Getting really tiny big peaks?

9 Replies, 4036 Views

Well I’ve been trying to mix down a tune and every couple of bars there is a big peak in the db compared to the rest of the tune, the whole tune is at around -2db but the little peaks are at -3db. The peak is really small (i.e. it’s like for a fraction of a second), would this be considered ok for a mixdown, or is it worth spending more time on it? I have been playing around with filters and eq to get the bass to sit nicely with the beats, and feel like I can’t be arsed to spend more time trying to get rid of these decibel peaks that occur for a fraction of a second.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Lets make d+b special for 2009!
there's some inconsistancy here ... you talk about big peaks, then the tune is generally -2dB and the little peaks are -3dB ?
It sounds like what you're looking for is a compressor or limiter on the master bus to get these peaks in proportion to the rest of the tune.
can you put up a waveform screenshot?

I don't really get what you're talking about.
Also, does it sound good?
if so, who cares what it looks like on the meters. it's below 0db afterall.
RhythmicNature Wrote:Well I’ve been trying to mix down a tune and every couple of bars there is a big peak in the db compared to the rest of the tune, the whole tune is at around -2db but the little peaks are at -3db. The peak is really small (i.e. it’s like for a fraction of a second), would this be considered ok for a mixdown, or is it worth spending more time on it? I have been playing around with filters and eq to get the bass to sit nicely with the beats, and feel like I can’t be arsed to spend more time trying to get rid of these decibel peaks that occur for a fraction of a second.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

do you mean most of the tune is at -3dB and the peaks are at -2dB ?

lower the overall level by a couple of dB and bounce it ready for mastering
I dont think its a problem. Xyxthumbs

Unless you have mixed through a comp already (which by the sounds of it you havent) dont bother trying to even things out. We're not talking big peaks here and adding a comp at the end of the mix will likely affect the tonal balance youve already got.
EZ, sorry for the really bad description. I will try and get a screenshot of it soon and put it up here. Im not using compression and I can't hear anything bad with it, but I know that my explanation wasn't the best so will try and get a picture of it soon. Thanks fior the advice so far!
RhythmicNature Wrote:EZ, sorry for the really bad description. I will try and get a screenshot of it soon and put it up here. Im not using compression and I can't hear anything bad with it, but I know that my explanation wasn't the best so will try and get a picture of it soon. Thanks fior the advice so far!

subvert Wrote:lower the overall level by a couple of dB and bounce it ready for mastering
I dont think its a problem. Xyxthumbs

Unless you have mixed through a comp already (which by the sounds of it you havent) dont bother trying to even things out. We're not talking big peaks here and adding a comp at the end of the mix will likely affect the tonal balance youve already got.

not sure what else you need to know Smile
Ok I will do that, but here's the screenshot anyway.

About a minute into the tune you might just be able to see lines/peaks. I was worried maybe I wasn't eq'ing properly or not doing something right, but will take the advice! Nice1.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RhythmicNature Wrote:Ok I will do that, but here's the screenshot anyway.

About a minute into the tune you might just be able to see lines/peaks. I was worried maybe I wasn't eq'ing properly or not doing something right, but will take the advice! Nice1.

For futiure, ive upped the attachment linmits so you can post bigger screenshots.

Not really important here though...

If you can HEAR something wrong - fix it

If it sounds good to you but you see some peaks 1dB higher that the rest, dont stress it.

Feel free to send the tune over to me on AIM or via our soundcloud box if you want me to take a listen Xyxthumbs
Looks like a perfectly healthy mix to me. Those little spikes you're worrying about are probably a symptom of punchy drums. Oh the woe! Teef
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Nice1, thanks for all the help/advice guys.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tiny portable mixers Ben Kei 8 12,264 25th January 2014, 15:55
Last Post: sackley
  Big BIG mixing desk - man I want it. Macc 28 3,145 30th November 2007, 11:08
Last Post: beckett