For The Ambient Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001

Yo subvert friends

Please become acquainted with Eilean Rec. On Bandcamp. They release really peaceful music.

I think this review got lost in hyperspace, but I have done a fair few for Fluid Radio recently, so I edited up a updated version for here; a one album capsule accounting for the recent two album deal.

Eilean Rec. Capsule Article - 020419-150419 - Ciro Berenguer - El Mar De Junio

Apart from the suet pudding slew of soft-centred ambient melt this past Winter, warming us up and feasting our appetites,
there have been consistent labels like Eilean Rec, Home Normal, Low Point and Shimmering Moods (in these pages) showing their
faces in the form of releases properly for nigh on five years. For many, the point of labels like these seems to be record
emporiums turned tastemaker markers, things that occupy statically in the scene, neither left or right of stage, not as
backing props, but more as idyllic portals into plant life soundtracks that wouldn't be out of place in nature programs such as
Life On Earth or David Attenborough's The Blue Planet.

Because these labels release so frequently, it's often hard for even the regular consumer of just a few labels
to keep up. I am not so objecting to the label "consumer" now because, at the end of the day, the point of emporiums is to
set up a digital language that transcends the confines of stuffiness and into sheer musicality. And musical these Eilean Records
two albums are at this start of Spring proper. New names to me (and probably hitherto most people in the casuals scene), I am
concentrating on Ciro Berenguer's release textually for the purposes of brevity. The music has brought my attention back to
zoning out to the drug-like nature of all-consuming ambient.

Where do we begin? Ciro Berenguer might not be a name you have heard of, I had never heard them before anyway. And this work
on "El Mar De Junio" is quite quietly remarkable. Think a lure, sunken underwater on a still, fly fishing lake. The water drips
like air conditioning drones into the atmosphere, but mostly its electronic warbling sounds of "La Invernada" are dissimilar
with Sawako's feminine beauty for guitar ambience of pure bliss. As such, the comparison with "just", wholly just intoned
Japanese friendly compositional approach is highly effective throughout. This is Eilean Records at its most paradoxical.

Which is great. I love the records like these they are signing. All very calm, exact miniatures, in lieu the
Argentine's second piece suggests here. From further research we find the composer has lived for many years in Barcelona, Spain.
Having visited Spain myself, but not Fawlty Towers Manuel's famous dig from comedy portrayer John Cleese of the BBC, there is
possibly a atonement of rich intercontinental charm felt by the listener; acoustic and electric guitars ebbing into the distance
and back into the foreground like the sound of ice cream truck zither that populates the opening tones of "Luna Creciente". As
we proceed, things form brighter spires, fuller forms and less buzzing hum is felt or suggested. In other words, the music
settles into a groove and rides it without falling atop or clipping your ears. It's exceedingly soft, lavish stuff.

http://www.bandcamp.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: For The Ambient Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001 - by Muttley - 15th April 2019, 13:18

Possibly Related Threads...
7th June 2019, 12:09
Last Post: Muttley
22nd October 2018, 09:13
23rd August 2018, 12:14
12th September 2017, 11:35
Last Post: EdwardSullivan63
  For Lovers of AMEN! Started by NoodeL
9 Replies - 4,143 Views
17th January 2017, 18:22