that photek break

327 Replies, 295237 Views

subvert central in only 2 page photek thread shocker!
[Image: photekpdx.gif]
Hahaha
'subvert central in only 2 page photek thread shocker!'

Not after this
Paradigm X Wrote:[Image: photekpdx.gif]
We're going all the way now Lol
yeh i dunno...

that smiley had a lot more impact in say 97 or 98, but now it just seems too thugish and mainstream

Teef
It's a full break, it's from the 70s and i payed about £20 a few months ago. They key? flicking it to 45 otherwise you'll never know!

I'm sorry to be a cunt, but thats all i'm gonna say!! Smile
cunt
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
DJFracture Wrote:It's a full break, it's from the 70s and i payed about £20 a few months ago. They key? flicking it to 45 otherwise you'll never know!

Icon_eek At least you could say in which tune Photek used it Smile
i can see this thread getting very big lol
safetyboy Wrote:i can see this thread getting very big lol

well, someone's keeping secrets Roll Teef
Macc Wrote:cunt

Script Lol

You sent me around the internets searching for "Break ID Photek" for about an hour now Mad All I ended up was some useless Plastic Jam references and a couple of breaks he used as Studio Pressure JEDIcrying

Hope your happy now, Fracture! Neutral Wink
I suppose it's not in here and not in here? Roll
Macc Wrote:cunt

Lol
DJFracture Wrote:It's a full break, it's from the 70s and i payed about £20 a few months ago. They key? flicking it to 45 otherwise you'll never know!

well we do have some evidence to go on here, its from the 70s so that narrows it down to 10 years of musical releases. it was released on vinyl at 33rpm, which means its not a 45. its current value is £20, which suggests its probably reasonably well known, otherwise it would be much cheaper. its also the kind of thing that would appeal to a cunt, so its in the cunt music genre.
Hahaha

its like thru the keyhole
is it the break from rings around saturn? i bet it's the break from rings around saturn.
[Image: Dramatic-Prairie-Dog.gif]
panda Wrote:[Image: Dramatic-Prairie-Dog.gif]

Hahaha
Hahaha

ok, ok ,ok... ok

70's..

45 rpm.... ok

then it must be by roger whittaker (who i pointed out a long time ago was the sole inspiration for photeks work)

my guess is http://www.discogs.com/Roger-Whittaker-W...se/1400910

from his more experimental series

whistle on roger
Lol
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
hey guys, just fyi i bought the source direct break for £21. you wouldnt know it though because you have to play it by running the straw from an um bungo carton over it backwards at 78rpm.

conclusive proof that source direct > photek if any was ever needed.
[Image: panda-lol.gif]
From Keyboard (US) , nov 1997:

"Rupert's tracks are a lesson in intricacy, and he takes his sweet time realizing them. 'I work at home most of the time', he says, 'and it's best 'cause I spend such a long time on my tunes. Since the past year and a half, the pace that I work at has slowed down 'cause I spend a lot of time away from the studio just thinking about what I'm going to do next. The way I'm working at the moment...I'd say five weeks, minimum, to complete a track. And that's the reason my music sounds like it does, because I don't care how much time I'm putting into what I'm doing. That's the way I've always treated it.'

"In his home studio, Rupert uses a surprisingly sparse setup. 'The only equipment I use is just the usual,' he reports. He has an E-mu E4 and e64, Cubase on the PC, 'and various outboard effects. Sometimes I'll use a module like the Roland JV-1080, but quite often I'll use the less distinctive sound. I'll find a nothing-in-particular sound, and then work with filters, effects, and EQ to give it some character. I might put a highpass filter envelope on the hi-hats, for example.'

"Speaking of hi-hats, Rupert's beats are among the best in the biz. His secret? 'Well, the thing about the beats is...Like Photek #6, I don't sample any breakbeats off records, and that's why it takes me so long to make tunes. I'm programming like you would on an 808 drum machineby sampling, like, a couple of snare drums and a few hi-hats, and just programming them in. The trick is crafting a drum program into sounding like an old R&B break. That's what I'm tryin' to do, and that's what takes so long. I'm not lifting loops off any records - I'm programming from scratch.

"He'll often grab sounds off vinyl, 'but because I break them down to such small molecules, like a hi-hat, there's no rhythmic content in my samples. And the source can be anything. So sometimes I'll go to a studio and do one big session. Last year I sampled a drum kit, and I did, like, 50 snare drums at different velocities and different areas. And then I did the same with all the cymbals and drums, so I have a stock of flatly EQ'd drum samples. I sample CDs sometimes too.'

"Drums aren't the only live instruments he samples in the studio. Upright and electric basses are also targets of his microphone. 'I've got a few DATs from session I've done where I had bass players come in and play all up and down the scale,' he explains, 'and at different strengths so you get the strings buzzing and all that. Then I'll use EQ to make them sound different.' Those sounds eventually get poured into his E-mu samplers, 'but if I sample something raw,' he cautions, ' very rarely will it sound like that on the record. I do a lot of strange EQ, and things like playing it a few octaves away from the original. I mean, sometimes I might make up a multisample so I can play up and down [the key range], but I do like to take specific notes and play them like I do with the drums - shifted up or down a couple of octaves.'

"Except for the occasional offsite sampling session, everything Photek does to a track is accomplished at home. Including mixdown. However, 'I never really sit and mix a track,' he confides. ' mean, I'll work on it, and adjust it to sound right as it's developing. Then, once I reach a point where I think it's done, I'll record it straight to DAT.' His nearfield monitors of choice are Soundcraft Absolute 2s, 'and a lot of the time I'll just work on Sennheiser headphones. But I think it's more a question of time and experience to get a good mix.'

"If you're anxious to catch Photek in concert anytime soon, don't hold your breath. 'I don't think the live thing is something I'm ever going to get into,' he concludes. ' Because of the way I work, I don't really see playing live as something that makes sense. It's such a laborious process in the studio, and it's so controlled, that to make that happen on the spur of the moment, after it took five weeks, is too unlikely.' "
now that the default is 25 posts/page does that mean we only need to reach page 8 to make this an official photek thread? even so its disgusting we're only around page 2.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone know the break Photek used in... Ben Kei 11 11,187 9th December 2010, 10:31
Last Post: LXC
  Jungle sample disc with sampled Photek break??? WTF??? snaper 20 18,111 15th January 2010, 17:51
Last Post: snaper
  photek - t'raenon - what break? amon'' 3 6,191 25th June 2008, 19:25
Last Post: Clear Concept