like getting on the bandstand and playing, but when he did, the creative thing happened. All the training and practice over the years mean that it can't help but happen. Thinking about it and stuff doesn't help.

c) Knowing when you're going the wrong way and either having the strength (or rather, lack of obstinacy) to say 'this is shit and I am wasting my time', or 'this part is shit but the rest is good' and then acting on that thought without delay. Sometimes that ain't easy cos you put so long into making that disco beat work, but that's not reason not to remove it from the tune you're doing and save it for later.

FWIW, after a run of pure joy I've hit a bit of a wall in the current thing - but a few days off and listening to it on occasion, and I know exactly what's going to happen when I get my hands on it next.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
been here all too often. it's quite annoying.

i've just assembled my new pc and i'm actually quite excited (for the first time ages) about making tunes this weekend...

maybe moving your studio will work for you. i hope it does leo Smile

anyhow, i look forward to catching you at tech Xyxthumbs
cheers bwoyz Smile , im just ordering some funk cd's from amazon too should help for ideas when im not at the computer Xyxthumbs

yeh i have burnt 31 tracks to cd that im working on and have come up with a few directions i want to go in but by the time i get there im stuck again, i may just have to put them all on the back burner and pick 2 or 3 to work on,
btw any one who wants to contribute a few mp3s for me to play (if i like em) can do so via aim or pm nudge nudge Wink Wink
I'll see you on AIM soon ghuy Grin

Knowing when to say 'it's done' can help too Smile

Just finish stuff to 99% - that last 1% always takes ages, adds nothing to most people, and means you end up hating it... Fuck it.

I've felt a great sense of freedom since acknowledging that.
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Macc Wrote:....that last 1% always takes ages, adds nothing to most people, and means you end up hating it... Fuck it.

innit
Macc Wrote:that last 1% always takes ages, adds nothing to most people, and means you end up hating it... Fuck it.

too true.

I know how you feel mate, im lucky if i get one track done every 3 months, where as i know dub1 gets loads done, like a tune every two weeks! i got another freind who writes about one a day!

I just dont often feel that inspired (i am at the mo luckily and have written about 2 tracks in 2 months Grin) esp after going to werk, coming home, cooking, washing up.. after all that is done its time to go to bed coz ya knackered! oh well, im trying to make as much time for writing tunes, adn like macc said, even if im not in the mood.. just try n knock somthing out at least, even if its just a pissy 8 bar drum loop or somthing Smile
Do you play your tracks on an mp3 or in the car etc Leo? Ive only just started playing mine on my mp3 lately in amongst other tracks be it jazz or whatever. Ive found it really helps spark new ideas when i hit a dead end with tracks, maybe it's cos im not thinking too hard about the music whilst getting on with something else.

After the tracks have been rotating for a few days i find it a lot more easy to hear where the tracks should go next as apposed to staring at the pc when a tracks on loop cos that hardly ever does shit for me now..

(also gives me a better idea of whats wrong and right eq wise and whatnot )

Smile
markgabba Wrote:do you play your tracks on an mp3 or in the car etc

Yes constantly at the moment
Maybe stop then Grin

Go and buy this and listen to it for a week. If you don't want to make music after that, shoot yerself in the balls Teef
sorry dude, i was sitting on it.....i think it fell between some couch cushions.

here you go....you might want to brush it off though. i think it was lodged in next to a rancid couch marmot.

*hands DSP his inspriration*
You need to get drunk. Not just going out and getting hammered with your friends and having a good time. You need to get WASTED. You need to end up in a gutter, or wake up in some random persons backyard covered in puke, missing clothing items, have some healable injuries, and feel like complete shit.

This way you'll think, "This is not the way to go. I need to change my direction and get more productive."
Senator Adam Wrote:You need to get drunk. Not just going out and getting hammered with your friends and having a good time. You need to get WASTED. You need to end up in a gutter, or wake up in some random persons backyard covered in puke, missing clothing items, have some healable injuries, and feel like complete shit.

This way you'll think, "This is not the way to go. I need to change my direction and get more productive."

sounds like plan Grin
Hahaha

Leo will enjoy it too much.
i'm gonna have to try this one .. Smile
dsp Wrote:
Senator Adam Wrote:You need to get drunk. Not just going out and getting hammered with your friends and having a good time. You need to get WASTED. You need to end up in a gutter, or wake up in some random persons backyard covered in puke, missing clothing items, have some healable injuries, and feel like complete shit.

sounds like plan Grin

that was after tech in the van home ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
yo dsp, you got a few tunes on parameters right?
if it is you, really feelin the clips of 'wait for me' and 'jah jah' Yes
socialengineer Wrote:yo dsp, you got a few tunes on parameters right?
if it is you, really feelin the clips of 'wait for me' and 'jah jah' Yes

Smile cheers

@neil Pint Boobies

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ...without inspiration... snaper 8 1,992 23rd June 2010, 00:24
Last Post: Hovver
  What's on your inspiration box? Macc 24 3,201 18th February 2005, 16:05
Last Post: markgabba