SC Affiliate Labels - music magazine advertising

30 Replies, 5582 Views

so, who would be interested in contributing some cash towards a general SC ad in a music magazine, I think we should try to combine our resources to advertise in Knowledge + maybe 1 or 2 other general music mags.

Whaddya think ?

Also - which general music mags would be best ?
I don't really know of many - Q, Wired etc, who else ?
Anyone have any idea of how much a 1/4 A4 ad would be ?

Which would have an audience that would potentially be interested in the music SC has to offer ??

any ideas, post here...

any interested label owners, post here ... !

Grin
they are about 500 squid arent they?

if you advertise the mags are more willing to give you press, this used to infuriate me when i was a label manager, its almost like that whole "pay to play" bullshit.

but when we were advertsiing regularly record sales did improve, notoriety and features.....
depends how much they are

if it's £500 then No
statto Wrote:depends how much they are

if it's £500 then No

prices may have come down but i think we used to pay about that....

maybe for a 1/4 page it was like 200 sheets, we used to do half to fullies.
I like the idea. Probably best thing to do first is find out how much it will actually cost, but it's certainly a good idea in principle.

It's been ages since I bought any paper-based magazine that wasn't New Scientist so I don't have any more suggestions for target publications....

I assume DJ and Mixmag are still going?
Ashes Wrote:they are about 500 squid arent they?

that's grand !

so, if 5 labels wanted to advertise - that would only be £100 each.

Quote:if you advertise the mags are more willing to give you press, this used to infuriate me when i was a label manager, its almost like that whole "pay to play" bullshit.

I guessed this might be the case... that was another reason I wanted to sort this out Wink Grin
Code Wrote:only be £100 each.

only

what are you hoping to get back from that layout?
Statto Wrote:
Code Wrote:only be £100 each.

only

what are you hoping to get back from that layout?

well, I'm hoping we'll get a few other labels on board, so that that could be reduced further - also that's for 1/2 a page... if we had 5 labels in a 1/4 page ad, it would be £50 each at the very most ?

for the layout I'm hoping to attract alot of people to listen to the music on offer !

We'd obviously have to get the SC Portal upto date with soundclips etc before the ad is published ... then the ad could just direct them there.

We'll never know what impact this kind of advertising can have if we don't try it once ...
ok so

i'll think about it

Chin
Code Wrote:well, I'm hoping we'll get a few other labels on board, so that that could be reduced further - also that's for 1/2 a page... if we had 5 labels in a 1/4 page ad, it would be £50 each at the very most ?

for the layout I'm hoping to attract alot of people to listen to the music on offer !

We'd obviously have to get the SC Portal upto date with soundclips etc before the ad is published ... then the ad could just direct them there.

We'll never know what impact this kind of advertising can have if we don't try it once ...

Yeah but a 1/4 page is tiny code and split between 5 labels is miniscule

I have been doing quarter pages now and again for three / 4 releases on bassbin and spreading the cost between the releases and label.
there could be a bit of difference between 2 x 1/4 and a half and if it was co-ordinated, i could maybe take one quarter and you and a couple others take another quarter, and then book as a half and get Stacks to do one ad looking like two.

hope that ,makes sense lol.
Rohan Wrote:there could be a bit of difference between 2 x 1/4 and a half and if it was co-ordinated, i could maybe take one quarter and you and a couple others take another quarter, and then book as a half and get Stacks to do one ad looking like two.

hope that ,makes sense lol.

that sounds like a better plan
Rohan Wrote:
Code Wrote:well, I'm hoping we'll get a few other labels on board, so that that could be reduced further - also that's for 1/2 a page... if we had 5 labels in a 1/4 page ad, it would be £50 each at the very most ?

Yeah but a 1
/4 page is tiny code and split between 5 labels is miniscule

Yes, but the ad just needs to direct people to the SC Portal that Scope has setup where we can have soundclips for all the labels (not just those who signed up for the ad).

So the ad wouldn't need to be very complex ...

if it was for 5 labels :

- 5 label logos + SC logo
- SC Portal web address
- a brief description of the style of music

your idea would work fine too though !
statto Wrote:ok so

i'll think about it

Chin

okay, so statto's thinking about it...

rohan - maybe (to be discussed further :d )

anyone else ??
just to drop some facts b4 yis all get too despondent.

our recent half page spot in a good location in knowledge was around 250 squid Xyxthumbs

£50 per label for 5 labels aint half bad.....
scope Wrote:just to drop some facts b4 yis all get too despondent.

our recent half page spot in a good location in knowledge was around 250 squid Xyxthumbs

£50 per label for 5 labels aint half bad.....

yeah - i would expect that knowledge / atm would be cheaper than the bigger, general music magazines like empire, q or whoever else there is ...

so... given that rate - anyone up for it ?
I'll give some money toward the SC part...
wired is out, i guess:
http://www.whatsnextnow.com/general_frmset.html
q magazine don't have their rates online. enquiries:
http://www.q4music.com/nav?page=q4music.about.advertise
cp_ffm Wrote:wired is out, i guess:
http://www.whatsnextnow.com/general_frmset.html
q magazine don't have their rates online. enquiries:
http://www.q4music.com/nav?page=q4music.about.advertise

is that $14,000 for a 1/3 page ad @ 48X then ?

Icon_eek Icon_eek Icon_eek
Wired is an american computer magazine.
Surely you mean The Wire ?
Not cheap either, though:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/about/advertising.html
code: yes
flx: i didn't even notice on which site i was. was just looking for ad rates. Oops
flx Wrote:wired is an american computer magazine.
surely you mean the wire ?
not cheap either, though:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/about/advertising.html

Lol

yeah... that's what i meant !!

ah... well, at least it's within budget !!!

£300 for a 1/4 page mono ad
or £500 for 1/4 page colour

Chin
Bump

i like rohan's idea. Chin
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Chin
statto in Chin mode

Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Music piracy, labels etc denaris 20 3,556 4th March 2010, 18:04
Last Post: pofik
  jungle/d+b record labels that had house labels? 247 10 3,964 2nd January 2010, 10:14
Last Post: Phokus
  ADVERTISING, THOUGHTS? OwenPaulStory 18 2,429 12th November 2008, 22:30
Last Post: OwenPaulStory
  good old myspace advertising.... cube 6 1,261 11th April 2008, 09:40
Last Post: djfada
  False Advertising - a gallery of parody 8bits 0 477 3rd May 2006, 17:36
Last Post: 8bits