RELEASE 

Let's Dissect the Entire Aphex Twin Discography

34 Replies, 29552 Views

i mean we can try at least lol.. there IS AN ASTONISHING amount of music isn't there? 

Anything Rich D. James related. 

I'm posting this not as a fan per se, but out of curiosity of which pieces in the discography that appealed to you. My interests in Aphex Twin related stuff is minimal, but definitely goes back to the beginning. 2015 saw those entire, supposedly anonymously posted downloadable compilations of unreleased RD James tunes via soundcloud, which I haven't actually listened to. Were they any good? There was a lot to filter through. In general, how much of the RD James catalog have you listened to?  Chin   Feel free to share. 

Randomly, Ill start with The Bug / Daddy Freddy remix.  "Run The Place Red".. indeed.  Xyxthumbs

rewind material. heh. 

AFX - Laughable Butane Bob - best drum and bass tune he ever did for me. Plus 'Vorhobsn' on Drukjs.
Aphex Twin - Donkey Rhubarb - edited version with glockenspiel and Sweet Little Band variation on eMusic.
Aphex Twin - Green Calx + Red Calx - available from SC, better than Blue Calx personally.
AFX - Flim - his best jungle proto dnb tune imo. Much more discussion about this tune on www.idmforums.com AFX thread already.
Aphex Twin - Anastasia - piano track at the end of Syro spelt backwards
AFX - Computer Controlled Experiments Pt. 2 - available from Juno
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol.1 & 2 - of course! Rhubarb original is on it.
Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do - you can hear that on Googleplay. Still has staying power. Techno techno tumbles.
^^ bang! deliver. Smile Will have to check bits of that list I haven't heard. This may be my project for 2016 k? To see how much RD James sounds I can listen to, and share my thoughts, or something. heh.

For example, how many remixes has he done? Off the top, I'm a huuuge Meat Beat Manifesto fan, from way back. I got into AFX stuff for the noise aspect to some degree, the industrial style beats that appealed to me then. So hearing the Meat Beat Manifesto remix was a nice meeting place for me. I still have this cd e.p. release, bought it specifically for the Aphex mix. I would spend hours in used CD / record shops digging up random finds like this. A used cd bin find from those days.

Interesting interpretation.

St. Etienne remix from 1993, ominous vibe.

That Daddy Fredy remix is mental! So good.
good choice Muttster! ^^ listening now. Smile

I am digging into this as I post. Going in.  It is a Dj Food mix after all.  Cool

Cool? 

Solid Steel Radio Show 13/2/2015 Part 1 + 2

"..Unless you've been living under a rock recently you'll have heard the news that Aphex Twin unexpectedly uploaded 155 of his old and unreleased tracks to Soundcloud (as user48736353001 ) and made them downloadable for free. Starting from his earliest demos through to known live tracks, later jungle experiments and beyond, this is the motherlode that his fans have always wanted. DJ Food, a long-time Aphex fan, has been through the entire collection with a fine-toothed comb and selected his favourites for the first half of the show this week. The hit rate was high but he's has managed to cram 31 tracks into 85 minutes to mark this unique occasion and peppered the mix with vintage interview clips of Richard James talking about his music."

Tracklist:

th1
39 Fnkmg
Floating
19 Ssnb
8 Utopia
19 [Slo]w early morning clissold sunrise
21 Hapshifter 1
12 Rough Beat Tune
Luke Vibert - Spiral Staircase [Future Music competition] [afx remix]
Thy're Here Aahha
33 Jonny Hawkes Broken Guitar[not Finished]
4 Red Calx [slo]
4 Red Calx
34.5 P.e.
5 heliosphan live
2 Afx 126b
15 Bradley Jam Pump
GPO Beat
Mortal 08
PrncDMC
Fork Rave
T13 Quadraverb
1 P-String
13 Short Mental fax
14 Make a Baby
14 Moodular Acid [pissflaps mix]
18 Mello Punchy
tigercubdelay
(HAB un23) (unfinished)
26 5 Demo
Th1 [slo]
I have to admit, I know nothing about Aphex Twin past 1994. I downloaded Syro but haven't listened to it yet Hahaha

anyways I have some early Aphex Twin stuff. Here is a fav which got licensed by R & S (that is the 12 Inch I have) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5UBYOv1G9A
Music critic for the Tally Ho
Wait a sec I actually have a few more records of his past 1994, namley the "Come to Daddy"- EP and the "Windowlicker" EP . But no albums, except for the Caustic Window compilation 3x12" which is great.

