Monitor placement/metal work......

3 Replies, 1634 Views

Posted this on a couple of other forums but maybe you good folks here could help out on this.....

Here's my situation. I currently have my monitors set up on proper sand filled monitor stands, however they are a couple of inches too high for me in my comfortable slouchy position. I think I have two options here....

1: Sack the monitor stands, get some monitor mounting blocks and place them on my desk.

2: Hit the yellow pages and see if a metal work firm can knock a couple of inches of the stands and re-sit the tops on a shorter stand.

I've never worked with metal (other than some shit bands).

Are there any tradesmen out there? Would option 2 be possible?

Saves me splashing out on £100 for the pads.

And a question for Subvert (unless anyone else has the minerals to explain)

My monitors are currently 17 inches from the walls and have corner traps directly behind them, as well as panel traps on the side and front walls (behind the monitors).

Would moving the speakers forward a foot or so give me noticeable problems with phase cancellation/comb filtering in the bass?

Got my book and test gear so I'll really be nailing it soon but if you can help out a little that would be massively appreciated!
assemblyworker Wrote:My monitors are currently 17 inches from the walls and have corner traps directly behind them, as well as panel traps on the side and front walls (behind the monitors).

Would moving the speakers forward a foot or so give me noticeable problems with phase cancellation/comb filtering in the bass?

Most likely, yes.

That is, YES but having them in a different position will result in other factors coming into play (different room excitation etc). So all those effects will add up and it's a mother to predict how it's all going to work out. Get thee measuring Smile Move them 4-6 inches forward, back, keep everything marked so you can return, and see how the response changes.

Worth bearing in mind is that if you are in a small room, then being closer to the wall will reinforce the low end, but also make the comb filtering move upwards frequency wise, effectively making it easier to absorb. Handy one I read the other day that I really should have thought of Hahaha
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
I think I covered everything i had to say at dnba Xyxthumbs
Indeed you did Sir. I promise to keep bugging you until I school my sorry arse up on this shit! Lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Monitor Screens Annastay 14 4,440 30th April 2011, 08:26
Last Post: Ashtonron
  Monitor speakers! SmG 38 7,772 14th January 2009, 09:17
Last Post: Ashtonron
  Monitor thush-ara 7 7,374 13th September 2008, 13:27
Last Post: thush-ara
  19" widescreen monitor appreciation Macc 24 5,894 15th January 2008, 14:23
Last Post: dodz
  Speaker placement Raychem 11 3,456 1st August 2007, 00:26
Last Post: Senator Adam