what is SC Vol.3 ?!?
0%
0 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

ATTN everybody

135 Replies, 115947 Views

statto Wrote:two things:

1) sc volumes have no art because to me artwork is just a waste of money

2) people don't have to like all the tracks — the records are so much cheaper that they're getting a lot of tracks for 'free'

Xyxthumbs

buyer perception is what its all about though.

1) artwork can be good because it gives an attractive 'face' to the music - i agree that it can cause an unnacceptable rise in cost though. scratch and sniff is prohibitively expensive btw... found that out when we nearly did a 'smell the fear' cd. Lol

2) you may see it that way, but i imagine many buyers percieve that a third (or whatever) of their money is going on tracks they dont want.

selling to people is (unfortunately) as much about managing the perception of your product as it is about producing good product. your approach is laudable, and in a perfect world you would be able to sell these with no problems, but of course...
you should hire droid & myself as your marketing corespondents...i will do it for free subvert central buttons & hats & tunes & YOUR SOUL!
statto Wrote:two things:

1) sc volumes have no art because to me artwork is just a waste of money

2) people don't have to like all the tracks — the records are so much cheaper that they're getting a lot of tracks for 'free'

Xyxthumbs

ok but, you can't look at it that way.

a lame analogy but i think the point is made is

if i, a shop sold a caburys chocolate bar that you as the consumer liked of 35g, for 45p, or a own brand value pack (i use this label because of the no frills nature of the sc volumes) of 50g for 50p. do you really think evey person first instinct is about the quantity of chocolate provided in the large bar makes that the best or even good purchase? or that the knowledge they'll enjoy the whole 100% of the more expensive bar makes that the one to go for?

i mean seriously the amount of free music about both legal and illegal on the internet, you think putting out (imo) random tunes fueled by a self interest and calling them 'free' because you're pay for the rest you might enjoy, is going cut it as marketing tool (on the same internet all this free stuff is on) then you've got a harsh lesson to learn, sorry.

your logic only works if the tunes 'liked' are available to purchase without the rest but the price is still the same, then yes they are some tunes seen to be as 'free'.

but they are not, so you know......

the only time i perceive tunes to be free are with tunes i actually like (and even then there's a logic/reason behind it ie. cd/digi tunes not on vinyl versions). never ones i don't, those are perceived as an acceptable expense. unfortunately you don't have that, and it looks like a percentage of the forum see this as a unacceptable expense at the current time.

learn from d-bridge, respond to your market, look how many sale he got after the attitude club post (can be seen by looking at the thread here and on dnba).

(though you have to ignore the whole never released digital thing Teef )

interested to hear your thoughts on this, and apologizes if parts don't make sense
Metric Wrote:Interested to hear your thoughts on this, and apologizes if parts don't make sense

It all makes sense Kisskiss

But...

Metric Wrote:Learn from D-Bridge, respond to your market, look how many sale he got after the Attitude Club post (can be seen by looking at the thread here and on dnba).

Fuck that. I hate marketing and promotion and the whole profit-orientated bullshit of it all.

SC was set up as a community label, to put tunes we liked on vinyl (because vinyl's nice), to give our producers another outlet for their music, etc etc – and started out with a grand in donations to do just that.

I decided to run it completely non-profit, to work out the costs for a small pressing in advance, and price the records at break even rate – assuming they all sold – because it seemed the appropriate thing to do.

Essentially, SC is not selling anything. It's just making things available. But in order to keep doing that it needs support, and if that support is not forthcoming – i.e. if people don't want enough of what we're releasing, or have released, or might later release – it's obviously going to stop.

Metric Wrote:I mean seriously the amount of free music about both legal and illegal on the internet, you think putting out (imo) random tunes fueled by a self interest and calling them 'free' BECAUSE you're pay for the rest you MIGHT enjoy, is going cut it as marketing tool (on the same internet all this free stuff is on) then you've got a harsh lesson to learn, sorry.

It's not a marketing tool. I hate marketing. It was just me complaining. I like complaining Smile

As for the randomness of the tunes on SC3, well yes, they are rather random. That's the point really. SC is not a dnb forum. People like all sorts of stuff. So SC3 branches out a bit to reflect wider interests, though still with four out of six sides coming from our producers (Trax, Macc, AO, Fanu).