http://www.discogs.com/Caustic-Window-Co...ster/19885
Reminds me of hitting mallets in the primary schools music room when I was young...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFNIW2jof7E
Wow. Just got done listening to the 2015, "Solid Steel" Dj Food mix. GOOD. Some earlier bits in there I recall from my Aphex memory bank too. I have a bit more patience now for the jungley stuff featured later in the Dj Food mix, but I definitely have my ear fixed on the 4/4 stuff, which some people might see as "boring", or standard banging techno with no vibe, or what have you. I am a fan of that Aphex banging techno noise, still resonates with me in 2016  Smile  

Listening back, its interesting to see how much breakbeats have always been a constant in the catalog. Early 90's AFX was similarly written up in the music press at the time as both a hardcore techno thing, as well as an emerging ambient name then. Its interesting considering how both UK hardcore breakbeat & early jungle were developing into what we heard in the early 90's, and techno was doing its thing of all stripes, but the AFX stuff was one earlier places where it all met. AFX as 4/4 hardcore, AFX as breakbeat, AFX as techno, AFX as ambient.. etc. etc. Not many artists could be viewed like that from that time. The reference points collide, where as specific tastes in beats are often segmented, and sometimes isolated. Its an interesting look @ electronic music from that viewpoint of when the AFX stuff started being released.

Case in point. 1992, R&S Records.  Specifically, I see a parallel in the Tessela R&S tunes that we've seen from 2013 to 2015 thus far. Perhaps a direct influence? Smart of R&S to keep an ear out for such tunes regardless. I see a continuum of sorts. 

http://www.discogs.com/Tessela-Nancys-Pa...se/5000336
http://www.discogs.com/Tessela-Rough-2/release/5874120
http://www.discogs.com/Tessela-Bottom-Ou...se/6882083

Forgot all about the Seefeel "Time To Find Me" remix (1993), literally one of the first random dance music vinyl purchases I made, never mixed it with anything tho, just something to space out to. Infinity Infinity  lol  

0:00 Seefeel -- Time To Find Me (AFX Fast Mix)
7:34 Gavin Bryars -- Raising The Titanic (Big Drum Mix)
16:17 Gentle People -- Journey (Aphex Twin Care Mix)
26:31 Kinesthesia -- Triachus (Aphex Twin Mix)
30:44 Philip Glass -- Heroes (Aphex Twin Remix)
36:02 Buck Tick -- In The Glitter Part 2 (Aphex Twin Mix)
41:05 Jesus Jones -- Zeros And Ones (Aphex Twin Reconstruction #2)
46:54 Nav Katze -- Ziggy (Aphex Twin Mix #1)
51:20 Saint Etienne -- Your Head My Voice (Voix Revirement)
54:35 Nav Katze -- Change (Aphex Twin Mix #2)
58:52 The Beatniks -- Une Femme N'est Pas Un Homme (Aphex Twin Mix)
1:03:06 Nine Inch Nails -- The Beauty Of Being Numb Section B (Created By Aphex Twin)
1:06:25 Nobukazu Takemura -- Let My Fish Loose (Aphex Twin Remix

