BOBULES SYNTH TIPS PART 1: taming a wild comb filter

2 Replies, 2535 Views

i have been playing with the comb filter on my modular and have found most of the time when its sounding best its to wild and hard to control, then last night i had a brainwave..

get a second vca triggered by another envelope generator and run the output of the combfilter through this so you have this in the chain

osc - vca ->

highpassfilter - combfilter - vca - mixer
lowpass filter - mixer

split the raw osc after the 1st vca, send one to highpass and one to lowpass with both filters being modulated from the same source (i used a mix of a clocked lfo and an unclocked lfo) and also modulate the combfilter from the same source.

then you can get real nice bottom end with the lowpass section and wild but envelope tailored combfiltering on the high end. all filters modulate in sync and if you blend the two splits just right it sounds massive.

you can also wack the resonance up on the combfilter so it starts to self oscillate and tailor the crazy comb tails with the envelope!

awesome!
sometimes its the simplest things.....
bobule Wrote:i have been playing with the comb filter on my modular and have found most of the time when its sounding best its to wild and hard to control, then last night i had a brainwave..

get a second vca triggered by another envelope generator and run the output of the combfilter through this so you have this in the chain

osc - vca ->

highpassfilter - combfilter - vca - mixer
lowpass filter - mixer

split the raw osc after the 1st vca, send one to highpass and one to lowpass with both filters being modulated from the same source (i used a mix of a clocked lfo and an unclocked lfo) and also modulate the combfilter from the same source.

then you can get real nice bottom end with the lowpass section and wild but envelope tailored combfiltering on the high end. all filters modulate in sync and if you blend the two splits just right it sounds massive.

you can also wack the resonance up on the combfilter so it starts to self oscillate and tailor the crazy comb tails with the envelope!

awesome!
sometimes its the simplest things.....
I wish my brain knew enough about synthesis to make that simple.
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
go on bob, thats what i like to see, cant wait to hear what youve been coming up with

Xyxthumbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  envelope following filter with kontakt 3 lament 0 3,072 25th September 2011, 21:28
Last Post: lament
  i am Looking for a good free vst auto filter lament 4 4,613 12th June 2011, 13:22
Last Post: denaris
  Morphing filter for Ableton (inc free rack download) Paradigm X 0 2,626 26th March 2010, 15:28
Last Post: Paradigm X
  Studio tips fanu 35 13,483 15th January 2009, 22:20
Last Post: djneils
  Moog LP SII Filter, Modulation, ADSR MIDI changes in Logic 8 tutstyty 2 4,030 20th December 2008, 01:02
Last Post: tutstyty