FATSO appreciation thread.

6 Replies, 3801 Views

(copied from UA forum...)

Im loving the fatso at the mo, tend to stick it on the end of the chain (no limiter) doing a couple of dBs reduction.

I had to mix down 5 tunes very quickly over the weekend and have to admit used the master bus preset as a starting point, then fiddled to suit. They all sounded awesome, yellow light just flashing on peaks, 1-3dB reduction on the comp.

My normal chain is nebula Preamp>VCA>Helios but i added the fatso at the end and it really improved things, punchier, phatter and warmer, to use all the cliches... =)

I found myself adding a 4dB more of top from the helios then taming it with the warmth on the fatso.

Also been using it on the drum bus, more aggressive settings, tranny around 7, 5 or 6dB reduction (after the 33609 doing 2-4) and a bit of warmth, again cranking the high end before (by increasing the volume of the hihats rather than eq). Obviously these settings changed, but i have a failry standard working method, and suited most of the tunes straight off. It squashed it all together magnificently, while making even more punchy somehow.

I absolutely love the Fatso...

Lovesmilie Lovesmilie Lovesmilie

UA heads should grab it. Non ua heads should buy a UAD2 then grab it...
It is MAD PHAT, GET MEEEEEEEE

Don't get to use it often here but when it's the thing, it's the thing!
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
more of a tracking thing tho innit?

Luvverly stuff, bought in dec sales, only just got a chance to have a proper go.

(looking at selling a couple of uad1s and getting another duo... Nervous )
Aye, tis more for tracking but sometimes the warmth thing feels better than A De-esser (which I use all the time). Also for thin shitty mixes you can give them low mid beef with the tranny bizzle on the senior Xyxthumbs
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
In 8 weeks or so i should hopefully have a UAD-2 quad!!Mrgreen

Will try and blag the guys at ua for some freebies for upgrading too Punk
Not had much UAD love in here recently, this thing is still ridiculously good, goes on everything, master included. Lots of small adjustments added up. rather than smashing, but yum.

:yum:
Yeah it does add something 'special' when used in small amounts, same as when you just nudge the pultec dials up a tad rather than smashing it. Homerdrool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FATSO, EMT Reverb & new Neve for UAD out! Paradigm X 21 6,389 4th January 2010, 11:57
Last Post: Paradigm X
  UAD-2 and Fatso Emulation ?? subvert 12 4,191 4th January 2008, 12:32
Last Post: Macc
  My PC appreciation thread Macc 44 8,048 6th July 2006, 17:28
Last Post: Statto
  Totally not giving a monkey's sessions appreciation thread Macc 9 2,955 14th June 2005, 16:17
Last Post: Macc
  aphex optical compressor appreciation thread SETI 4 2,157 12th April 2005, 11:04
Last Post: SETI