So subverts what have you been reading recently?

923 Replies, 597419 Views

Ann Leckie - Ancillary Justice

I just love this passage:

Quote:She was probably male, to judge from the angular mazelike patterns quilting her shirt. I wasn't entirely certain. It wouldn't have mattered, if I had been in Radch space. Radchaai don't care much about gender, and the language they speak – my own first language – doesn't mark gender in any way. This language we were speaking now did, and I could make trouble for myself if I used the wrong forms. It didn't help that cues meant to distinguish gender changed from place to place, sometimes radically, and rarely made much sense to me.

Cool
Anthony Peake - Opening the Doors to Percepetion
Ian Helliwell - Tape Leaders - A compendium of early British electronic music composers
Mac Tonnies - The Cryptoterrestrials
Jacques Vallee - Messengers of deception
Jacques Vallee - Passport to Magonia
Dennis McKenna - Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss
(16th October 2016, 18:13)Euphony Wrote: Ian Helliwell - Tape Leaders - A compendium of early British electronic music composers

Interesting title, may be worthy of looking into
Music critic for the Tally Ho
Yes Xyxthumbs
Found a copy of this in Costco.

[Image: 51nAvNXU-NL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
If you like Arthurian legend, I'd recommend Sword at Sunset by Rosemary Sutcliff. It's a non-magical (i.e. with no Merlin) retelling of the story from an imagined historical perspective with Arthur as a post-Roman warrior king.

Twothumbs

She's actually done a three-volume reworking of Le Morte D'Arthur as well, but I've not read those.
Who we were before ~ Leah Mercer.
Thanks Statto, sounds like an interesting retelling of the Arthur stories. Xyxthumbs
Arthurian Trilogy and Sword at Sunset added to Amazon cart. I'm excited. I found a copy of Geoffrey Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain in a bookstore in Texas this summer, so this will go nicely with my collection lol.

Grin
Duffahthumbu
All Preacher graphic novels. Currently on the final one: Alamo.
Juliet Jacques - Trans: A Memoir

Twothumbs
music: noir music - dark stars 003 album (tribal house - zip deejay subscription)
book: matt haig - reasons to stay alive up to 50% of book
ufc: 50 fights per 5 fighter main sponsored roster, won fights with 1-3 medals grained
cooking: new creation is my fish teriyaki biryani, bred from indian recipe books, recipe on request
A book on the early stages of Mohammed/Islam
Music critic for the Tally Ho
Something else i have been reading to write is a "How To Be Happy" Stephen Fry life lists book i got for my 29th birthday i received from my beautiful parents. 

Upon reading "list bands you have seen", one big page of all the ones I really remember in 15 minutes was written out. It does not have to be exhaustive, like most exercise in life, to be beneficial...and most times people overlap in my favourite gig experiences. Smile
I read a Wire magazine book on Morton Feldman republished in The Boomerang for April; it concerns his piano and string quartet work specifically. Smile
Robert Webb - How Not to Be a Boy

very entertaining Xyxthumbs Hahaha
Sandman graphic novels.
Rex Stout: "Where There's a Will"
Thanks for reminding me of the gender book How Not To Be A Boy Statto. It's available on Audible. I think I might use my credit for the month on it. The deal i get charges me £7.99 per 31 days of normal time. You can save books in your library like a bookcase.

I have been previously reading The Chimp Paradox.
Www.sherdog.com

Fighting forum, after 15 years of last working.
Josephine Cox - outcast
The wire 406, letters page
Brilliant one letter issue
Rebecca Solnit - Call Them by Their True Names: American Crises (and Essays)

Xyxthumbs
Malla Nunn- A Beautiful Place To Die
Heyish yayish, i'm playful and tipsish.

Just got home and intend to sort out some reading on The Hunger Games - Mockingjay.

I bought the book for 10p at Animal Sanctuary Charity Shop, The Cotswolds.

Enjoyed "Plan The Escape" by BFL/Bjork on the soundtrack to the film.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What I Watched on TV recently... firefinga 26 25,591 15th February 2018, 18:46
Last Post: Muttley
  RELEASE Recently on Soundcloud.... Forthcoming DAAT releases firefinga 4 7,221 19th September 2015, 09:42
Last Post: firefinga
  Gaming frenzy, what have you been playing recently? socialengineer 1,165 474,760 29th June 2015, 09:25
Last Post: firefinga
  Has anyone seen A Guy Called Gerald live somewhat recently? Should I go? :) Warbreaker 2 4,442 11th June 2011, 06:58
Last Post: Warbreaker
  Looking for someone who ordered from the Subtle Audio Shop recently - "Vanechop" ? Code 6 6,571 15th April 2011, 07:47
Last Post: Statto