music production under linux ?

16 Replies, 6016 Views

Is anyone here using linux for music production ?
What software is available, and is it any good ?
dont think its ready yet but there are some fairly powerful packages available.

look up audacity and rosegarden for starters
I read something on cubase.net about there being a viable alternative available..... Don't ask me to remember any more than that though Lol
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
there are 'equivalent' packages available out there....

non are as mature or functional as the big boys on mac / pc.

lack of a standard for plugins etc doesnt help.

if you want support for VST or AU plugs, its a no go...
Search in google for The Agnula Project. That's a complete music production package for linux. As usual for free. I believe if you install wine you can also install most VSTi's.
Also checkout Rosegarden.

Greetz
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Feb03/ar...xaudio.asp
Welcome subbass9 Xyxthumbs
Subbass9 Wrote:Search in google for The Agnula Project. That's a complete music production package for linux. As usual for free. I believe if you install wine you can also install most VSTi's.
Also checkout Rosegarden.

Greetz

yeh but using Wine wont make those VST plugs available in native sequences unless im mistaken ?
and Welcome indeed Wave
rose garden and a vst host are pretty much running things on linux atm, but its still a ball ache to get the fuckers working if you know shit all about linux, also there is a low latency system called jack which these programs run with
Thanks all, Agnula and Rosegarden look promising.
And I just found out that there is a Linux version of SuperCollider Icon_eek

Oh, and Welcome Subbass9
I really wanna switch to unix aswell.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
Thx for all the welcomes Smile
Glad i could help.
Enjoy the linux Smile But if you're a windows user it might look a bit difficult at start. But it isn't, you just have to adapt to it, that's all.
http://www.soundtracker.org soundtracker

heh
Wired aims to be a professional music production and composition software running on Linux.

It brings musicians a complete studio environment to compose and record music without requiring expensive hardware.
Wired supports unlimited Audio/Midi tracks playback and recording, and introduces a Plugin system for instruments and effects. It can also read AKAI CDs and import 18 different Wave formats.

The following instruments and effects are being developed:

Loop sampler, with pitch shifting and time-stretching Beatbox with a new editing concept, to create reallistic and complex drum sequences MIDI controlled sampler, which can read AKAI program and sample files. High-pass, Low-pass and Notch filters Compressor/Limiter Delay.

First offical version has been released and is available at http://bloodshed.net/wired.
wired looks interesting thx for the link!

and it comes with source code too which is cool
I will be keep up with this thread, because I am a open source / *nix
head. Peace.
Divine Ruler

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self-contained music production: Maschine, MPC etc... Ben Kei 11 8,064 22nd February 2013, 10:00
Last Post: subvert
  Horizons Music presents a Live Production Q&A with Data & Blocks - Free entry rachelknowledge 0 1,641 2nd August 2011, 12:43
Last Post: rachelknowledge
  Akaizer now available for OS X! (and linux) Ben Kei 3 1,499 1st November 2009, 23:47
Last Post: denaris
  linux DAW oplin 6 2,331 8th May 2008, 13:37
Last Post: bhima
  Multitrack HD-Recording with Linux littleNemo 3 1,258 30th May 2007, 16:26
Last Post: socialengineer