that photek break

327 Replies, 295411 Views

Always wondered if the break Photek used so heavily on Modus Operandi is a known one? Those shuffled snares just sound so... well.. shufflin' Lol

I think he first used it on "Rings around Saturn"...

And please leave your "get over it" comments to yourselves, will you? Teef I'm just interested.
Lol

It's the whole 'photek used to be good, now he's shite' thing that I think people should get over.
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Stacks Wrote:Lol

It's the whole 'photek used to be good, now he's shite' thing that I think people should get over.

Stacks, I perfectly know what you meant. Kisskiss

It's just that I don't like to be labelled a backwards-looking person (cause I'm not) - still, I like to talk about those oldschool breaks Smile

I sometimes think what Photek, Source Direct or Danny Breaks think when coming to this forum? (if they do)

"Get over it"? Teef (cause then they can fuck off!)
its the sound of the sweat dripping from his balls onto a carton of um bungo.
Rofl
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Hahaha Lol
Wasnt it the plastic jam break?
no. I mean the other one.

I think he used three main breaks on Modus Operandi - I believe one is made of the same drum sounds as Hidden Camera, just tweaked (first on Rings around Saturn, then Modus Operandi) etc., the second one is the one used in fifth column, the third is that ni ten ichi ryu break (which uses quite some variations but for the sake of simplicity...)

I guess they're custom made (additional percussion sound on the snare, creating that wooden sound etc. etc.)

BUT

I'm quite sure the snares came from the same source. They just work too good together. The "offbeat snares" seem to have a slow attack, hence the strong and "dynamic" shuffle feel.

beat 1 (hidden camera etc.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waSkrjxVhXo (2 mins onwards)

beat 2 (fifth column etc.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGzzSY2FlQ

beat 3 (ni ten ichi ryu etc.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNG87eriHI (beatswitiching with beat 1)

listening to them again I hear there's a lot of comb filter effects, eqing and filtering, so probably it won't be easy to find the original samples. most probably they're even from some unknown drummer from a sample cd.
I'm wrong but the snare sounds a bit like the helicopter snare but pitched and eq'd different. Didn't he sample some shuffles and hats from old jazz breaks? (sure i read that somewhere once)
try this;

http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/show...hp?t=47344
i think he made them himself, didn't he get a drummer in for some of them?
^

yeh i always thought this... and then it was down to the processing afterwards.

but then again ive heard that snare sound in other dnb tracks by people who definetley wouldnt have those samples
cycom Wrote:beat 3 (ni ten ichi ryu etc.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNG87eriHI (beatswitiching with beat 1)

Lovesmilie

makes me drop my panties everytime
Fada Wrote:
cycom Wrote:beat 3 (ni ten ichi ryu etc.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNG87eriHI (beatswitiching with beat 1)

Lovesmilie

makes me drop my panties everytime

Hahaha

Mate, that's too much info!
KJZ = unbelievable
Paradigm X Wrote:try this;

http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/show...hp?t=47344

Cheers, but...

Xaf Wrote:Its not the beats, just random percussive sounds he used....plus a few other good bits.

Baffled

Fada Wrote:^

yeh i always thought this... and then it was down to the processing afterwards.

but then again ive heard that snare sound in other dnb tracks by people who definetley wouldnt have those samples

But THEN again they could've sampled Photek? :P
cycom Wrote:But THEN again they could've sampled Photek? :P

true.

but that cleanly?

its rare i hear a photek track that has nothing but a snare hit/break etc, always seems theres some other sounds in the background
He has said he used to get different hits from different breaks all the time to make his own breaks pitching things up and down until the break sounded natural, so it really could be from anywhere.
He also used to sometimes spend months on just a single tune getting everything perfect and "thats why my tunes sound the way they do"
markgabba Wrote:He has said he used to get different hits from different breaks all the time to make his own breaks pitching things up and down until the break sounded natural, so it really could be from anywhere.
He also used to sometimes spend months on just a single tune getting everything perfect and "thats why my tunes sound the way they do"

yeap, makes sense. if they were full breaks, they would've been used much more often. if you hear those photek trademark beats elsewhere, it always feels a bit "meh" - cause it's so obvious where they came from. bit strange, since nobody has problems using the same funk breaks over and over again. but of course it's different.

@Fada: it's not easy, but it's definitely possible to put those breaks together from snippets where no other sound gets in the way. I sampled the different kick drums and snares from Hidden Camera when it came out, but using them in own breaks always made them sound stale and a bit lame. But I then again what did I know about producing then? Icon_sad
cycom Wrote:...But I then again what did I know about producing then? Icon_sad

did it get any better then Teef
Lol
titanium Wrote:

when I wrote it I thought: who will come up with the obvious joke? Chin not very surprised it's you Teef
cycom Wrote:
titanium Wrote:

when I wrote it I thought: who will come up with the obvious joke? Chin not very surprised it's you Teef

just a shame to let an easy one like that go Kisskiss
agreed Kisskiss
cycom Wrote:if you hear those photek trademark beats elsewhere, it always feels a bit "meh" - cause it's so obvious where they came from. bit strange, since nobody has problems using the same funk breaks over and over again. but of course it's different.

Chin depends how it's done, i think...

eg, DSP's 'No Evil' - def my fave track of his - and quite obvious about sampling a couple of Photek breaks...i fucking love it for that though Hyper

Absolutely no difference for me between nicking that or an ancient funk break, it's just a killer sound - esp when it's used for little switches/fills like in that track (i'd admit that just using a full nicked Photek break as the main backbone to a dnb track would be a bit questionable Roll)

but yeah, years down the line they'll prob (hopefully) be pitched about and used in hip hop/whatever else comes along anway. if it works, fuck it/sample it Xyxthumbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone know the break Photek used in... Ben Kei 11 11,191 9th December 2010, 10:31
Last Post: LXC
  Jungle sample disc with sampled Photek break??? WTF??? snaper 20 18,118 15th January 2010, 17:51
Last Post: snaper
  photek - t'raenon - what break? amon'' 3 6,198 25th June 2008, 19:25
Last Post: Clear Concept