Panning drums

21 Replies, 12913 Views

Do ye? And one channel or two?

I tend to go for non-panned, one channel per break (sometimes doubling up because of limited availability of compressers...), but I'd be curious to hear of what others of yez do...
Naphta Wrote:Do ye? And one channel or two?

I tend to go for non-panned, one channel per break (sometimes doubling up because of limited availability of compressers...), but I'd be curious to hear of what others of yez do...

never in Dnb do i pan my beats but when making Jazz or Rock based stuff you can get more varied and creative.....
suggest don't do it — I can't think of a single record in which panning didn't sound naff Roll
panning or panned?

the use of panned beats in Jazz or Rock productions can sound amazing!!
actually i did a track on Southern Session called Insomnia and that has panning beats!!!

subtle but panning none-the-less...........
Blue Wrote:panning or panned?

errrmmm Ralph
Blue Wrote:actually i did a track on Southern Session called Insomnia and that has panning beats!!!

subtle but panning none-the-less...........

I shall go and listen to it forthwith

[Image: outtahere.gif]
on a similar note, you may want to try separating kick, snare and perc to separate channels rather than one channel per break.....you'll find both approaches have benefit at different times....

big up the sneaky lunch time at BT cru
yeah man, never put kicks and snares down the same channel.......

they need isolation!!
Freaky - but makes sense insofar as they would have been originally have been recorded separately.......!
Statto Wrote:suggest don't do it — I can't think of a single record in which panning didn't sound naff Roll

Goldie - Jah!

Dillinja - Sky!
naphta Wrote:goldie - jah!

dillinja - sky!

dillinja - sky — well ok, these are pretty good panning drums Grin

goldie - jah the seventh seal — this panning is pretty lame i think — typical idiot on the mixing desk "what does this do?" rubbish Roll — maybe it works better on a club rig?

blue - insomnia — a nice track mr blue Grin — forgotten about this one — sleeplessness, rapid heartbeat, ???? (what's that last?) — but it's not what i'd call panning ... just things are flipped wide here and there — works well though Xyxthumbs
statto Wrote:[quote=naphta]goldie - jah!

blue - insomnia — a nice track mr blue Grin — forgotten about this one — sleeplessness, rapid heartbeat, ???? (what's that last?) — but it's not what i'd call panning ... just things are flipped wide here and there — works well though Xyxthumbs

it pans baby!! if sound passes from one speaker to another thats panning!! i know its subtle tho!! its actually the built in phaser effect tweaked on the pro 1...it pans...honest guv!! Xyxthumbs

the sample is sleeplessness, rapid heartbeat, euphoria!!! taken from cronenbergs "deadringers" spoke by genevieve bujold.
Statto Wrote:Goldie - Jah the Seventh Seal — this panning is pretty lame I think — typical idiot on the mixing desk "what does this do?" rubbish Roll — maybe it works better on a club rig?

OMFG!

Statto - you're DEAD!

Back to yer Sci-Clones and yer Kenny G sax - go on! Off with yer!
Naphta Wrote:
Statto Wrote:Goldie - Jah the Seventh Seal — this panning is pretty lame I think — typical idiot on the mixing desk "what does this do?" rubbish Roll — maybe it works better on a club rig?

OMFG!

Statto - you're DEAD!

i sooo agree Naphta my man...!!!
Naphta Wrote:OMFG!

Statto - you're DEAD!

[Image: hidesbehindsofa.gif]

but really... when was the last time you listened to it on headphones?
I'll give YOU headphones sunshine!
Naphta Wrote:I'll give YOU headphones sunshine!

really... grand track and all... but the panning isn't what makes it so Roll
OK then - cut it out of that mix I gave you and GIVE IT BACK!!!!!
naphta Wrote:ok then - cut it out of that mix i gave you and give it back!!!!!

ahem! Repost

statto Wrote:really... grand track and all... but the panning isn't what makes it so

ps shan't! 201tongue
AND.......

Dillinja - Heavenly Bass!!!
Naphta Wrote:Goldie - Jah!

hmmm... you didn't say Jah the Seventh Seal did you? Oops

I played Jah today and OK, you're right, the drums are crazy! Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Panning elektrovert 12 3,058 9th May 2006, 18:46
Last Post: subvert