And every side has had someone here bigging it up. So if there's something on SC3 that someone doesn't like, I suggest......they try harder! It's not supposed to be easy listening :P

Kingstatto

PS the chocolate analogy doesn't work. Cadbury's sales are partly due to brand recognition, sure. But mostly people don't buy "own brand" chocolate because it's tasteless plastic.
Then stop putting out tasteless wax Teef
Metric Wrote:Then stop putting out tasteless wax Teef

it's acquired taste, not tasteless

you should work harder at it :P
Statto Wrote:It was just me complaining. I like complaining Smile

me too! Homerdrool
Statto Wrote:Essentially, SC is not selling anything. It's just making things available. But in order to keep doing that it needs support, and if that support is not forthcoming – i.e. if people don't want enough of what we're releasing, or have released, or might later release – it's obviously going to stop.

And herein lies the problem - you are selling something - whether its for profit or not is immaterial.

And yes, the chocolate analogy is wrong. What would be more apt is to say that you have 2 products:

1) Chocolate bar at 50p
2) Chocolate bar plus free aniseed balls at 50p

The aniseed balls might be free, but as most chocolate lovers don't like aniseed balls, they will be more likely just to buy the chocolate alone... in this case Id rather get more aniseed balls and no chocolate!

BTW - I love the music policy and the whole ethos and I would in fact prefer it if there was more freaky stuff on these releases - but you simply can't sell these days without some marketing and promotion...
droid Wrote:And yes, the chocolate analogy is wrong. What would be more apt is to say that you have 2 products:

1) Chocolate bar at 50p
2) Chocolate bar plus free aniseed balls at 50p

The aniseed balls might be free, but as most chocolate lovers don't like aniseed balls, they will be more likely just to buy the chocolate alone... in this case Id rather get more aniseed balls and no chocolate!

Applause Hahaha
Back in the day I used to get 20 aniseed balls for 10p (old money) a Ha'penny each!

They were the sweetest things you could buy in Finglas at the time. Lol
droid Wrote:Back in the day I used to get 20 aniseed balls for 10p (old money) a Ha'penny each!

Hyper
I do not buy vinyl anymore. All digital now.

There was a time I used to buy some dnb on vinyl but only because vinyl was the only way of getting those tunes back then. With the prevalence of online mp3/flac stores now, it doesn't seem worth it.

As for other genres, I can't justify buying (for example) a dubstep tune on vinyl because I only like so much of it and once you start, you have to keep buying tunes of a genre on vinyl so you've got enough for a set. That just ain't gonna happen.

Besides, Traktor and Ableton are rocking my world right now. Big time. I could never go back. CD's maybe. Fact is, I don't have a record player, I can't scratch and I don't find any real advantages to vinyl over digital for myself.

It's not that I don't want to support the scene. I just don't want SC3 to sit on my shelves, like SC2 has ever since I bought it. Release digital and I'll be your best customer.
lephrenic Wrote:it's not that i don't want to support the scene. i just don't want sc3 to sit on my shelves, like sc2 has ever since i bought it. release digital and i'll be your best customer.

when i can afford to pay macc to master them Xyxthumbs
Icon_question because they've only been mastered for vinyl purposes?
and because Heathmans lost the masters Neutral
Statto Wrote:and because Heathmans lost the masters Neutral

Icon_eek Spank
Just a suggestion but if you want to get them mastered by Bob.Why dont you just take preorders off of all the people that want it on mp3 format. Once x-amount of people payed you can pay Bob a bit for mastering and from then on any mp3 sales will get you some of your money back for the loss of vinyl sales.
For News/Audio/Bookings/Videos www.djtrax.wordpress.com
that's an idea Chin

though i'm not writing off selling all the vinyl Icon_razz
Im not suggesting you are mate.But it makes sense i think.The poeple who want to buy it on mp3 `should` be able to purchase it. If it ends up that you have a bit extra itll help offset some of the account
Statto Wrote:I hate marketing

This thread is market research Hahaha
Hahaha
Indeed it is and like it or not mate you are using marketing. Maybe not the type of marketing id personally go for but you are marketing
dgoHn Wrote:This thread is market research Hahaha

no, it's just an excuse for more grumbling Wink
tombola
statto Wrote:Hugs

how's tings in new orleans? Wave

nice and cool-ish today. lovely, even. i should get off the fucking computer and go do something. Hahaha
anyway, boh sc and whatnot. i promise i'll buy this very soon. beebe has even been bugging me about it, so hopefully sooner rather than later.