0:00 Die Fantastischen Vier -- Krieger (Aphex Twin Baldhu Mix)
3:23 Phillip Boa & The Voodoo Club -- Deep In Velvet (Aphex Twin Turnips Mix)
7:14 Curve -- Falling Free (Aphex Twin Remix)
14:55 Mescalinum United -- We Have Arrived (Aphex Twin QQT Mix)
19:19 Nine Inch Nails -- At The Heart Of It All (Created By Aphex Twin)
23:08 808 State -- Flow Coma (AFX Remix)
28:08 Aphex Twin -- Windowlicker (Acid Edit)
32:24 Baby Ford -- Normal (Helston Flora Remix By AFX)
39:15 Aphex Twin -- SAW2 CD1 TRK2 (Original Mix)
45:46 Meat Beat Manifesto -- Mindstream (The Aphex Twin Remix)
49:28 DMX Krew -- You Can't Hide Your Love (Hidden Love Mix)
54:33 Wagon Christ -- Spotlight (Aphex Twin Mix)
1:01:31 Mike Flowers Pops -- Debase (Soft Palate)
Nice.

Street Side Boyz "I Want To Be With You", originally released 1988

Aphex remix, October 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPU4DJG4phg
Karlheinz Stockhausen Wrote:I heard the piece Aphex Twin of Richard James carefully: I think it would be very helpful if he listens to my work Song Of The Youth, which is electronic music, and a young boy’s voice singing with himself. Because he would then immediately stop with all these post-African repetitions, and he would look for changing tempi and changing rhythms, and he would not allow to repeat any rhythm if it were varied to some extent and if it did not have a direction in its sequence of variations.

Twothumbs
James (an admirer of Stockhausen) replied, "I thought he should listen to a couple of tracks of mine: "Digeridoo", then he'd stop making abstract, random patterns you can't dance to".

Lol
Quino-Phec.

Thats all that needs to be said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHEM-zK6WDY
did anyone elese manage to get the 110 tracks he released for free last year as user48736353001 on soundcloud?
I did: https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comme...rchiveorg/
I loved the Polygon Window album Surfing On Sine Waves. I bought it as a teenager in early '93. A "friend" of mine probably stole it from me though, at least that's what I suspected. One evening he visited me and carried this record bag with him. After his visit I couldn't find the double 12" in question any more when I intended to give it another spin. Anyways, gorgeous album and the whole playlist easily available on youtube these days.

http://www.discogs.com/Polygon-Window-Su...ster/19893
there's an attempt at a tracklist posted.  Live @ Houston, Texas, December 17, 2016.

[Image: C0DTVddUsAAgikp.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_odiiqclrp01s14vlbo1_1280.png]
I still have this 1993 cd e.p.   I never bought the originals Vol. 1 "On" e.p... considering how much time I used to spend in record shops back then listening to tunes, previewing stuff, I guess the remix Vol.2 version was enough to make it into my auditory existence back then.  Or maybe cuz the purchase itself was relatively cheap? ha.  

The Paradinas remix obsessed me for a time. Still a nice relic. Reload mix is ok too. 28 mix.. all good, played many times on repeat.  The D-scape remix freaked me out, and still does. I remember trying to find ways to mix tunes into the D-scape remix. 

The original 1993, Vol. 1 "On" e.p.   Standard Aphex for the time.  "73-Yips" can still appeal to me in 2017, and I don't mind "Xepha".

titanium posted the original "On" earlier in the thread ^^  cool? 

aka Power-Pill, "Pac Man".. 1992

Choci's High Score mix for me thanks. Smile Mickey Finn mix.. stabs, the vocal edits, classic formula really for the time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the pinnacle of Photek's entire body of work Statto 9 9,434 8th November 2017, 08:58
Last Post: widzhit
  Stockhausen on Aphex Twin, Plastikman, Scanner... Statto 129 53,614 30th July 2015, 11:37
Last Post: cube
  26 Pictures Will Make You Re-Evaluate Your Entire Existence Statto 1 3,211 20th November 2014, 18:02
Last Post: Fada
  Aphex Twin "Modular Trax" Free album on soundcloud firefinga 0 2,721 10th November 2014, 21:24
Last Post: firefinga
  Phiip Sherburne - A Conversation With Aphex Twin [RichDork Media] Muttley 2 3,494 20th September 2014, 10:49
Last Post: firefinga