2 weeks

101 Replies, 12327 Views

Good thing you saved a bit of cash with that Ikea Rack Hahaha
Does the job admirably man!!
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Badman wallpaper, too...
So why was this guy selling this beautiful beasty in the first place? t'would of been mighty hard to part with by the sounds of it Grin
he's the only person who imports them in the uk, an audio pr guru and former gold record-winning producer and a lovely lovely lovely bloke.

can't say enough good things abotu mr louis austin Xyxthumbs
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Slothrop Wrote:Badman wallpaper, too...

^^^^^
that was epic

these kind of things make you really appreciate the difference between the theory that applied naively gives you a crappy plugin eq and the level that proper engineers can go to making gear musical..

reminds me of some tosser on gearslutz slagging off paul frindle and saying that he knows how a compressor works and it would be easy to program a plugin just as good and he could do it in five minutes... yeah... Roll
tyler Wrote:that was epic

these kind of things make you really appreciate the difference between the theory that applied naively gives you a crappy plugin eq and the level that proper engineers can go to making gear musical..
Erm, have you actually heard it yet?
I'll do some clips asap... You can hear it for yourself.
Cool! Hyper Before / after plz!

Not being cheeky / cynical / rude, it's just always more interesting and informative to hear stuff for yourself...
Plus if it's as good as you say, I'm kind of expecting that hearing a five second sample of it in action will enable me to breath underwater or something...
Slothrop Wrote:
tyler Wrote:that was epic

Erm, have you actually heard it yet?

what does that have to with it? i meant generally, there is a big difference between high end gear and a cheapo plugin even though they supposedly do the same thing, and the engineers who make these things really know their shit. i think that comes across from macqs post. although he may just be lying the sneaky cunt so without sound clips who knows.
Sorry, but in general there's an awful lot of shite talked on the internet about what things sound like and I think a great deal of it is there because of people making judgements about pieces of software or kit or even about whole classes of software or kit that they haven't actually used based on stuff that they've read. It's such a subjective thing that I'm not really happy to make judgements about stuff until I've heard it for myself.

Differences of scale play a big part eg I could imagine some people who'd say, based on Bob's post "oh, if you can't get your mixes sounding good it's probably because you're using a UAD Pultec, you really need a H/W Gyratec to get pro results" which I think even Bob, once he's calmed down, would say is going a bit far. I'd be interested to hear some samples because I'd be interested to see if the difference is something that my mum would comment on or whether it's something that I could only just hear but that makes a big difference to someone like Bob who has better ears, more experience and better monitoring than me and is more attuned to the little difference that make things that bit nicer...
:P
Grin
Macc Wrote:Does the job admirably man!!

Oh I know, I have one too. But my cheap rack houses actually cheap gear Hahaha
I am intending on writing back to all that up there ^

But for now, it's just to say this has changed the game totally. Man things are sounding good now I am starting to get my head round it. It's sooo nice.
Quote:Sorry, but in general there's an awful lot of shite talked on the internet about what things sound like and I think a great deal of it is there because of people making judgements about pieces of software or kit or even about whole classes of software or kit that they haven't actually used based on stuff that they've read. It's such a subjective thing that I'm not really happy to make judgements about stuff until I've heard it for myself.

I agree with this to the extent that I both agree and disagree with you Baffled Hahaha

That is, hearing a flat switch in and out and thinking 'yeah that sounds nice' is one thing, and allows *some* assessment. Switching a full eq setting allows some further judgement of it. But as you suggest, USING the motherfucker is something else.

No doubt (well, maybe some) that with time and effort and a fair bit of work you could achieve a similar tone to it with x plugin combination, crafty processing, jiggery pokery etc # . But this does it 'like that' in one box, at once, with minimal processing for best results. And as I am always harping on about, all processing does damage, and the less you can get away with, the better. So a convoluted plugin chain of X number of plugs to match the spectral distribution, warmth, width etc that the box gives you 'for free' by switching it in would no doubt be less transparent, less easy to work with and far more damaging to the audio in trying to get there (and probably wouldn't anyway).

