Headphone crew

217 Replies, 114572 Views

They have arrived ! Icon_yippee

For breaking in purposes. I suppose starting mega quiet and gradually moving up is the way forward. I dont know how loud ;loud; is on cans, and so im just going to start v quiet.

will try not to listen to them before theyre broken in, but i guess that might prove too hard to resist.

Cheers
If you go to that site where they sell the amps there is a guide somewhere..follow that Smile
yeah sorry

being mega stupid/paranoid. They seem fairly robust.

pretty straightforward really.

Amp has tunred up today apparently Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee

Give it a few more days.....

Only tried them for a few seconds, want to wait to break em in.

Cheers all.
is it bad to listen to them while you break them in? your ears probably just adapt as they change anyway dont they?
It's not bad, but it does give you a false impression - a disappointing one.

You read reviews on Amazon by idiots saying 'I got them out of the box and they were a real let down' Roll Spaz heads.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
so theyve had a good 48 hours, 24 ish with the amp, albeit at low output from my mp3 player,

used them last night, for producing, and was very impressed, they sound like mackies in your head. going to take a bit of getting used to, never really used cans before. the bass response in particiular will need adjusting to.

but did the stupidest thing last night. was playing for a a while and decided to cross reference on the speakers. went downstairs for a smoke, came back up, put the cans on and carried on. stopped for a second and realised id left the speakers on, been caning it at 11:30 Oops Oops Oops

if you live at no.3 and are reading this, im very very sorry Nervous

since then theyve had an overnight breakin with some heavy stuff at a louder volume.

the only thing is, as ive broken the amp and headphones in together, i cant really tell how good each bit is, im sure theyre both great, but cant tell how much better is is with the amp. will have to try once broken in.

cheers tho, great purchase.
paradigm x Wrote:but did the stupidest thing last night. was playing for a a while and decided to cross reference on the speakers. went downstairs for a smoke, came back up, put the cans on and carried on. stopped for a second and realised id left the speakers on, been caning it at 11:30 Oops Oops Oops

if you live at no.3 and are reading this, im very very sorry Nervous
haha! i've done that with my 650s as well.

but the opposite is also true. so many times i've had to take them off to check it wasn't also coming through the monitors, because it sure sounded like it was.
Hahaha when you keep turning it up thinking why is it still so quiet, then take off the headphones to try and figure it out and its coming out of the speakers not the headphones Oops
Those of you using headphones for production - Do you use a headphone amplifier?

Why is this better than plugging headphones directly into the 'phones' output on your interface?
hello mate Welcome

yes i use an amp - the answers are in this thread. have a good read thru Xyxthumbs

any more questions, dive in.

in short, impedance matching, to drive high q cans properly, and crossfeed, to simulate speakers.
hello resist0000 (man it feels silly typing that Hahaha ) Welcome to the board! Wave

as pdx says, there's a number of reasons. a lot of it depends on your cans though. normal low impedance dj cans will be driven okay by most normal outputs. but (very generally), better cans have higher impedance values and need more power to drive them. insufficient power means that the headphones aren't working with optimal power/current, meaning, in short they won't sound as good as they could.

and then there's crossfeed etc etc, which can be done by plugins, but personally i am more than happy with that built into the amp.

Smile
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
ok, so my question is: closed or open headphones?

i'm generally in favour of closed to put me in an isolated world of sound that is entirely created within the headphone.

when would open be more useful? in a studio environment wouldnt you just use a good set of monitors instead of open headdies?
open backs Smile
Paradigm X Wrote:Im also predicting jumping out of my skin everytime my wife taps me on the shoulder, that happens already Hahaha

yep when in deep thought with phones on happens to me all the time
Interesting.

My mixer decided to blow up last night Neutral

Good job i got the cans.

Got no reference now (or mic ins, fwiw).

Doh. Hopefully jsut a fuse or summat.
Paradigm X Wrote:Interesting.

My mixer decided to blow up last night Neutral.

gayness.
is it under warranty?
No. Already been repaired once. I hardly use it, its a glorfied volume control Neutral

Was thinking of selling and getting a tiny 4 in 2 out mixer, save space much as anything else.

Ill have to have a look when i get time. Your dad fix it ? Teef
nah he never did Lol so i got a 16 ch mackie desk to make use of my motu i/o.
Got my HD600s a few days ago. Like Macc said, I was also disappointed when I first put them on. They sounded very dense, especially in mid/highs. However, I put it through some Source Direct albums on repeat for quite a while.... WOW.

The things just opened up! After about 4 hours of burning them in I noticed the bass seemed fuller. Yet, the mids still seemed a bit dense/closed. After about 8 hours, the cans really started to sound good. I stopped burning them in and started actually using them. I'm past 10 hours, probably 12-15 and they sound completely different than when I tried them on at first. Can't wait to get to the 20 hour mark Smile
Been using HD-25's for about 3 or 4 years now. They still please me Smile
just got me some HD-280s -- cannot wait to get home and try them Icon_yippee
I'm getting another pair for work and I'm not sure which to go with.. I dont like the look of the HD-25s, would rather have some bigger cups like the 600s.. probably closed so I don't piss people off. Not too bothered about blocking external noise, but immersive would be good. and preferably better quality than my sony in ears

Theyre just going in the headphone out of my desktop so as much as I'd like another pair of HD600s I don't think it would be worth it!

Thinking HD215.. or HD500...

http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=as...opcatid=22

Helps???????
wow I'd forgotten how awesome my avatar is

go me
markgabba Wrote:Found the 650s for £160.00. Think I'll be getting them Smile

where? tried google shopping but all the cheaper places are sold out Icon_sad

tyler Wrote:incidentally i had some beyerdynamics, dt150 or 250 or something i think, and they were pretty nice until i lost them,

i'm such a plank Lol
I recently bought a pair of AKG K240S

[Image: AKG_k240studio.jpg]

As a novice I think that they are only ok for high and midrange frequencies but it's really hard to do some sort of decent EQing on low frequencies. Ah well, I'll go and buy a pair of monitors soon.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Audio Interfaces / Headphone Amps Code 7 6,742 9th January 2013, 03:06
Last Post: Code
  headphone amps impact_ 16 7,901 20th February 2011, 00:16
Last Post: Ashtonron
  what's the website that generates headphone comparission charts? InfiniteSloth 2 3,279 29th September 2010, 20:09
Last Post: InfiniteSloth
  valve headphone amp dsp 6 5,257 27th December 2009, 13:49
Last Post: denaris
  Headphone Monitoring Abend 16 8,313 2nd April 2007, 01:59
Last Post: Abend