So subverts what have you been reading recently?

923 Replies, 597616 Views

Octavia Bulter - Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents
Ursula Le Guin - Voices
Max Wolf Valerio - The Testosterone Files
China Miéville - Looking for Jake & Other Stories
Pat Califia - Sensuous Magic
Mistress Lorelei - The Mistress Manual
China Miéville - King Rat

Smiley
Max Frisch - Stiller
Max Goldt - Die Kugeln in unseren Köpfen
littleNemo Wrote:Stanislaw Lem - More Tales of Pirx the Pilot

i was dissapointed by this book. somehow, dunno why.

neil gaiman - anansi boys. my woman gave it to me and....
im fucking blowed by how the man writes stories.

layercake full of black glass beads.
Knut Hamsun - Hunger Grin
Neal Stephenson - The Diamond Age Neutral
J.G. Ballard - Vermilion Sands
Edward Said - On Late Style
Nothing at the moment, last read was 'A Scanner Darkly'
but tomorrow I'm gonna go by 'The Barefoot Doctor's Guide to being an Urban Warrior'
Smile
Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream by Jay Stevens

Out of print - if you can find it read! Highly recommended.
I've just started the Rise of Modern Japan - it's a toughie.
Statto Wrote:Ursula Le Guin - Voices

Great stuff. The Earthsea trilogy is good as well. I'm sure you've read it though.

Currently: Paul Johnson - Modern Times - A History of the World from the 1920s to the 1990s.
'the great war for civilization' - robert fisk - hardcore humanist history of the last 30 years of middle eastern - & related - geopolitical tragedy - highly recommended. fisk is the man Cool

'chickenhawk' - robert mason - huey chopper pilot's recount of his vietnam war experiences - occasionally a little stilted in the personal reminiscences, but overall, v. impressive in its immediacy

'dispatches' - michael herr - rock'n'roll style account of the author's experiences in the vietnam war... from the co-author of 'apocalypse now' and 'full metal jacket' - very much an the on-the-ground us perspective (warts 'n' all), some beautifully flowing prose and a very vivid atmosphere conjured

'unreasonable behaviour' - don mc cullin - amazingly powerful no-frills autobiography of one of the pre-eminent war photgraphers of the last 30 years - mc cullin's uneducated directness - both in print and in prose - is positively striking, check it out

Xyxthumbs
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
Kafka - Diaries (1910-1912)
and some books about World War 2
dubstep promoter
just finished 'american psycho' and loved it - very dark sense of humour and there are some incredible chapters near the end. now onto 'glamourama'. i really liked 'less than zero' as well - bret easton ellis can do no wrong
Last one I read was "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King. Always been a huge fan of his. Grin
I saw a Mexican film called Duck Season which had me in stitches in parts
gangland britain

pretty good read

loads of stories in there

peace
http:
//www.inperspectiverecords.com/
Gunnar Schubert - Die kollektive Unschuld

Schobert describes how the bombing of Dresden was and is utilized in both parts of postwar Germany to constitute a myth of national victimhood. He also traces the genesis of some of the most persistent lies perpetuated by self-styled historians, for example the claim that the bombings were of no military value and the exaggerations about the number of victims. Recommended.
Lyrical theme(s): War, Freedom, Glory, Honor, Heavy Metal
just clicked randomly on one of the previous pages and saw that someone was reading deleuze...who's an author I've been meaning to get around to for ages. I was just wondering, whether you've gotta trawl though tonnes of nietzsche and freud to get your head around it, or if it's at all accessible. little help?
mostly global affairs-type biz recently -

"charlie wilson's war" (forget the author) - re: all the crazy behind-the-scenes US Senate and CIA maneuvering required to step up the afghan mujahideen's game against the soviet invasion in the 80s. plus cocaine, belly dancers, booze, private jets, hardscrabble CIA pitbulls and it's all true - a little rah-rah-USA at times though.

a newer paul theroux book - "dark star safari" - where he improvises his way from cairo to cape town. sometimes he sounds like the biggest douche in the universe, other times he pens these amazingly robust descriptions and observations that are almost better than being there. some eye-opening realizations on the impact of foreign aid too.

cue jokes about being a 15-year-old with dreads and a Rage Against the Machine hoodie: my friend just actually lent me the che guevara biography too, after i read The Motorcycle Diaries.... halfway through right now, it's pretty interesting, didn't know shit about the cuban revolution, what a story!
hardtimes Wrote:just clicked randomly on one of the previous pages and saw that someone was reading deleuze...who's an author I've been meaning to get around to for ages. I was just wondering, whether you've gotta trawl though tonnes of nietzsche and freud to get your head around it, or if it's at all accessible. little help?