Anyway, that's getting off the point. Results are all that matters, and it delivers Smile I am learning very fast that it isn't a magic panacea - shite in => shite out, but it really is some sweet shite. Getting the signal primed before even switching it in is the way to go. All corrections should be done before the signal hits it, then you can just boost. everyone knows cutting should be first as it sounds less destructive to the audio, but when boosting is this fat and transparent I have to learn to forget everything I knew.

# Ok, so thinking about just how nice the thing is, maybe there's quite a lot of doubt Teef

Quote:Differences of scale play a big part eg I could imagine some people who'd say, based on Bob's post "oh, if you can't get your mixes sounding good it's probably because you're using a UAD Pultec, you really need a H/W Gyratec to get pro results" which I think even Bob, once he's calmed down, would say is going a bit far. I'd be interested to hear some samples because I'd be interested to see if the difference is something that my mum would comment on or whether it's something that I could only just hear but that makes a big difference to someone like Bob who has better ears, more experience and better monitoring than me and is more attuned to the little difference that make things that bit nicer...

It's a fair point - a lot people simply don't give a shit. But that's the reason I worked for it, bought it and will be using it - because I and other people know that I really do give a shit, to an obsessive level. That's why they pay me to look at their stuff, right? That's why I work so hard on bastard mixes. To have a tool like this that enables me to get better results, faster (once I truly get to know it inside out). That's the kind of thing people do hear, better results. And generally the faster you can get good results in mastering, the better the overall job will be. So in that regard it is worth every penny, or will prove to be. Better results, easier, faster. Simple as that.

So to kind of sum up, once I am at the level I am now at with the Avalon (which continues to throw pleasant surprises at me) and know it inside out, I very strongly believe I will reach a level I couldn't have attained with UAD pultec et al. And when listening I don't care (or even think) if it is x preamp or an Mbox or HW or plugin or whatever so long as it sounds nice. But when working I want best results, fast. This will make that easy, and that isn't something internet clips will do justice to Smile

That said, I'll do some clips of suitable (and permitted) material as soon as poss. Smile It really does soound fahkin nice!!!

BTW Bit of a waffley post - started it in a text doc on my work PC desktop before the weekend and finished off today afetr several days with it.
Macc Wrote:
Quote:Sorry, but in general there's an awful lot of shite talked on the internet about what things sound like and I think a great deal of it is there because of people making judgements about pieces of software or kit or even about whole classes of software or kit that they haven't actually used based on stuff that they've read. It's such a subjective thing that I'm not really happy to make judgements about stuff until I've heard it for myself.

I agree with this to the extent that I both agree and disagree with you Baffled Hahaha
Did you spot how I avoided actually saying what does and does not sound the same as what else? The only experience I have of really good digital EQs let alone serious analogue ones is the results I've heard from other people, so by my own arguments I can't make any judgements. Grin

I've just seen enough stupid internet flamewars about (for instance) whether X piece of software accurately models an analogue filter or not, normally conducted between people who've never actually used an analogue synth, that I try to avoid jumping to conclusions. If I had 50p for everyone who's held forth on exactly how a 'real moog' behaves without having used one, I'd probably be able to afford a real moog...

So yeah, if it's getting you better results faster then it's cool by me! Wait until I have money and tunes and I'll share in the joy...
Properly starting to get comfortable with it now...

For a while I have been it on top of my existing stuff, you know... adding it to the pile. But it is just soooo much better to have the bare minimum. Get the tone right with this and it seems like you don't need a squillion corrections any more. It sort of hit me this evening when I did a fucking NICE master in about 15 minutes (!) ... why have I still been using so much other shit? I just don't need to.

Lovesmilie Lovesmilie Lovesmilie Lovesmilie Lovesmilie Lovesmilie Lovesmilie
good to hear Icon_yippee

i'm really pushing minimal adjustments after our talk Wink
Macc Wrote:why have I still been using so much other shit? I just don't need to.

So can i have your Avalon then? Teef
The two of them together, with the tfpro, are a DYNAMITE package.

Homerdrool
Now I want an API 2500 and then I'll stop.

honest Teef
Macc Wrote:Now I want an API 2500 and then I'll stop.

honest Teef

That's the shit right there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some reasons for me being pissed off these last few weeks dsp 8 1,887 8th October 2004, 16:32
Last Post: subvert