Noise cancelling headphones

20 Replies, 4009 Views

Any recommendations?

After a pair of the smaller ones I think Smile
Cheap, but very good for the price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-156407-The-...B00001P4XA
They are cheap. Jeez.
Sir Loris Of Crowthorne Wrote:They are cheap. Jeez.

Indeed, and great for work! I've had my pair over 10 months. Convenient, uncostly and with very good sound, better than the spec and size would have you believe Smile
hey sr loris

i thought this said noise-cancelling tho? you mean specifically the powered phones that do the phase cancellation thing? Baffled
Muttley Wrote:
Sir Loris Of Crowthorne Wrote:They are cheap. Jeez.

Indeed, and great for work! I've had my pair over 10 months. Convenient, uncostly and with very good sound, better than the spec and size would have you believe Smile

The reviews look really good Smile
apparently the foam isn't very good for your ears Neutral
u mean it causes canal cancer or somethin?

im done with stickin things in my ears, except earplugs when absolutely necessary. had a pair of sony somethin-71s and wearin em for months made my ear portals very sensitive (the shures were even worse, ow!!! the silicons came in 3 sizes: giganormous, sluice, and log).

all about bose tri-ports now, same idea, nothin jabbed up in anywhere Xyxthumbs
Sir Loris Of Crowthorne Wrote:apparently the foam isn't very good for your ears Neutral

Source?
trope Wrote:all about bose tri-ports now, same idea, nothin jabbed up in anywhere Xyxthumbs

where can i read about these? Wave
Sir Loris Of Crowthorne Wrote:apparently the foam isn't very good for your ears Neutral
heard that also the way they are built can cause some further problems with the ears.. can anyone confirm?
[quote:80566926ed="twisted individual"]clipz is a badbwoy[/quote]
muttley Wrote:
trope Wrote:all about bose tri-ports now, same idea, nothin jabbed up in anywhere Xyxthumbs

where can i read about these? Wave

http://review.zdnet.com/bose_triport_in_...50146.html

covers the pros and cons pretty well..it's true about their feeling unstable, but mine dont fall out. the medium eargel is a bit too small, so they wiggle a bit, and the large is just right but makes my ear-dish start to ache after an hour or so. all seem to agree that the sound is great though, and id 2nd that.

nothing could be worse than the shures. worst phones i ever bought, and it's annoyin cos you cant return somethin youve stuck in orifices (or sell it to friends Hahaha)
amon Wrote:
heard that also the way they are built can cause some further problems with the ears.. can anyone confirm?

aye more information and facts on the above please

did someone mention canal cancer?!!
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
Don't have concrete facts, just saw it mentioned on a forum, aswell as on Amazon.

I wear earplugs sometimes - and they can irritate.
sir loris of crowthorne Wrote:don't have concrete facts, just saw it mentioned on a forum, aswell as on amazon.

i wear earplugs sometimes - and they can irritate.

if you've got the forum links at hand, and it isn't too much trouble, i'd appreciate having the oppurtunity to sift through pointers myself. touchwood i haven't had any problems, but if there's more contrasting info besides that singular case on the amazon reviews then i sure as hell want to have a look at it! especially since a lot of my listening time is through headphones and not my monitors at home.

the only issues i can fathom are the expanding of the ear canal due to prolonged pressure to widen when listening, with infections perhaps arising from a related change of listening climate>signals - ie the guy on the train who goes from high to low noise very regularly.

Chin

@trope - sounds good. i'll have a closer look later. thanks.
Well i do a lot of audio typing and pretty much have crap headphones with foam covers in my ears for 70% of the day....i have already attempted to get custom ear plugs out of my work place but they were having none of it - fair play they sent me for a hearing test.
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/...d-out.html
well it's true that crappy earphones will wreck your hearing, and the in-ear style ones are the worst culprits for this.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIE...ones_index

I've been using these boys the last few months, and although they are bulky, it's the only con in anotherwise brilliant pair of headphones. Not only do they sound great, I find I can listen to music at a lower volume than I used to and still hear everything nicely; which I reckon is great for my long-term hearing.

Not like the git who sat beside me on the bus this morning with his shit ipod headphones. I could still hear his headphones over my own and mine are noise-cancelling! the other passengers must've been raging. ever notice how the ones with the loud headphones always have bad taste in music? weird.
heheeh... what mainly is hearable in shitty phones are those white, high-eq sounds, which even when heard at the same vol as bass can be more destructive for your ears. this is when the music hurts.
ok... Smile sorry if this comes across a bit abrubt, but:

when i bought these headphones, i had already weighed up the pros and cons of hi treble ear-buggering being less favoured to balanced canal-noise blocking.

that's why i bought the koss phones.

and since i don't work in consistently noisy environments, my monitoring level is contrastingly low to say, the anomaly who received ear infections in the amazon article - one who takes the tube and bus regularly, environments which comes with higher decibels as standard.

my questions remain seated in the field of how, if and why these headphones, which are proven, say from new scientist test linked above to cause less hearing damage are getting a bad rep over other designs.

further questioning is raised my end when this bad rep comes from only word of mouth or marginal cases, and not 'help your hearing' styled broadcasts. indeed, such broadcasts as far as i see are only positive about the benefits of noise cancelling headphones, in ear or out.

breaker, your recommendation is no doubt of interest to loris, but the ground i'm trying to cover here is for noise cancelling headphone wearers like you, albeit of the 'in ear' variety. my hearing is of great concern to me , rest assured Yes

(and as you can see from this large amount of text Hahaha)

on a side note regarding the ns article,

"they found that all of the music players produced similar loudness at similar device volume settings, but that different headphones altered this loudness.
on average, both earbud and canalphone earphones were 5.5 decibels louder than supra-aural headphones."

simple - earbud and canal ports sit closer to the ear. i do find this paragraph awkwardly open to misinterpretation for a casual read.

and as for length, under 9 hours daily, at low/moderate volume is within their guidelines by some shot.

again, apologies if i'm being abrubt, just wanted to be 100% clear on this.

Xyxthumbs
@ Breaker - ive got the QC3s and theyre fuckin dandy. particularly useful on airplanes and trains. a 5-10 point volume reduction is possible, and u can listen to things lk zoviet-france's "angelus" and hear every nuance under any conditions.

im not just concerned abt hearin loss, but about impacted wax (Oops gross, sorry) which i had to have removed from my ear at a cost of US$180. and my ear canal gettin stretched and generally bein kinda itchy (yup yeah gross) from silicon keepin it from breathin 4-7 hours a day. wearin earplugs didnt help either, if i still went out much id get some made

@B - i woz bein facetious abt the canal cancer Hahaha

one side of the Boses fell out today, after i ran up 2 flights of stairs in wooden clogs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headphones denaris 13 2,869 12th October 2013, 10:32
Last Post: denaris
  Noise For Noise's Sake Muttley 29 18,570 22nd March 2013, 13:27
Last Post: Muttley
  In Ear Headphones beckett 13 2,186 11th May 2010, 18:08
Last Post: thush-ara
  custom made in-ear headphones, or sennheiser hd 25-1 II's??? proto j 6 1,885 11th August 2008, 11:12
Last Post: Law
  Please recommend me some good dj headphones davetrax 21 3,386 7th December 2007, 05:25
Last Post: Shiva