depends on what you want to read. i started with deleuze' kafka "interpretation", which was quite enlightening but needs a basic knowledge of what (and how) kafka wrote of course.

having read nietzsche before is never a mistake, especially not when it comes to teh postmodern french guys.
the relational database dictionary

kinda dry to say the least
i've been reading foucault's "history of sexuality vol.1" and "discipline and punish" for school...and quite frankly, even after revisiting it, they both hold up like whoa. foucault is THE BOOM-BOOM.

i've also been reading lots of comics:

[Image: 1560977299.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]
just finished reading this collection of comics by joe sacco. i'm kind of in love with joe sacco. reading "palestine" and his series on bosnia and serbia pretty much changed my life. he also has this comic in "notes from a defeatist" about working in a library, which is the truest depiction of library page drudgery that i've ever seen, and a perspicacious comment on the client base. this particular book is a collection of pieces loosely based around rock and roll. so it includes a previously published collection documenting a time when he sold t-shirts for his friend's band on their european tour, an homage to the rolling stones, an homage to the blues, various grunge and alt-rock posters and ephemera.

[Image: 1894937872.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65933104_.jpg]
i read yoshihiro tatsumi's "abandon the old in tokyo" yesterday. it's a collection of short comics collected together and edited by adrian tomine for drawn and quarterly. tatsumi created the manga sub-genre gekiga, which is a darker more realistic style of cartooning. and boy, oh boy, were they dark. one of the stories culiminated in an old, unemployed man, the former president of a company who'd written a bad cheque and consequently went bankrupt and lost his business, finding sexual fulfillment with a dog. i understand the point, but it was still pretty uncomfortable subway reading (i'm always paranoid that people are reading over my shoulder).

[Image: peculia.jpg]
i also finished reading richard sala's "peculia", a collection of comics featuring the title plucky heroine, meandering her way through sala's particularly macabre world, populated by creeping monsters, masked villians, and other things with questionable intents. the characters are all very unique and quirky (peculia starts every day with a bowl of cereal, fetched by her faithful and extremely capable butler, ambrose) and i adore the drawing style, which has been compared to edward gorey. it's a slightly simplified and more stark edward gorey, with a blockier composition.
"Seven Brothers" by Aleksis Kivi
Just read...

[Image: 0375424156.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37866765_.jpg]

[Image: 0224080512.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61237665_.jpg]

[Image: 0140240438.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056420312_.jpg]

[Image: 1840237872.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1074509425_.jpg]

and am currently reading...

I am Legend by Richard Matheson which so far is brilliant

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
stacks Wrote:[Image: 0224080512.01._ss500_sclzzzzzzz_v61237665_.jpg]

nice one Xyxthumbs

what made you read that? Smile
vox Wrote:[Image: 1894937872.01._aa240_sclzzzzzzz_v65933104_.jpg]
i read yoshihiro tatsumi's "abandon the old in tokyo" yesterday. it's a collection of short comics collected together and edited by adrian tomine for drawn and quarterly. tatsumi created the manga sub-genre gekiga, which is a darker more realistic style of cartooning. and boy, oh boy, were they dark. one of the stories culiminated in an old, unemployed man, the former president of a company who'd written a bad cheque and consequently went bankrupt and lost his business, finding sexual fulfillment with a dog. i understand the point, but it was still pretty uncomfortable subway reading (i'm always paranoid that people are reading over my shoulder).

Xyxthumbs

great book. id also recommened 'good-bye and other stories' from the same author which, though first published in the late 80's is still available in large format softcover in some comic shops.

ponent mon http://www.ponentmon.com/new_pages/english/princ.html is a great source for garo style 'serious' manga translations. of particular note are jiro taniguchi's 'the walking man', and 'doing time' by kazuichi hanawa, which is very sacco-like...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What I Watched on TV recently... firefinga 26 25,605 15th February 2018, 18:46
Last Post: Muttley
  RELEASE Recently on Soundcloud.... Forthcoming DAAT releases firefinga 4 7,221 19th September 2015, 09:42
Last Post: firefinga
  Gaming frenzy, what have you been playing recently? socialengineer 1,165 474,882 29th June 2015, 09:25
Last Post: firefinga
  Has anyone seen A Guy Called Gerald live somewhat recently? Should I go? :) Warbreaker 2 4,444 11th June 2011, 06:58
Last Post: Warbreaker
  Looking for someone who ordered from the Subtle Audio Shop recently - "Vanechop" ? Code 6 6,574 15th April 2011, 07:47
Last Post: Statto